An Ironhide

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Re: An Ironhide

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:33 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Sounds like longevity could be a serious problem. The truth is, only believe half of what you see, and nothing that you hear.

He is in the top 20% for for STAY, which means his offspring will be around for awhile....
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Sounds like longevity could be a serious problem. The truth is, only believe half of what you see, and nothing that you hear.

In the case of Ironhide - it was an accident. Unless one of the cows was mad at him.

You said he had a rupture at first, you only know what you've been led to believe. Look at how many young AI Sires are deceased in all breeds, coincidence? I don't buy it.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:02 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

In the case of Ironhide - it was an accident. Unless one of the cows was mad at him.

You said he had a rupture at first, you only know what you've been led to believe. Look at how many young AI Sires are deceased in all breeds, coincidence? I don't buy it.

It pays to be cautious but you need to guard against being too skeptical.
1 x
Make America Happy Again

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:56 pm

Very impressive young bull! I like his sire too.
1 x
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:02 am

Several years back, we bought one cane of Triple C Singletary... steers were good, daughters were nice, but we only ended up with two of them. Wanted some more, but he was off Genex's list... they claimed he was dead... but I later heard that there were more calving difficulties with his calves (we didn't have any) than they were comfortable with and dropped him... but the bull was still alive and servicing cows at Wicks Cattle in ND.
So... I don't always buy the official line on why a bull falls off the list of offerings.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:38 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:

He is in the top 20% for for STAY, which means his offspring will be around for awhile....

He looks solid...
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:

Not if he comes up with a false positive test. Are the folks that came up with a false positive test and then dispatched the bull, the same one's that collect and sort semen? If that doesn't smell fishy I don't know what a fish smells like.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:He looks good. Did you have several Ironhide calves?

Yes. They all look good. I saw the bull at Genex in Springfield, MO where he was collected. At the time, he was suffering a rupture - type where the intestine enters the scrotum. He has since been put down. Semen is now $50 per straw. I only bought 5 straws but I got 4 calves and one due this fall.

You are confusing two different bulls Ron. Wide Track had a scrotal hernia, after being allowed to live cover cows at Owen Brothers farm. He then had a false positive for a genetic disease, which was his death sentence. They later showed it was a false positive, but he had already been disposed of.
Iron Hide was out with cows in the fall, and his scrotum got stepped on. When they went to collect him at Genex, they discovered his injury and could not get anything out of him. He has been disposed of. YES, his semen went up to $50 a straw.

Hope that straightens things up....

How did they know a cow stepped on him? Did someone see it happen or did the cow leave a footprint in his balls?

Ken
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:52 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:

Not if he comes up with a false positive test. Are the folks that came up with a false positive test and then dispatched the bull, the same one's that collect and sort semen? If that doesn't smell fishy I don't know what a fish smells like.

My fine feathered friend, you are duplicating my mistake and confusing two different bulls. Wide Track is the bull who had a scrotal hernia. Quoting Fire Sweep, "Wide Track had a scrotal hernia, after being allowed to live cover cows at Owen Brothers farm. He had a false positive for a genetic disease, which was his death sentence. They later showed it was a false positive, but he had already been disposed of." That bull has no connection to Ironhide and that part of this thread would not have been posted if I had not mistakenly thought that was Ironhide. If that is a kettle of fish, so be it. It has NOTHING to do with Ironhide.

The line on Ironhide is "Iron Hide was out with cows in the fall, and his scrotum got stepped on. When they went to collect him at Genex, they discovered his injury and could not get anything out of him. He has been disposed of."
Quoting Fire Sweep.

The data cited as top 20 % for STAY is for Ironhide not Wide Track.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Well whatever, he didn't get the job done is all that matters. They assumed his scrotum got stepped on is what it sounds like to me. I know nothing of the bull besides he looked like a excellent specimen, and he didn't work out and is now deceased.
What does a top 20% for STAY mean when he's dead?
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:34 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Well whatever, he didn't get the job done is all that matters. They assumed his scrotum got stepped on is what it sounds like to me. I know nothing of the bull besides he looked like a excellent specimen, and he didn't work out and is now deceased.

TG I have the same question about several former AI sires. They have good longtivity EPD's but are dead before they turn 5. But I'm beginning to wonder if many don't feel 5 for a bull and maybe 6-7 for a cow is longtivity.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:37 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Well whatever, he didn't get the job done is all that matters. They assumed his scrotum got stepped on is what it sounds like to me. I know nothing of the bull besides he looked like a excellent specimen, and he didn't work out and is now deceased.

I assume they could put it on his tombstone:

Here lies Ironhide. He was in the top 20 % for STAY.

Lol
0 x
Make America Happy Again

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:43 pm

elkwc wrote:

TG I have the same question about several former AI sires. They have good longtivity EPD's but are dead before they turn 5. But I'm beginning to wonder if many don't feel 5 for a bull and maybe 6-7 for a cow is longtivity.

I'm wondering if the collection process has something to do with longevity of AI bulls? And I also wonder if getting bulls semen tested yearly might not be such a good idea? My neighbor has some of my bulls that are over 9 years old and are expected to cover 40+ head each, they have only been semen tested once at 14 months.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:44 pm

Bright Raven wrote:

Lol

There's countless numbers of good AI bulls deceased at young ages.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:49 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Lol

There's countless numbers of good AI bulls deceased at young ages.

On the other hand, there were a lot of AI bulls that it seemed like they were in collection forever. I suspect someone has written an assessment.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

Return to “Breeds Board”