Which bull? which bull?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Which bull? which bull?

Postby Nesikep » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Well, we're going going back to herfs or RA, we weren't fond of them when we had them...

Here are some more pictures... Apparently 2Z is tentatively spoken for, but there are some better pictures of him anyhow

More of 5Z

2Z

0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:54 pm

And 48Z

Here's what the seller said about him in the email
"Hi-Valley Leo 48Z". He was born September 12th, 2012 ... with a birth weight of 80 pounds. His adjusted weaning weight was 627 pounds. Don't forget ... this guy's five months younger than the other two.

Timeline 5Z is doublepolled, which is always nice...
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:02 pm

I think you know pretty well what bull you need and want to use on your herd Nesi ;-)

Good luck with what you bring home and let us know how he does . :tiphat:
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:20 am

we have a good idea of where we want to be, so that helps.. we want a solid red or tan animal (a white spot or tail is OK), meaty, slightly above average frame that's thick with meat over the top, docile, good milkers on grass, and nothing with hoof, udder, prolapse problems... Once I've got all that settled, I'll work on the next problem I find.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:41 pm

Well, we're going to see the bulls tomorrow and have the horse trailer with us, we'll see what we come back with
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:14 pm

As much as it pains me to say this. If it were me I would go with the 48Z. I think he would nick well with your cows. Smooth em out some and Hopefully insert a little moderation in the size of your calves. I sure would love to see him this time next year!

My next choice is a tossup between 5z and 2z.

just my 2 cents. I am sure the real breeeders out there will set you on the right path!
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:24 pm

I think 48Z is spoken for, according to the breeders he isn't as fast a gainer, lower BW... he does look good, and seeing them in person may reveal things that the pictures don't.. both good and bad.

my shorthorn cows need the smoothing out, but the ones that are 1/2 Gelbvieh are pretty smooth for the most part... I'm look forward to what the daughters of my old girl will make with this guy, 3 of them are 1/2 GV 1/4 Saler, and one is 1/2SH 1/4 Saler, but looks all Saler... time will tell, and it'll take patience.. another 17 months until I start to see the results, and a couple years before I know how good they *really* are
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:41 pm

Well, we went, we saw, we came back with a bull, #48 wasn't the one that was spoken for, it was #2, and #48 didn't impress me... #2 was nice, great butt, and definitely well built, but when we stuck our hand in the pen, he snorted, shook his head and walked off, while #5 came an licked us, so he's the one we loaded up, and he is a very well behaved boy. On the way down, he had his nose out of the horse trailer window most of the way, and didn't mind people giving him a pat on the back. When I backed up to our corral and opened the gate, he just calmly walked out. Yesterday I brought up my whiteface long yearling heifer, and he was very happy for company, and a butt to sniff... I think he hasn't had any in a while.. Roma wasn't very happy about the whole idea, but they're getting along well now.

Here he is

And this is his mother... I find she's decent, perhaps a bit prominent shoulders? Good udder and hooves, good back, and docile too
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:47 pm

And here are EPD's

0 x

redcowsrule33
Rancher
Rancher

Postby redcowsrule33 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:58 am

With the disclaimer that I know little about limousins.... I liked him better before you posted those numbers.

While it appears your girls can handle a harder calving bull, and his weaning weight number is at least average, he may get you some good terminal calves, but he is by the numbers not a maternal bull, and tho they are low accuracy his dam and sire are just as poor. What concerns me the most is the CEM on both sides of the pedigree. Your cows might make up for the milk. Dam is a pretty nice little cow though.

Edit: Checked out their website, they seem to have a program that fits your needs (docililty, calving ease) and though the numbers fail to bear out the calving ease part, they have been using herd bulls only for many generations, which depending on their herd size and how much info they report, will affect the EPD accuracy. That being said I would still not use him on my heifers the first year and pelvic score his heifers. I hope he pans out and proves his EPDs wrong in five years!
0 x
The root cause of the majority of the problems in the world today is that common sense is no longer a prerequisite to staying alive.

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:46 am

I think he will be alright Nesikep. 3.1 bw is not bad. Any thing under a 3 I will use on heifers and not worry about it. CEM could be better. Just not a bad little bull at all.
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:23 am

Should do the job for you. I like him just fine. I however do not like his mother. She has some length and a good udder and i will leave it at that!
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:20 am

What would you usually expect from a GV x Limi cross?
0 x
Stocker Steve

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:43 am

Stocker Steve wrote:What would you usually expect from a GV x Limi cross?

First of all they will be whole lot more croessed than that. But they will be 1/2 limo, 1/4 GV and the rest is a dog from every town.

What i would expect is some big butted calves with decent milk from the GV side and hopefully none of the heifers get their grandmothers open shoulders or short hip! I am definately curious as to what his birthweights are going to do!
0 x

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Bet his birthweight weights don't change much.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”