Best Terminal Breed

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

User avatar
Massey135
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 893
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:06 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Best Terminal Breed

Postby Massey135 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:37 pm

The next low cwt lot were their brothers.
0 x
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.

User avatar
Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7104
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:26 am
Location: North Arkansas

Re: Best Terminal Breed

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:16 am

Pity folks have to sell there calves at such a sorry market place.
0 x

User avatar
houstoncutter
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2094
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:52 pm
Location: S.E. Texas

Re: Best Terminal Breed

Postby houstoncutter » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:03 am

Massey135 wrote:I have no clue who that is. Neither do the 1000:1 viewers to posters. No one learns anything from your circular logic. Work on your approach. Bring facts to the table. Don't get your panties in a wad jus bc you happen to raise a breed in discussion... Even if its in a negative connotation. I was at the Durant, OK sale today. Of all the beef calves sold today, none brought less cwt than a set of 6, 545lb- what appeared to be purebred red limo- heifers. Take the FACTS for what theyre worth.





Was this the regular auction, selling pens of 6 or was this a heifer replacement sale?
0 x

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14264
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: Best Terminal Breed

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:13 am

Massey135 wrote:I have no clue who that is. Neither do the 1000:1 viewers to posters. No one learns anything from your circular logic. Work on your approach. Bring facts to the table. Don't get your panties in a wad jus bc you happen to raise a breed in discussion... Even if its in a negative connotation. I was at the Durant, OK sale today. Of all the beef calves sold today, none brought less cwt than a set of 6, 545lb- what appeared to be purebred red limo- heifers. Take the FACTS for what theyre worth.

yep redbull work on your approach.. this cattle raising is some complicated sht..so sit back and learn :cowboy:
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

User avatar
Massey135
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 893
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:06 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Best Terminal Breed

Postby Massey135 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:32 pm

houstoncutter wrote:
Massey135 wrote:I have no clue who that is. Neither do the 1000:1 viewers to posters. No one learns anything from your circular logic. Work on your approach. Bring facts to the table. Don't get your panties in a wad jus bc you happen to raise a breed in discussion... Even if its in a negative connotation. I was at the Durant, OK sale today. Of all the beef calves sold today, none brought less cwt than a set of 6, 545lb- what appeared to be purebred red limo- heifers. Take the FACTS for what theyre worth.





Was this the regular auction, selling pens of 6 or was this a heifer replacement sale?


Regular auction. Most calves go through 1 at a time but when an owner has a like group they will run them in together. Lots of groups of 5-8. Some 10-15. Mostly 1s though. Here's the Top Selling report.

Top Selling Cattle - Durant Stockyards
May 30th

hd count, sellers location, weight, price

3 strs Bennington 357 186.00
5 strs Bells 330 182.50
2 strs Durant 355 182.00
2 strs Durant 385 181.00
3 strs Stonewall 365 177.00
2 strs Mead 445 176.00
5 strs Durant 436 171.00
5 strs Durant 532 158.00
6 strs Colbert 638 156.00
3 strs Durant 608 156.00
3 strs Colbert 725 146.00
3 hfs Durant 363 180.00
13 hfs Durant 422 170.00
10 hfs Mead 478 163.00
4 hfs Hendrix 530 160.00
4 hfs Bells 531 154.00
1 bull Kingston 2250 118.50
0 x
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.

Cross breeder #1
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:57 pm

Re: Best Terminal Breed

Postby Cross breeder #1 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:13 pm

KNERSIE wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
KNERSIE wrote:Fullblood Charolais or fullblood limousin.


My Limi cross calves look really good. They are running 77 to 116# for BW, with most of them in the 90s. I have had no assists.
My low birth weight BA calves are not even close for growth. I think there will be a 100# difference in weaning weight.


With the added growth and muscle, expect extra BW too. Used on mature cows both charolais or limousin are great terminal sires.

Using the watered down version makes no sense to me, not only will you lose muscle, bone and growth, but also hybrid vigour in a crossbreeding system. I agree the continentals isn't for everyone's situation, but if you can make it work it will pay off!

