Dr. Tim is a sneaky old fart, Methylation

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Dr. Tim is a sneaky old fart, Methylation

Postby JWBrahman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:21 am

http://herefordtalk.com/thread/3477/methylation

Folks, Dr. Tim already knows the answer to the question he is asking.

This is about the polled Hereford vs horned Hereford debate and takes a big swing at the whole purity thread on Herefordtalk.

Now we both know that horns are popping up on linebred Angus with way too many generations of polled animals behind em. The average operation does not know this because they are not running the large numbers of similar genetics. It's happening in locations where you ain't sposed to raise Angus.

Does that mean we got somethin lurkin in the woodpile or was the actual genetics of the animal turned on or off by methylation?
:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:
2 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Re: Dr. Tim is a sneaky old fart, Methylation

Postby Ky hills » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:20 am

Don't know what that m word really means. I can say that as to horns on Angus years ago, I saw two different herds of presumably purebred Angus that had likely both become inbred. Saw some individuals in both herds that had horns. At the time I figured maybe they had become so inbred that the horns had come back to the surface from way way back. Those instances were 25 to 30 years ago, so the other breeds had not went black at least around here so I am sure that it wasn't from a neighbors bull. The animals also looked liked their polled herd mates and not crosses.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Dr. Tim is a sneaky old fart, Methylation

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:20 am

Does Dr Tim smoke Meth or does he believe Herefords do? I hear it can cause delusions.
Does he believe he has discovered a line of non-polled Herefords? I've heard some referred to as Horned Herefords.
As for horned Angus I've seen Angus sprout horns when mated to Holsteins.... so maybe he is on/or onto something.
1 x

Return to “Breeds Board”