How much Angus is to much?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: How much Angus is to much?

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu May 31, 2018 4:45 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:Careful with the pounds pi$$in match or the canadians may show up.

Those cows would melt most of the worlds beef comes from sub tropical regions.
Got to remember most of the worlds cattle herd is bos indicus influenced with over 40% of the US cow herd.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu May 31, 2018 5:02 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Supa Dexta wrote:Careful with the pounds pi$$in match or the canadians may show up.

Got to remember most of the worlds cattle herd is bos indicus influenced with over 40% of the US cow herd.

And a lot of it is cooked in a cave on a stick. There's a good market for quality prime beef, and it doesn't have to be Kobe or Wagau, but it can't be Brahman.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Thu May 31, 2018 5:12 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Just because a breed of cattle does well in a certain environment, doesn't mean it's a good eating experience. CAB excels on the dinner plate as steaks, the southern heat tolerant breeds make great hamburgers. Finding a happy medium between the two is what I'm looking for.
CB, have you ever ate any venison from the corn belt? Venison from the corn belt has more of a beef flavor and is a more tender piece of meat. Open your eyes to the big picture, everyone isn't so lucky to be from the south.

Environmental adaptability is the first thing you should select for in a cow. Then select a bull that produces the kind of calf you are looking for. There are Santa Gertrudis and Brangus breeders selecting for improved carcass traits so don't let that stop you. A 3/8 blood bull (Gert or Brangus) on your English bred will produce a calf with less than 1/4 blood Brahman influence (actually 3/16). Buyers here will place those 3/16 influence calves right on the same orders as the best calves and never bat an eye.

What goes through an order buyers mind?
1) Does the calf fit an order I have?
2) What is the sex of the calf? Is it a bull, steer or heifer?
3)What is the estimated quality?
4) What does the calf weigh?
5) Is the calf the right color?
6) Does it fit my money?
It is all about perception AND it has to be done in 8 to 12 seconds. At nearly all the sales here, the cattle are weighed as they leave the ring so you have to be pretty good at estimating weight.

Check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBA_kHwf54c
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu May 31, 2018 5:27 pm

Buyer couldn't nap there..thats fast..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu May 31, 2018 6:16 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

And a lot of it is cooked in a cave on a stick. There's a good market for quality prime beef, and it doesn't have to be Kobe or Wagau, but it can't be Brahman.

Why are you infusing them in your herd?
To improve your herd?
You seem confused one thread your wanting to add more influence the next thread your bashing the direction you want to head.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu May 31, 2018 6:53 pm

TG
I listened to a speaker once that was a buyer for one of the nations largest feedlots. He was asked a question about how much ear he wanted in cattle for the feedlot. His answer was just enough to know it had some Brahma influence but only if your looking really close. Based on that I would be looking at Brangus. I think both Brahman and Brangus have something to bring to the table I just think for what your trying to achieve the Brangus is a better fit.

Gizmom
1 x
Respect give it to get it!

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:02 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:We're an Angus based crossbred operation. I'm wanting to add some Brahma to the mix, will I get enough Brahman infuence using Brangus bulls? I plan on following the Brangus with Braford. Just wondering if I should go the Braford route first. The problem is I need to have some black calves for my commercial heifer sales. Everything you do in the cattle business takes a long time to see the results.

Im confused. Do you want to make Super Baldies or was the a Brahman bashing deal?

If you want awesome baldies go Brahman over Angus, the take the F1s back to Hereford.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu May 31, 2018 7:38 pm

gizmom wrote:TG
I listened to a speaker once that was a buyer for one of the nations largest feedlots. He was asked a question about how much ear he wanted in cattle for the feedlot. His answer was just enough to know it had some Brahma influence but only if your looking really close. Based on that I would be looking at Brangus. I think both Brahman and Brangus have something to bring to the table I just think for what your trying to achieve the Brangus is a better fit.

Gizmom

Braford as a composite seem to be more standardized than Brangus IMO.
You will see some Brangus showing more Brahman characteristics the next more Angus standing in the same herd.
I like both the knock on Bradford’s is registered are harder to come by in my area. To be fair not near as many registered Braford to compare to.
The F-1 Braford is queen here.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu May 31, 2018 7:54 pm

The F1 braford is perfect for southern commercial herds..they'll work with the bull of your choosing..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu May 31, 2018 8:03 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:The F1 braford is perfect for southern commercial herds..they'll work with the bull of your choosing..

I concur.
A Char bull will make monster calves that will bust the scales.
I prefer Angus on those girls.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu May 31, 2018 8:14 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

Don't tell CB that. He just ordered a new set of store bought teeth to eat those brimmers with.
2 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu May 31, 2018 8:23 pm

The above post is by a person that ran Brahman composites. Brangus wasn’t it?
So you tried to post as a comedian .
Hilarious.
0 x

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Thu May 31, 2018 9:35 pm

BC wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Just because a breed of cattle does well in a certain environment, doesn't mean it's a good eating experience. CAB excels on the dinner plate as steaks, the southern heat tolerant breeds make great hamburgers. Finding a happy medium between the two is what I'm looking for.
CB, have you ever ate any venison from the corn belt? Venison from the corn belt has more of a beef flavor and is a more tender piece of meat. Open your eyes to the big picture, everyone isn't so lucky to be from the south.

Environmental adaptability is the first thing you should select for in a cow. Then select a bull that produces the kind of calf you are looking for. There are Santa Gertrudis and Brangus breeders selecting for improved carcass traits so don't let that stop you. A 3/8 blood bull (Gert or Brangus) on your English bred will produce a calf with less than 1/4 blood Brahman influence (actually 3/16). Buyers here will place those 3/16 influence calves right on the same orders as the best calves and never bat an eye.

What goes through an order buyers mind?
1) Does the calf fit an order I have?
2) What is the sex of the calf? Is it a bull, steer or heifer?
3)What is the estimated quality?
4) What does the calf weigh?
5) Is the calf the right color?
6) Does it fit my money?
It is all about perception AND it has to be done in 8 to 12 seconds. At nearly all the sales here, the cattle are weighed as they leave the ring so you have to be pretty good at estimating weight.

Check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBA_kHwf54c

One of the best post I ever read on this board.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:45 am

Brute 23 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:We're an Angus based crossbred operation. I'm wanting to add some Brahma to the mix, will I get enough Brahman infuence using Brangus bulls? I plan on following the Brangus with Braford. Just wondering if I should go the Braford route first. The problem is I need to have some black calves for my commercial heifer sales. Everything you do in the cattle business takes a long time to see the results.

Im confused. Do you want to make Super Baldies or was the a Brahman bashing deal?

If you want awesome baldies go Brahman over Angus, the take the F1s back to Hereford.

No bashing Brute, but I need a 1/4 Brahman influence or less to sell replacement heifers around here for top money, and they really need to be black. I have enough Angus influence in my herd that I feel we'll have plenty of black calves even if I go the Braford route.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:12 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

No bashing Brute, but I need a 1/4 Brahman influence or less to sell replacement heifers around here for top money, and they really need to be black. I have enough Angus influence in my herd that I feel we'll have plenty of black calves even if I go the Braford route.

Ya go Brahman Bull to make F1s to put in your pasture. Then when you go back with Angus again you will have 1/4 to sell.

It will be harder to get uniform cattle going Brangus over your Angus.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Return to “Breeds Board”