Longhorn Cross

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:59 pm

Muddy wrote:I like how the childish haters are getting butt hurt and telling us that we are bullshytting, yet they never raised a Longhorn or worked with.
actually I don't hate Longhorns . .. Probably seen, been around more longhorn than you have.. Even owned one in a roping club.. Got friends that have em and raise calves,, and some bred to limm Bulls... They have their place..""not on mine"" but they have one...
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:06 pm

farmguy wrote:True Grit Farms wrote:
Muddy wrote:
"I like how the childish haters are getting butt hurt and telling us that we are bullshytting, yet they never raised a Longhorn or worked with.

Muddy do you really believe a Homozygous black bull can knock the chrome off a Longhorn calf 100% of the time? And than add to the BS about no horns either on a ny of them. I always thought that you were smarter than that Muddy.

Very few longhorns carried African horn gene but it's usually from the ones with Watusi influence and it is possible for longhorns have solid black calves. Who knows the next calf crop, he could have few skunktails or none. The Longhorns didn't always throw a chromed up calf every time."

We all know that the polled trait is dominant. if these were homozygous bulls wouldn't all calves be polled? What is this African horn gene thing? I am not taking sides just never heard of African horn and does it change the horn trait? Here in Minnesota Watusi cattle are unheard of. thanks farmguy

A wall tootsie with a horn gene, straight from the pits of he// :cowboy:
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
farmguy wrote:True Grit Farms wrote:
Muddy wrote:
"I like how the childish haters are getting butt hurt and telling us that we are bullshytting, yet they never raised a Longhorn or worked with.

Muddy do you really believe a Homozygous black bull can knock the chrome off a Longhorn calf 100% of the time? And than add to the BS about no horns either on a ny of them. I always thought that you were smarter than that Muddy.

Very few longhorns carried African horn gene but it's usually from the ones with Watusi influence and it is possible for longhorns have solid black calves. Who knows the next calf crop, he could have few skunktails or none. The Longhorns didn't always throw a chromed up calf every time."

We all know that the polled trait is dominant. if these were homozygous bulls wouldn't all calves be polled? What is this African horn gene thing? I am not taking sides just never heard of African horn and does it change the horn trait? Here in Minnesota Watusi cattle are unheard of. thanks farmguy

African horn gene, will trump a homo polled. Not every time, but pretty often.

Have you seen what a calf looks like from a Homozygous black bull and Charolais cow? I don't know longhorn, but I have Homozygous black Simmental and Angus cows and bulls. And some of the calves will have white on them. White is a hard gene to predict or pervent, a 100% of the time.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:41 pm

African horn gene is different gene from the normal horn gene, it's usually found in Indicus types and Sanga types. Watusi is an African Sanga type with huge thick horns. Watusi is introduced to the Longhorn's genepool to just making their horns bigger, that's how the Longhorns got African horn gene from. Homozygous polled bulls often doesn't knock the horns off when African horn gene is involved. That said not all Longhorns carrying the African horn gene. Caustic Burno and True Grits are exaggerating about the African horn gene in the longhorns.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:05 pm

Muddy wrote:African horn gene is different gene from the normal horn gene, it's usually found in Indicus types and Sanga types. Watusi is an African Sanga type with huge thick horns. Watusi is introduced to the Longhorn's genepool to just making their horns bigger, that's how the Longhorns got African horn gene from. Homozygous polled bulls often doesn't knock the horns off when African horn gene is involved. That said not all Longhorns carrying the African horn gene. Caustic Burno and True Grits are exaggerating about the African horn gene in the longhorns.

quote="True Grit Farms"]
Muddy wrote:I like how the childish haters are getting butt hurt and telling us that we are bullshytting, yet they never raised a Longhorn or worked with.

Muddy do you really believe a Homozygous black bull can knock the chrome off a Longhorn calf 100% of the time? And than add to the BS about no horns either on any of them. I always thought that you were smarter than that Muddy.[/quote]

You are dense Muddy, it ain't gonna happen 100% of the time. And you can't even answer the question cause you won't admit it, and you won't lie. From the few Wagyu cattle that I've seen I'd be trying to push a black longhorn off as them. I think the Longhorn pimps are more hard core than the Brahman pimps, I know they whine more.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:54 pm

I already answered your question. It is possible for a guy to get 100% black polled calf crop from longhorn cows and a black polled bull. It's you that whines more than a puppy.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:40 pm

Muddy wrote:I already answered your question. It is possible for a guy to get 100% black polled calf crop from longhorn cows and a black polled bull. It's you that whines more than a puppy.

Anything is possible, some things just don't happen, like winning the lottery.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Have no first hand knowledge of longhorns, or the color patterns of their calves. A neighbor has told me before that someone has used one of his Angus bulls on their longhorn calves for several years. He says that MOST of the calves are black and polled, only a few would have white, or horns.
Maybe next year I can report what color calf our one longhorn heifer has, but that won't be enough for a test, unless we bring in some more. ;-)
2 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:29 pm

I am just glad they are all gone from this ranch.

They are fun to rope though.....
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:50 pm

gcreekrch wrote:

Can run like the wind.. Back before we had em, we had a barrel of strap on horns...for the muleys. https://www.nrsworld.com/nrs/nrs-strap- ... horns-4471
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 pm

gcreekrch wrote:I am just glad they are all gone from this ranch.

Any reason why you continue to posting here when you don't like Longhorns?
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:36 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Muddy wrote:I already answered your question. It is possible for a guy to get 100% black polled calf crop from longhorn cows and a black polled bull. It's you that whines more than a puppy.

Anything is possible, some things just don't happen, like winning the lottery.

Well I guess it did happened. That would be my last time to reply to any of your posts.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:21 am

Muddy wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:I am just glad they are all gone from this ranch.

Any reason why you continue to posting here when you don't like Longhorns?

Opinions are like azz holes,, we all have them.

Just trying to save some other start up cattlemen the time and effort of wasting money.
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:33 am

Let's play nice. Breeds are a touchy subject. We are all a bit bias - well probably LOTS bias.
I personally have no experience with them. My most exposure to them is at Keystone Int'l Livestock Show (KILE) in Harrisburg, PA. They have their "best' on display and they show them.
They are a joke in the barn. They have more horn then they have hide & bone, and they have even less meat. Is there still a good market for the horns? I guess you can look forward to culling so you can kill them & sell the horn.
Obviously, they have a place in our business in certain locations (NY is NOT one of them) because they have been around forever.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

plumber_greg
GURU
GURU

Postby plumber_greg » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:49 am

I just can't get around the "fooling" the buyers. Why does someone raising longhorns want their buyers to think their cattle are something they are not? jmho gs
2 x
Just call me plumberscrack

Return to “Breeds Board”