Daughter's herd

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Re: Daughter's herd

Postby greatgerts » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:47 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
greatgerts wrote:
Then I guess he needs to send her out to get a job to pay him for those animals.

Not sure if you all are joking or not, but to clear up a couple of things.... She is four, those pictures were all taken in the last six months. If you can't tell from them that she earns her stock, I can't help you.
my post was kidding for sure...I think y'all are doing great...bringing her up right..

I know you were. My 4 year old twins have their own herd started as well. Last year they got a bred heifer and an open heifer each. Both bred heifers had heifers of their own. One had a hernia. We did surgery on that to repair it. A couple hundred dollars didn't seem bad to spend on my kid. She lasted about a week after surgery. Fluid kept building up at the site, and we were diligent in draining it, but something else must've been wrong. The other heifer, at about 4 months old, got bloated on us. Got her back down, but it would come back. Vet saw her 3 times before we took her to the university for them to look at her. They did not find any specific reason during their exploratory surgery, but seemed to be doing ok. She lasted 10 days after surgery.
At spring work up, all of their animals are bred, and one of them had the last calf of the spring, and it was another heifer. They absolutely love going out and seeing their animals. Now, I just have to start the 2 year olds with some...
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:22 am

I loved Jan's comments. Spot on.
My daughter (now in 50's) had a mare that had a colt. Colt started stumbling, couldn't walk, vet out, ended up dying. Vet didn't know what was wrong so wanted to do an autopsy. Thought Michelle might need to go to house (she was about 5 yr old). We said no, and she said NO!! During the autopsy, she asked if it would hurt anything if they ate the meat. Vet said no, but why did she ask? Well, she said, I know my Dad will drag him out back and my dog will eat him!
It was matter of fact. Didn't bother her at all. That was farm life. She understood.
You are doing a GREAT job being DAD.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:11 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I loved Jan's comments. Spot on.
My daughter (now in 50's) had a mare that had a colt. Colt started stumbling, couldn't walk, vet out, ended up dying. Vet didn't know what was wrong so wanted to do an autopsy. Thought Michelle might need to go to house (she was about 5 yr old). We said no, and she said NO!! During the autopsy, she asked if it would hurt anything if they ate the meat. Vet said no, but why did she ask? Well, she said, I know my Dad will drag him out back and my dog will eat him!
It was matter of fact. Didn't bother her at all. That was farm life. She understood.
You are doing a GREAT job being DAD.

I appreciate your sentiment with the last comment Jeanne, but I am actually her MOM lol! As for the death part, she has already had one of her goats die, so she understands that it happens, if not what it really means yet.
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:09 pm

Oops! My bad! LOL
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:25 pm

I'm made the same mistake, Jeanne. Sorry BJB! Maybe a sex icon indicator could be implemented, or is that not allowable? lol
1 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:25 pm

slick4591 wrote:I'm made the same mistake, Jeanne. Sorry BJB! Maybe a sex icon indicator could be implemented, or is that not allowable? lol
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Oops! My bad! LOL

No harm, no foul! I'm used to it.
1 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Return to “Breeds Board”