Just as long as you don't keep some of those great looking heifers, they just don't make great commercial cows for the most part.

the watereed down version comes in black. might make a better carcass also
0 x

User avatar
Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7104
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:26 am
Location: North Arkansas

Re: Best Terminal Breed

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:05 pm

Well Alabama i am a trying to learn it all, so far most of my learning about cows has been by spending alot of time around cattle. All these book learned folks make me a little spooky.
0 x

User avatar
houstoncutter
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2094
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:52 pm
Location: S.E. Texas

Re: Best Terminal Breed

Postby houstoncutter » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Took time to go into The Durant Stockyard report. Highs for the weight class Massey was talking about were as follows: #500-600 were 1.40 to 1.60 for heifers for steers which Massey didnt give the weight of but I would imagine it would be in the #600 range......steers were 1.45 to 1.56......Notice that heifers were selling for more than steers this tells me that you had buyers that were looking for replacement heifers....Thus most any straight bred animal would not bring as much as a good F1....Our Oakie friends are pretty savy cattlemen...they know the power of a F1 cow.....This would go a long way in explaining your price difference..

Of course if you say these were #2 heifers and steers then I would have to conclude that you just have some poor quality calfs.... because Limousin...for all their faults especially purebreds are gonna have #1 muscle
0 x

User avatar
Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7104
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:26 am
Location: North Arkansas

Re: Best Terminal Breed

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:04 pm

I kinda no the fellar that runs the Durant stockyard, may need to give him a call. Last time i was there he was a tell people there calves needed muscle.
0 x

User avatar
Massey135
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 893
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:06 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Best Terminal Breed

Postby Massey135 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:21 pm

I kinda know Ron as well, call him and ask him how purebred limos sell.

I don't know what you're looking at HC, but #1 steers brought more than #1 heifers of every class. http://www.durantstockyards.com/index.cfm?show=10&mid=6
0 x
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.

User avatar
Massey135
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 893
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:06 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Best Terminal Breed

Postby Massey135 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:09 pm

Red Bull Breeder wrote:Well Alabama i am a trying to learn it all, so far most of my learning about cows has been by spending alot of time around cattle. All these book learned folks make me a little spooky.


My formal education is in Finance. So far, most of my "learning" about cows has been by spending a lot of time around cattle.
0 x
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.

agmantoo
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:27 am
Location: zone 7 western NC

Re: Best Terminal Breed

Postby agmantoo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:15 pm

KNERSIE wrote:
The crux lies with small efficient cows for your environment bred to a terminal bull and sell ALL of the offspring. The terminal calf won't be as fat as a less growthy calf out of your cows, but that is exactly what the buyers want, a big growthy green calf and they are usually prepared to pay a premium for that. Add to that the extra lbs weaned and I cannot see why you won't make a decent return per acre.

But in essence I agree, its not for everyone or for all situations, I don't even do it myself.


I have to acknowledge that you nailed the situation dead on. I sent feeder calves to market and attended a portion of the sale this afternoon. ~1140 head in total of all weight classes and most cattle types were sold. I did not arrive at the sale in time to see all of the individual animals sold including mine. I did see some lighter individual feeder calves (3 weights) and the highest price I observed was $2.02 per lb. My small lot weighing 420 each that was grouped brought $1.99/lb. Fatter terminal calves weighing in the same weight range brought approximately $1.53 to $1.61 /lb.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7388
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Best Terminal Breed

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:51 am

Massey135 wrote:100lbs is a bit much for the comparison but I get your drift. With a crossbred like a balancer or Limflex, the resulting calves may be 1/4 cont by blood but without stabalized genetics your gonna get calves that show from 1/2 to no continental influence and everything in between. Work with stabalized genetics IN GENERAL and I guarantee you'll be much happier.


I can and do AI to get similiar calves from a put together herd. Similiar not stabalized. Then I sell the growthy cut in the winter and take the rest to grass. So I sell 2 groups of steers and 2 groups of heifers in order to get 3 way cross calves with 25% continental blood. Seems like a good value for my system.
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
Massey135
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 893
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:06 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Best Terminal Breed

Postby Massey135 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:08 am

Best bet is to use one of the breeds that has a stabalized continental %. And while technically that may be a "3 breed cross" - it doesn't have anywhere near the vigor of the traditional f1 x bull of 3rd breed "3 way cross.". If I had a put together herd, I would identify a breed that's not in the makeup of my cows, and use that breed as my bull.
0 x
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28474
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Best Terminal Breed

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:46 am

Massey135 wrote:Best bet is to use one of the breeds that has a stabalized continental %. And while technically that may be a "3 breed cross" - it doesn't have anywhere near the vigor of the traditional f1 x bull of 3rd breed "3 way cross.". If I had a put together herd, I would identify a breed that's not in the makeup of my cows, and use that breed as my bull.

Like these?

http://www.cattlerange.com/202C513-201/202C513-201.html
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: greybeard and 8 guests