Bull pick of this years crop

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Bull pick of this years crop

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:33 am

Loved watching my husband walk around this calf.. He really likes it, looked back at me and said, "You aren't banding this one!"

Image
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 642
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: Near the Mason Dixon line

Re: Bull pick of this years crop

Postby MRRherefords » Mon May 21, 2018 8:59 am

Nice looking calf. There always seems to be that one that you look at when it is young and see the potential as a bull already in it.
1 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Bull pick of this years crop

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:44 am

Really hoping he's brindle.. We had one last year that was a maroon brindle but we banded that herd very early. He was beautiful and weaned out at over 700 pounds... This years calf is built better though, he's wide and long. We have an older bull that is so longed bodied, we've tried to work that into our cows for about 5 years.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Lazy M
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: KY

Re: Bull pick of this years crop

Postby Lazy M » Mon May 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Looks to be pretty thick across his back
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6946
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Bull pick of this years crop

Postby Bright Raven » Mon May 21, 2018 7:46 pm

Nice picture. Thanks
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4273
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: Bull pick of this years crop

Postby sim.-ang.king » Mon May 21, 2018 10:14 pm

Looks promising, could work if his legs are built right.
What's his breeding?
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Bull pick of this years crop

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:35 am

sim.-ang.king wrote:Looks promising, could work if his legs are built right.
What's his breeding?

Sim/angus
We bought a bull from our daughter who is sim/simbra/angus and black Hereford. He is the ugliest bull. Legs are horrible. BUt he produces the biggest heavy built calves that sold well. We almost sold him this winter, but we kept a few heifers out of him and they also grew huge quick but legs are nice. So we'll keep him for another season. We also bought a reg angus bull. Got in a bull pinch and needed one. Bought a AI guys cleanup bull that didn't sell because he was short. Every calf out of him are the longest legged calves...lol...You can pick them out easily, well, also because they are solid and the other bulls produce w/f....but, if they were all solid you'd be able to pick his out. It will be interesting to see how they grow out, if the legs stay long...even though his are short..lol
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4273
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: Bull pick of this years crop

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue May 22, 2018 8:23 am

So he's out the angus bull, and not the cross bull with bad legs?
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Bull pick of this years crop

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:29 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:So he's out the angus bull, and not the cross bull with bad legs?

No he's not out of the black Hereford.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6824
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Bull pick of this years crop

Postby M-5 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:22 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:So he's out the angus bull, and not the cross bull with bad legs?




SimAngus
Any animal whose parents are both registered and is at least 1/8 Simmental and 1/4 Angus and no more than 1/4 other breed
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Bull pick of this years crop

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:04 pm

M-5 wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:So he's out the angus bull, and not the cross bull with bad legs?




SimAngus
Any animal whose parents are both registered and is at least 1/8 Simmental and 1/4 Angus and no more than 1/4 other breed

Most of our sims from the 80s and 90s were reg, we just didn't reg them. When we went angus, we only bought reg angus...so, they are a mixture of sim and angus of various %......so, tech to us, they are sim/angus....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15389
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful

Re: Bull pick of this years crop

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue May 22, 2018 5:15 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
M-5 wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:So he's out the angus bull, and not the cross bull with bad legs?




SimAngus
Any animal whose parents are both registered and is at least 1/8 Simmental and 1/4 Angus and no more than 1/4 other breed

Most of our sims from the 80s and 90s were reg, we just didn't reg them. When we went angus, we only bought reg angus...so, they are a mixture of sim and angus of various %......so, tech to us, they are sim/angus....
in mixes like that, as good as the crossbred calf looks.it's a gamble if he can atleast reproduce himself, let alone better than..
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Bull pick of this years crop

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:10 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:in mixes like that, as good as the crossbred calf looks.it's a gamble if he can atleast reproduce himself, let alone better than..

We are finally getting where we want. That red bull of ours, last year, pulled all his bull calves born Feb to May, hauled to the sale barn where they grouped most of them at the average of 651 pounds and sold for over 1000 a calf...So, I can confidently say they produce themselves..
Not sure what we do different than others who cant do this, but we have it working. I think someone here said its probably because our cows are good...Well, we've raised all our cows and yes, our cows are outstanding.
Bull with the bad legs has that wild gene we look for. Although I say his legs are bad, bad is his back legs are a little posty and him being so big its a little strange looking..This bull has such tremendous growth, although he didn't stop growing. He stands over a foot taller than out biggest cows at 3 with not one drop of feed or special treatment after he was weaned and his calves seem to be born moderate weight. He also has skurs, but, that's not too bothersome..but we did have a calf with skurs which is..BUt, we'll probably just sell that calf anyway.. This is our first year to get many calves out of him, he only produced a few last year since he was the youngest bull in the pasture.. We left a few bulls out of him bulls.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1095
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: Bull pick of this years crop

Postby elkwc » Wed May 23, 2018 5:35 am

cowgirl8 wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:in mixes like that, as good as the crossbred calf looks.it's a gamble if he can atleast reproduce himself, let alone better than..

We are finally getting where we want. That red bull of ours, last year, pulled all his bull calves born Feb to May, hauled to the sale barn where they grouped most of them at the average of 651 pounds and sold for over 1000 a calf...So, I can confidently say they produce themselves..
Not sure what we do different than others who cant do this, but we have it working. I think someone here said its probably because our cows are good...Well, we've raised all our cows and yes, our cows are outstanding.
Bull with the bad legs has that wild gene we look for. Although I say his legs are bad, bad is his back legs are a little posty and him being so big its a little strange looking..This bull has such tremendous growth, although he didn't stop growing. He stands over a foot taller than out biggest cows at 3 with not one drop of feed or special treatment after he was weaned and his calves seem to be born moderate weight. He also has skurs, but, that's not too bothersome..but we did have a calf with skurs which is..BUt, we'll probably just sell that calf anyway.. This is our first year to get many calves out of him, he only produced a few last year since he was the youngest bull in the pasture.. We left a few bulls out of him bulls.


It is apparrent you have a program that works for you. It is hard for some to say a positive word. Jealousy doesn't look good on a person. Like I say if it works for you that is what matters. And pounds pay and it sounds like you are getting there also. By now the buyers at the barn know your cattle and that is why they sell well. They know how they will feed and do on the rail. Keep the pictures coming. Enjoy seeing them.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4702
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Bull pick of this years crop

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:40 am

elkwc wrote:It is apparrent you have a program that works for you. It is hard for some to say a positive word. Jealousy doesn't look good on a person. Like I say if it works for you that is what matters. And pounds pay and it sounds like you are getting there also. By now the buyers at the barn know your cattle and that is why they sell well. They know how they will feed and do on the rail. Keep the pictures coming. Enjoy seeing them.

Thank you...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SmileyRyanSCC and 6 guests