Which bull? which bull?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Which bull? which bull?

Postby Nesikep » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:24 pm

We have high BW's at our place regardless of which bull we use, an 80 lb heifer calf is about as small as they get, 90 for bull calves, and it goes up to 110/120 pretty routinely, My average last year was 100 lb on the button.

I'll keep a close eye on the heifers I get from him, I think the ones that have more Shorthorn ought to have pretty decent hips, while the ones that are more Gelbvieh I might have to look at closer.

I will also have to watch that they don't get too leggy with the SH's though, This guy is going to make a lot more frame than our GV bull did.. I think I may end up with more heifers that look like the leggy one I decided to keep this year.

This new bull and my old bull are now together with the rest of the cows, and everyone seems to be getting along just fine, which is certainly a relief.

They have about 40 cows at Hi Valley
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:34 pm

Well, though I'd post a new picture of him.. He's 28 months now, and has really changed in the last couple of months, really gained a lot of weight and length.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:24 am

He is looking good!
0 x

Dylan Biggs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dylan Biggs » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:07 am

If you are planning on keeping replacements from your new bull I would take the time to see the dam and as many female relatives as possible, especially in light of the fact that the only criticism of your old bull wasin regards to udder quality. You would hate to regret a bull purchase years down the road because of udder quality. I am late to the party, oh well. :D
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:26 am

I did look at the dam (I think I posted her picture in a previous post), and her udder was fine... The old bull's daughters all had good udders, just extra teats on them, some working, others blanks. I don't think 1 bull will cure all the little things I have that bug me on different cows... Big tailheads, big heads, imperfect udders, not enough meat on the hips, too short, too tall, etc.. I'm happy if I can not lose too much ground in one place while I make it up in others.

I didn't see bags that stuck me as inferior in the pics you posted.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Well, I thought it would be a good time to update this thread.. I'm probably going to be selling him this weekend
Current EPD's are here https://cla.digitalbeef.com/modules.php ... CXM4074065
One thing I find interesting is he has better than average CED despite the higher than average BW. I don't put a whole lot of importance on the YW and WW since I know the herd he comes from is a low-input herd, and neither them, nor their customers would be graining them.. I am pretty happy with the way the calves have been growing.

Now for the quality of his daughters? I'd call them average.. I have a few that are looking like they stand out from the rest, but that is because of exceptional dams. For the most part, My concerns I brought up a while back were justified, he worked very well with the GV cross cows, but the SH's without GV never really were much to look at.. Lots of frame, but rather 2 dimensional... Add some GV influence and then you have much better. The two better daughters I have that have calves are raising respectable calves for first timers, they definitely both have potential to raise whoppers even if they don't do it on the first attempt.

Also, he wasn't a heifer bull.. my first year I needed to use a calf puller on 2 of the 4 heifers, however I never needed to pull one from any *cow*. (I stopped using him on heifers after that). Udders, they look alright, perhaps the teats are a little long, but not problematic by any stretch of the imagination, udder suspension, etc is all very good.. Of the 3 daughters of his that have calved, the two "good" ones didn't need any help calving, while the one I didn't like anyhow did need some help.. she's going on a truck this fall though.
Here are two promising looking yearling daughters of his, Yotta (From Mega), and Sigma (from Chroma)

Yotta is the stouter type of animal, certainly will mature a full frame score less than Sigma

Sigma has the legs and pretty good length, both ought to make good cows, I'll tell you more in a year :)

You might remember this steer, probably one of the nicest I've ever raised, though I think the dam should take at least 75% of the credit there, since her heifer this year is absolutely outstanding but from my homeraised bull.. so she's really contributing to it.

Docility on him and his calves has been great.. this year just about every calf is a pest that wants attention, Sigma and Yotta are real sweeties, they both just want to hang out with you just for company. He likes his attention as well, a little back scratch is very welcome... He's a lousy fighter though, My homeraised bull whoops his arse at 3 years old (2 years younger) and about 500lb weight disadvantage

I'll work on getting a better picture of him, but here he is stuck on babysitting duty by the looks of it

If my management was different and I could tolerate having a snotty bull around, I think the 2Z bull would have been more suited for the herd of shorthorn cows, being a little stouter and less framey.. On the other hand, I live to write this!
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:57 pm

When are you going bull buying again? Looks like he filled a role. That is what I look for when I either buy or keep a bull. I don't expect one bull to correct all the faults in my herd. If they can improve some and not go backwards on any I'm happy. The calf I kept and have put with a few cows isn't perfect but he adds some qualities we need on some of our cows.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:53 pm

elkwc wrote:When are you going bull buying again? Looks like he filled a role. That is what I look for when I either buy or keep a bull. I don't expect one bull to correct all the faults in my herd. If they can improve some and not go backwards on any I'm happy. The calf I kept and have put with a few cows isn't perfect but he adds some qualities we need on some of our cows.

That's what I do (I pretty much said exactly that a while back)

I'm not sure.. I'm thinking maybe next fall I'll get a new one.. I'm trading my homeraised bull for another that I raised a few years back. His sister was my best cow and I lost her this spring, so there's part of my reason for wanting that one back

Here's the replacement for now
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:01 pm

From what little I can see of them - I like 5Z & 2Z
Shane & 46Z are both pinched in the heart girth.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Breeds Board”