My favorite little heifer...

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Contact:

My favorite little heifer...

Postby NEFarmwife » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Fall of 2016, we bought a bred heifer from a local cattle company. She ended up giving us a mess of a calf. Not impressive but you hoped she was just an underdog. Deeply disappointed. But she was a Belvin Tres Patron sired calf and surely a big mistake on breeders part.

Fast forward, we knew we needed to be tried and true, breeding her again. We chose to use Up N Coming (Styles Upgrade full brother, my FIL is part owner of) that has always produced great females for us. The reward? She is the most beautiful young heifer we have. Hard to get a great pic but here she is!

Image


I do realize my preference will differ from others but she really tickles my fancy! We have a few heifers that look like bulls. I prefer this girl over the others but I’m sure they’ll all grow into themselves.
4 x

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15219
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful

Re: My favorite little heifer...

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:40 pm

Nice straight and Long bodied little gal...
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 405
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: My favorite little heifer...

Postby Air gator » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:18 pm

Aren't we all the same way? I love all my heifers.
In this case, she is really nice.
Just wondering does Baldridge Isabel have a brother somewhere?
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6447
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: My favorite little heifer...

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:28 pm

A very lovely heifer. :cboy:

I like her a lot!
0 x
Make America Happy Again

southernultrablack
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:12 am
Location: Northeast Alabama

Re: My favorite little heifer...

Postby southernultrablack » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Nice! I like her!!
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Contact:

Re: My favorite little heifer...

Postby NEFarmwife » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:31 pm

This one is an ET of RB Confirmed/SAV Abigale

https://image.ibb.co/dzpK3d/9222_F055_B1_D4_4_ADC_9_D04_1_AC1_E5083630.jpg

She’s growing good, not the best picture and I wish she’d lose that coat. Her recip mom is a good milker and makes really good calves herself but she was only one of a few cows that were ready for ET’s at the time.

We have a MAR Fate bull calf that looks like he works out at Golds Gym in his spare time, that also has a soggy bottom (reminds me of Resource). If he grows right, he’ll be our next herd bull. I can’t get a pic that does him justice but I think him and Ms. Abby are best friends. They are always together, side by side and he goes to her outside like he doesn’t want us to bother her.

Our donor has a nice female too but she helps herself in and out of our pen to the sorghum so she’s hard to get a pic of. It’s like Where’s Waldo.
0 x

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1509
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY

Re: My favorite little heifer...

Postby Ky hills » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:41 pm

Very nice heifer. :tiphat:
0 x

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2727
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Contact:

Re: My favorite little heifer...

Postby gizmom » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:01 pm

Both are really nice heifers, tat first calf is really long and sweet fronted. I can’t get any good photos of our cattle right now it’s so dang hot they don’t come out much during the day.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:42 pm
Location: SE MN

Re: My favorite little heifer...

Postby Franke » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:16 pm

Nice calves
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Contact:

Re: My favorite little heifer...

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:19 pm

gizmom wrote:Both are really nice heifers, tat first calf is really long and sweet fronted. I can’t get any good photos of our cattle right now it’s so dang hot they don’t come out much during the day.

Gizmom

I am a hobby photographer. I can capture about everything BUT a nice looking calf or cow. Turds! They’re just not photogenic.
0 x

Chris H
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1572
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Ohio

Re: My favorite little heifer...

Postby Chris H » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:23 pm

You folks with red tinged black cattle, how much copper is in your loose mineral? I have Herefords, went with a mineral mix with 2500 ppm copper and my Herfs got a rich red coat, except a few that some ranchers call 'mellow yellow' but it's a nice shiny coat. It also tightened up my calving schedule.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Contact:

Re: My favorite little heifer...

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:18 pm

Chris H wrote:You folks with red tinged black cattle, how much copper is in your loose mineral? I have Herefords, went with a mineral mix with 2500 ppm copper and my Herfs got a rich red coat, except a few that some ranchers call 'mellow yellow' but it's a nice shiny coat. It also tightened up my calving schedule.

“I” personally couldn’t answer that for you but I know we supplement them heavily and have a nutritionist and a feed guy (Hubbard and CPMI) who ensure our cattle get everything they need. Our pregnancy rates on first AI for 500 head of cattle is roughly 85% at 90 days.

The reddish coat is seen in a few bloodlines but grow out of it by yearlings. They’ll all be pure black by December.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Contact:

Re: My favorite little heifer...

Postby NEFarmwife » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:35 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:We have a MAR Fate bull calf that looks like he works out at Golds Gym in his spare time, that also has a soggy bottom (reminds me of Resource). If he grows right, he’ll be our next herd bull. I can’t get a pic that does him justice but I think him and Ms. Abby are best friends. They are always together, side by side and he goes to her outside like he doesn’t want us to bother her.



I finally got some pics of him that look decent.
https://www.facebook.com/759292160893257/posts/1103892729766530/
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3807
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: My favorite little heifer...

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:02 pm

Yes, he does look the goods. What camera do you use? I recently bought a Panasonic Lumix point and shoot camera to take photos of my sale bulls and it has improved my photos a lot. It has great zoom and it brings out the muscle detail of the bull against various backgrounds that aren't favourable.

Ken
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Contact:

Re: My favorite little heifer...

Postby NEFarmwife » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:18 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Yes, he does look the goods. What camera do you use? I recently bought a Panasonic Lumix point and shoot camera to take photos of my sale bulls and it has improved my photos a lot. It has great zoom and it brings out the muscle detail of the bull against various backgrounds that aren't favourable.

Ken



I have a Cannon Rebel T3 with 6 different lenses but I just took these with my iPhone. I like to take my nice camera when we are just looking but had to treat a calf and do a check off. I take a list of cow/calfs with me and my husband calls #s and I check them off my list. So, it was a day of work, not pleasure. Those days, we hit 6-8 pastures. Still fun but it’s an entire day of work.
1 x


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests