An Ironhide

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: An Ironhide

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:01 am

I was way more impressed with the picture of the first one. But, we know what pictures can do for an animal!
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:45 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I was way more impressed with the picture of the first one. But, we know what pictures can do for an animal!

I am glad the guy got that first one. He has turned out very nice. This bull is out of a cow with more frame, more narrow in the rear but she has been a very good cow.

This is my opinion - if I had a choice (forgive me - Aaron), I would probably use this bull over the other one because this bull's dam has been spectacular. Kinda the same scenario that Jehosafat has with his bull. His bull has flaws but he is out of a great cow family.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:13 am

Is it Grass Lunnings that's having a dispersal this fall?
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:23 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I was way more impressed with the picture of the first one. But, we know what pictures can do for an animal!

I am glad the guy got that first one. He has turned out very nice. This bull is out of a cow with more frame, more narrow in the rear but she has been a very good cow.

This is my opinion - if I had a choice (forgive me - Aaron), I would probably use this bull over the other one because this bull's dam has been spectacular. Kinda the same scenario that Jehosafat has with his bull. His bull has flaws but he is out of a great cow family.

A great cow is extremely important - but she is only 1/2 the equation. Great cow - meaning a super fertile cow, easy keeper, good disposition, good feet & legs is important, but she has to have the right phenotype to produce salable purebred offspring - or bred to a bull that improves/compliments her phenotype.
The problem with using a cow that is not "really" what you want your "ideal" cow to look like, you can get that perfect looking calf bred to the right bull, but their offspring will be hit & miss. Some taking after the dam side, some taking after the sire.
Edit: meaning the grand sons or grand daughters may be hit & miss. As an example: Big frame bull mated with a small frame cow, may = a medium frame bull calf. But, someone buying that bull, may have a calf crop that is anywhere from large to medium to small frame.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Franke » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:41 pm

FlyingLSimmentals wrote:Is it Grass Lunnings that's having a dispersal this fall?

Yes they are
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”