My new Wagyu bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Re: My new Wagyu bull

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:42 am

I get the fact that Wagyu meat is supposed to be extremely valuable. I get that the meat is supposed to be crazy marbled.
I don't get WHY you want the meat soooo tender that it is like mush. I don't see a lot of people willing to PAY the price it would need to be worth to make up the lack of muscling.
I don't get the fact that you are going to make up all the lost revenue by the time you have "Certified Wagyu" meat.
Guess I'm not very adventurist. I would NEVER breed something I didn't enjoy LOOKING at and have the pride (vanity!!!) of owning them. I'm just stuck in my ways. It just looks/sounds like foo-foo dust to me.
Sorry, not being critical to those that want to try it. I wish you luck.

Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:34 am

Nothing beats a good steak, further proof you can't judge a book by it's cover.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:46 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:42 am
I don't get WHY you want the meat soooo tender that it is like mush.
I have never heard anyone who has ever eaten Wagyu describe it as mush!

By chance a dairy farmer friend stopped by this spring on the day a 3/4 wagyu bull calf was born.
The following weekend his wife (a doctor) made reservations at a fancy schmancy restaurant in the
Twin Cities. The appetizer was Wagyu cooked table side and the cook/server started telling them
about the breed/meat. He said, Hey, Butch has some of those. He called me the next day and told
me it cost a hand and a foot, (because it was a small portion) but was the BEST MEAT he had ever
had in his life. He said, don't cut the nuts off that bull calf. I want to buy him to breed my heifers.
I laughed and said, sorry he's tagged for eating, buy some wagyu semen and raise your own. But
in a couple of years when he's ready we'll have you over for dinner to see what you think.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:37 am

SOB - you are sorta correct - "I" said they would be like mush.
"Stickney said:
we pride ourselves on raising high quality beef for direct to consumer buyers. So was the Wagyu cross leaps and bounds better? No, not exactly. But as my brother said, that's because your angus beef is already so good. The wagyu cross has some really interesting buttery qualities. Our customers have liked it very much and are willing to pay a premium for it.
Jeanne:
Do we really need that much marbling to be a great eating experience?? Bottom line - we all want to sit down and invite guests and WOW them with our great beef. I do that now. If it was more tender and juicy, I would think it would be like mush.
I still stick my "opinion", I think we can produce a great eating experience without sacrificing weight/muscling.

I realize you are trying a nitch market and are hoping to NET a better profit. That's what makes farming so great. We can all do what WE WANT TO DO. Just not something for ME. Not trying to talk anyone out of what they are pursuing, just poking to hear your thoughts.

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Post by alisonb » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:26 am

Son of Butch wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:41 am
NonTypicalCPA wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:25 pm
Updating this thread with a few new pics of our bull.
He’s doing well and has been a good boy to work with.

Easy to spot his problem right off the bat.... he's got too good of a home. :)
Looks like he is waiting for his beer, music and massage :D

They reckon the beer is to improve appetite and the massage for muscle tone/excersise but I have my own theory, lend me your ear and I will tell you.
The beer makes the animal tipsy and increases body temperature thus softening the fat before it goes through a vigourous 'fat distributing pounding'...the fat is squished, pushed & pounded between every muscle fibre...thus the superior intramuscular fat distribution or marbiling as some would have it in the Wagyu folks. This will work with any breed of animal given the same treatment :P :D

NonTypicalCPA, good luck with your venture.
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:13 am

My theory is those 6 bottles of beer a day are only given when cameras are on or boss is around.
Otherwise at least 4 of them end up with the masseuse. I've also seen videos where rice wine/saki is spit misted onto the animals for supposed insect control. I think more gets swallowed than spit.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:32 am

I get the fact that Wagyu meat is supposed to be extremely valuable.
I get that the meat is supposed to be crazy marbled.
I don't get WHY you want the meat soooo tender that it is like mush.
I don't see a lot of people willing to PAY the price it would need to be worth to make up the lack of muscling.
It just looks/sounds like foo-foo dust to me.
No Jeanne you said what was quoted, spin it how ever you wish.
Of course you are entitled to any opinion you wish.

But the fact remains Wagyu Steaks have won more World Steak Tasting Contests than all other breeds combined.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Post by Muddy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:45 pm

I get the fact that Wagyu meat is supposed to be extremely valuable. I get that the meat is supposed to be crazy marbled.
I don't get WHY you want the meat soooo tender that it is like mush. I don't see a lot of people willing to PAY the price it would need to be worth to make up the lack of muscling.
I don't get the fact that you are going to make up all the lost revenue by the time you have "Certified Wagyu" meat.
Guess I'm not very adventurist. I would NEVER breed something I didn't enjoy LOOKING at and have the pride (vanity!!!) of owning them. I'm just stuck in my ways. It just looks/sounds like foo-foo dust to me.
Sorry, not being critical to those that want to try it. I wish you luck.
Why are you so negative Nancy? I don't understand why you are always criticize every cattle because they don't look like your precious "Simmental" cattle?

