Mashona Bull at 28 months old

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

R V
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Mashona Bull at 28 months old

Postby R V » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:44 pm

H.D.,
I am planning on weaning the rest of the calves later this week and will try to get some pictures. Once I get the pictures, I will need some help posting them. Also, do you know of anyone in our area that has a group of 2014 longhorn heifers for sale. I would like to put a group together to breed back to my red Mashona bull.
Ron
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:33 am

HDRider wrote:
R V wrote:By the way H.D., my red Mashona bull sired my favorite longhorn cross calves this year. I was testing what I considered to be a type to type mating and the calves are much better than I anticipated and so far, he has taken off the spots (9 calves thus far). I will know more after the 6 heifers from this cross calve in a couple of years. These heifers are solid red and fancy. The 3 steer calves grew better that anticipated as well. This cross produced much better F1/hybrid vigor than I anticipated. So far, 7 of the 9 Longhorn cross calves are polled and the other 2 have what appear to be scurs.

I have to think this breed has now dynamite genetic material to offer cross breeding programs. Too bad they are so hard to find.

Please post some pictures of the LH X.

Thanks for sharing this HD, it is always fun to learn something new about cattle. What really stuck out was the high yield and over 80% of the group grading choice. If the info is correct a Mashona bull would be something to think about for those retaining ownership of their calves at the feedlot or outfits like Kingsland Ranch that sell their own beef.

RV, their is a group of LH cows for sale on the Louisiana Listings of cattlerange.
0 x

andybob
GURU
GURU

Postby andybob » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:57 pm

http://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/photos ... d=15667314
http://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/photos ... d=15660952
Some more Mashona bull pictures, although the number are relatively small in the USA the gene pool is large enough to be sustainable for future growth, new lines could later be imported from Australia, as there are only two registered herds left in their home country of Zimbabwe since the farm invasions of 2000, some groups were exported to South Africa in the 80's I only have contact with two breeders but more could be located with a little research. There is interest in the Drakensberger from several American ranchers, with the Tuli now starting to increase in popularity, the Sanga breeds are becoming more popular in crossbreeding programs in the southern states.
0 x
http://sangacattle.webs.com/

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:26 pm

andybob wrote:Some more Mashona bull pictures, although the number are relatively small in the USA the gene pool is large enough to be sustainable for future growth, new lines could later be imported from Australia, as there are only two registered herds left in their home country of Zimbabwe since the farm invasions of 2000, some groups were exported to South Africa in the 80's I only have contact with two breeders but more could be located with a little research. There is interest in the Drakensberger from several American ranchers, with the Tuli now starting to increase in popularity, the Sanga breeds are becoming more popular in crossbreeding programs in the southern states.

0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:30 pm

JWBrahman wrote:
HDRider wrote:
R V wrote:By the way H.D., my red Mashona bull sired my favorite longhorn cross calves this year. I was testing what I considered to be a type to type mating and the calves are much better than I anticipated and so far, he has taken off the spots (9 calves thus far). I will know more after the 6 heifers from this cross calve in a couple of years. These heifers are solid red and fancy. The 3 steer calves grew better that anticipated as well. This cross produced much better F1/hybrid vigor than I anticipated. So far, 7 of the 9 Longhorn cross calves are polled and the other 2 have what appear to be scurs.

I have to think this breed has now dynamite genetic material to offer cross breeding programs. Too bad they are so hard to find.

Please post some pictures of the LH X.

Thanks for sharing this HD, it is always fun to learn something new about cattle. What really stuck out was the high yield and over 80% of the group grading choice. If the info is correct a Mashona bull would be something to think about for those retaining ownership of their calves at the feedlot or outfits like Kingsland Ranch that sell their own beef.

RV, their is a group of LH cows for sale on the Louisiana Listings of cattlerange.

Cattle range is where we got our 26 pairs, out of the Dallas area.

http://www.cattlerange.com/B-Longhorn.html#pairs
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Joe Hopping
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Joe Hopping » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:59 am

We used two Mashona bulls and a Tuli bull to breed right at 200 Beefmaster females of Casey and Lasater breeding this year. The bulls stayed in excellent condition all through the breeding season despite the heat here this Summer in Northeastern Oklahoma and lots of females to cover. We're working with Johann Zietsman in developing a Veldmaster composite much like he did in Zimbabwe. We feel the African breeds have a lot to offer cattlemen here in the United States especially in areas where the heat and humidity is an issue.

The bulls we used are moderate framed and muscular with a high meat to bone ratio. They're heat tolerant and nutritionally adapted and are the picture of "easy-care". Can't wait for next year's calves.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:20 am

Joe ... have you preg checked you're girls to see how your bulls did at that sort of a ratio (3:200)?
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Joe Hopping
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Joe Hopping » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:09 am

We'll be pregnancy testing them before long. We would have liked to have used more bulls but we wanted to use exceptional bulls and they're hard to find. They were in a grazing cell being moved twice a day so during most of the breeding season they were never in an area over three acres in size. We used mature bulls and they didn't have to travel much to breed females. We saw lots of activity during the first part of the breeding season and not much toward the end. We've used a ratio of 1:50 with success in the past so hopefully we'll get a decent breed up with these bulls. They were sure none the worse for wear when we took them out. We have Mashona and Tuli semen for sale at this time and if anyone would like to take a look at the bulls we're using there are several pictures on our website. We bought them with Johann Zietsman's encouragement and they are very nice bulls. Our website is www.HoppingLivestock.com.
0 x

andybob
GURU
GURU

Postby andybob » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:46 am

Recent research from two archaeological digs indicates that there was a possible separate domestication of Auroch in Africa which might explain the difference between the traditional Taurus breeds and the Taurus Africanus - https://news.nationalgeographic.com/new ... attle.html
0 x
http://sangacattle.webs.com/

Angus Rocks
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Angus Rocks » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:30 pm

Joe Hopping how did the preg check turn out?
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:37 pm

Reminds me of the Bonsmara cattle.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:26 am

I've got two fullblood Mashona cows. I really like them ... sweet temperaments and never ever give me any trouble ... just don't grow as quickly as I'd like.

Can't have it all, I guess.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Return to “Breeds Board”