My new Wagyu bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Re: My new Wagyu bull

Post by cow pollinater » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:34 pm

gaurus wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:06 pm
cow pollinater wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:18 pm
I can show you bulls from just about any breed that have carcass traits that will meet or beat an average angus on the grid. There ARE really great angus bulls out there but to imply that your product is superior based on a breed choice is not correct.
Well yeah when comparing top 10% of other british breeds(top 1% of continental and 0.001% to Zebu) I am sure you can beat an "Average Angus", but when comparing the best with best, you just can't beat an Angus.

You're making a very common mistake. Marbling is only one factor on the grid. If we're talking about total premiums as the basis for success, then yes, you can beat angus. It helps to have angus in the mix but the industry standard calf is three quarters english, one quarter continental. Carcasses that grade prime have a real bad habit of being YG4 and the discount for YG4 is larger than the premium for prime on most grids. Choice, YG1 or 2 is a much more profitable animal.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:14 am

cow pollinater wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:34 pm
gaurus wrote:
cow pollinater wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:18 pm
I can show you bulls from just about any breed that have carcass traits that will meet or beat an average angus on the grid. There ARE really great angus bulls out there but to imply that your product is superior based on a breed choice is not correct.
Well yeah when comparing top 10% of other british breeds(top 1% of continental and 0.001% to Zebu) I am sure you can beat an "Average Angus", but when comparing the best with best, you just can't beat an Angus.

You're making a very common mistake. Marbling is only one factor on the grid. If we're talking about total premiums as the basis for success, then yes, you can beat angus. It helps to have angus in the mix but the industry standard calf is three quarters english, one quarter continental. Carcasses that grade prime have a real bad habit of being YG4 and the discount for YG4 is larger than the premium for prime on most grids. Choice, YG1 or 2 is a much more profitable animal.
I thought we were talking eating experience - quality not profit.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:51 am

Around here you can go to the butcher and they name their angus beef, Wagyu beef and everything else is just beef. Says a lot right there. Never see simmental or hereford beef. I think speckle park might make an impact moving forward. Personally i would choose murray grey over any other. Red poll is right up there for good eating in taste tests but in my experience i have never found it better than anything else. I will say any Brahman i have had has not been much to talk about. I have tried many but not all breeds.

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:13 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:14 am
cow pollinater wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:34 pm
gaurus wrote:

I thought we were talking eating experience - quality not profit.
Won't be much of a eating experience for a lot of people without profit.

Stickney94
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Stickney94 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:05 am

So this is an F1 Angus and Wagyu cross ribeye steak (hopefully viewable below) This was from a Heifer. Slaughtered at 21 months of age. Traditional Wagyu/Kobe beef is slaughtered at 30+ months of age. Females are valued higher than steers (As I understand).

Cow Pollinator makes a great point about Yield Grade and Marbling Grade. I'm actually planning on getting my own livestock scale just to help me better manage Yield Grade and over fattening/feed waste.

gaurus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by gaurus » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:28 pm

Stickney94 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:05 am
So this is an F1 Angus and Wagyu cross ribeye steak (hopefully viewable below) This was from a Heifer.
seems like the Wagyu/Charolais seems to be larger and with as much if not more marbling?

Stickney94
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Stickney94 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 pm

gaurus wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:28 pm
Stickney94 wrote:
So this is an F1 Angus and Wagyu cross ribeye steak (hopefully viewable below) This was from a Heifer.
seems like the Wagyu/Charolais seems to be larger and with as much if not more marbling?
I would say the marbling for the Charlois is easily equal and visually looks like more. Would be interesting to know age of slaughter of that animal.

Size -- impossible to compare without a ruler in the photo or side by side. That is one of my issues with sale catalogs and videos for production sales. Without a point of reference you can make very disparate animals appear the same size.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Stickney94 wrote:
So this is an F1 Angus and Wagyu cross ribeye steak (hopefully viewable below) This was from a Heifer. Slaughtered at 21 months of age. Traditional Wagyu/Kobe beef is slaughtered at 30+ months of age. Females are valued higher than steers (As I understand).

Cow Pollinator makes a great point about Yield Grade and Marbling Grade. I'm actually planning on getting my own livestock scale just to help me better manage Yield Grade and over fattening/feed waste.

I'd pick the bottom steak myself, but I'm sure both would be fine eating.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

tja477t
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by tja477t » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:34 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:11 pm
Though I agree with your post ...I just don't think it's worth the trouble to breed in different directions to make a animal that's been bred for a certain trait like the Wagyu, too be visually appealing to the folks that just want one to look like the mom and pop beef cow.. Old salesman once told me they had to ad a dye to a ""clear"""soap cleaner they sold, because folks wouldn't buy it..thought it wouldn't work,or be strong enough because it looked clear as water..
i heard that is why vacuum cleaners are so loud. they made them quieter and even though they worked just as well nobody thought they did.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:02 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:25 pm
Updating this thread with a few new pics of our bull.
He’s doing well and has been a good boy to work with.

Since this seems to be "The Wagyu" post, I'll update that... if you read the 12 page Australian
research report on the lowline thread you'll see on page 9 Wagyu efficiency on grass finished
4th of 7 breeds in producing carcass pounds per acre.
Ahead of Hereford, Shorthorn and Simmental. (Certainly better than I expected.)

Unfortunately due to low dressing % Wagyu need a 19.2% carcass premium to reach average $ produced.
ie: If finished steers sell for 1.20 lw you need to get 1.43 lw
or if boxed beef is 2.20 lb then 2.62 lb is needed for wagyu.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:55 pm

Somehow I missed a lot on this thread.
And for the record - I was not offended earlier.
Redgully wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:51 am
Around here you can go to the butcher and they name their angus beef, Wagyu beef and everything else is just beef. Says a lot right there. Never see simmental or hereford beef. I think speckle park might make an impact moving forward. Personally i would choose murray grey over any other. Red poll is right up there for good eating in taste tests but in my experience i have never found it better than anything else. I will say any Brahman i have had has not been much to talk about. I have tried many but not all breeds.
At our stores, you pretty much only see ANGUS meat identified = Certified Angus Beef.
BUT - that beef in the store or restaurant MAY be my Simmental cattle or anyone else's cattle that has a black hide and meets the qualifications to be CAB.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:58 pm

USDA grading (select, choice, prime) supersedes breed on any labeling.
The only hamburger in grocery stores if breed labeled that I can recall is Angus or Wagyu.
Otherwise I just assume it's from a Holstein cull cow.

NonTypicalCPA
Rancher
Rancher

Post by NonTypicalCPA » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:47 am

Here are some of my buddies calves out of our bull. Dam’s are Red Devon. He calved his 9 in a 37 day window. 6 heifers and 3 bulls.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:22 pm

Stickney94 wrote:
F1 Angus and Wagyu cross ribeye steak.... from a Heifer. Slaughtered at 21 months of age.

gaurus wrote: the Wagyu x Charolais seems to be larger...
The Wagyu x Charolais steak is marked as weighing 14.4 oz but the Wagyu x Angus steak has
a much closer trim, so maybe, but I don't know which is larger.

It takes a heck of an eye to tell if the top steak weighs more or less than 14.4 oz from a photo.
The Wagyu x Charolais steak is certified McNeese State University Beef... but not graded.
Why?
When I zoom in, it appears to me it would easily grade prime.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:40 pm

gaurus wrote:
Enlarged photo gives a better view of the marbling.