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:48 pm

alisonb wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:26 am
Son of Butch wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:41 am
NonTypicalCPA wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:25 pm
Updating this thread with a few new pics of our bull.
He’s doing well and has been a good boy to work with.

Easy to spot his problem right off the bat.... he's got too good of a home. :)
Looks like he is waiting for his beer, music and massage :D

They reckon the beer is to improve appetite and the massage for muscle tone/excersise but I have my own theory, lend me your ear and I will tell you.
The beer makes the animal tipsy and increases body temperature thus softening the fat before it goes through a vigourous 'fat distributing pounding'...the fat is squished, pushed & pounded between every muscle fibre...thus the superior intramuscular fat distribution or marbiling as some would have it in the Wagyu folks. This will work with any breed of animal given the same treatment :P :D

NonTypicalCPA, good luck with your venture.
No wonder the meat is so expensive, I seen several hundred $ spent on them..just in that short clip.,.
as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:58 pm

As I have said before Wagyu meat is not Wagyu meat until it is fed in the Wagyu way and for the Wagyu period of time. Otherwise it is just meat with the marketing advantages of saying it is of Wagyu origins.

Don't expect a premium at the salebarn unless you have your buyers lined up.

Ken

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:06 pm

Taking one to the stockyard,would be shooting yourself in the foot.
as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Post by Muddy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:40 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:06 pm
Agreed with ya on that. The buyers would think they're longhorn or corriente crosses

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:06 am

Muddy
Sorry you think I come across as so opinionated. Obviously, I have rubbed you raw somewhere along the way. Not intentional. I rarely try to shove my breed down anyone's throat, and I never think my cattle are the best. There are some tremendous cattle featured throughout these threads - much better than mine - of many different breeds - some even commercial - which I admire tremendously.
I admitted the "mush" statement was from me originally - my interpretation of what it "sounds like" to ME. I do not deny that Wagyu beef is superior in marbling. I just think it is not necessary. "WE", as producers, "produce" a superior product than most any other country. I just don't know anyone that has the money to waste on a steak that "might" be a little (or a lot) better than what we already have. It is a specialty market - not attainable in my area.
Again, I am sorry if I offended you. Not my intention. I don't apologize for having good cattle that I am proud of, but I do not think I shove it down anyone's throat.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:31 am

The US cattle market has chased marbling. It is a fair enough effort for a good reason. Where that causes issues can be total fat placement. Is it merely intermuscular fat that is added, additional back fat to go with the intermuscular fat or additional seam fat to go along with both? The backfat deposition can sometimes be controlled with feed, time on feed, rate of gain and such but not always. Few animals are fed individually or with that much scrutiny. That cut out and trim is a loss for whoever owns the animal to that point. There are EPDs for selection purposes and if they are good then that helps.

The issue to me in the big picture is the excessive seam fat. I walk through the meat isle and see high end steaks with huge sections of seam fat while the lean portions are well marbled. If I wanted to buy a steak that day, I'd prefer a well marbled steak without heavy seam fat. It does add flavor in cooking but a lot of people trim it out and then have a pile of waste at the end of the meal and I think that a lot of them set there a minute digesting, thinking about the cost and seeing the waste. There are genetics other than the discussed breed (the ones I know about are in the Angus breed) which are claimed to produce "smoky marbling" without excessive seam fat.

Comparatively, other meats do not exhibit excessive seam fat. A lot of consumers can see the white and it might shift them to other choices. That is too bad for beef. Seems the Wagyu and Akaushi offer a remedy of some of the issues. The percent needed to help in a cross breeding operation is another story.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:48 am

Muddy wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:40 pm
ALACOWMAN wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:06 pm
Agreed with ya on that. The buyers would think they're longhorn or corriente crosses
As I have said before I have a neighbor with about 150 Waygu cows. The same man has about 750 commercial cows. In those commercial cows there are a fair number of longhorn and corrientes cows. Their calves absolutely shine compared to the Wagyu.
Agri-beef is a Idaho company. They own a bunch of feedyards. They also own a kill plant in Washington State that I have been told kills 1,200 head a day. Because of their location here in the PNW they have been big in exporting to Japan. I know a trucker who hauls into their kill plant. He told me they kill nothing but Waygu on Friday. That means there are a lot of Wagyu on feed in their yards. But I have never seen them at the sale or advertised anywhere. The calves must all get sold private treaty. On the other hand looking at those Wagyu calves of the neighbor's they would have to pay a pretty big premium for it to work out. That and the neighbor's comment of, "it will work out one of these days". I also note that he doesn't turn Wagyu bulls out with the commercial cows. If there were a viable market for the crossbreds he most certainly would have the ability to make them.