Best Terminal Breed

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Massey135
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Best Terminal Breed

Postby Massey135 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:51 am

Nope, those would be some purebred heifers I sold - I wasn't a fan of those hard doing genetics - Although that bull I bred them to is dyn-no-mite.

and my Char bull M786658 http://search.charolaisusa.com/anischlist.aspx

and my Gelbvieh AMGV1115744 http://search.gelbvieh.org/default.aspx

What a coincidence- they all have the same owner name? Heck of a bs artist to be able to make that happen???
0 x
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.

Eugene66
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Eugene66 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:42 am

I'm partial to Blonde Bulls or Blonde x Angus (red or black) Bulls breeding 3/4 ths to 7/8 ths Angus (red or black) x 1/8 th or 1/4 Brahman Cows. We run 500 of these cows in NE Texas with only one percent calving problems, whether they be heifers or cows. We run our Bulls year-around with Cows on ten different land tracts - so, needless to say - we don't baby sit our cows or heifers. Blondes are muscular; however, they are not double muscled. Feedlots prefer feeders that are growthy, convert feed well, yield well, marble/grade mostly Choice, and hang around 850 pounds. This cross works well for terminal cattle.
0 x
COL 2:8-10. Thank God I'm not treated as I deserve.

Cucumber35
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Cucumber35 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:53 pm

I’ll be the oddball and vote Piedmontese mostly because I’m partial as that’s what we run on Red Angus. Although most now are crossbred cows, so I’ll argue the not retaining heifers mindset as well but only to the point that yes, too much Pied influence doesn’t make a good cow. I’ve never seen any dockage at the sale, actually we usually are on the upper side. However most are sold private to a local butcher that likes the apple butts that were mentioned. So maybe not your ‘typical’ market but works well for us at the moment.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”