Show your calf pictures.

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

LDEnterprises
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Show your calf pictures.

Postby LDEnterprises » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:41 pm

This one just hit the ground. One Spring herd is done as of this morning, other herd is about half way.

4 x

southernultrablack
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby southernultrablack » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:31 pm

Another bull calf today! 86# and out of my last heifer for the year.
2 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:03 pm

My oldest (11yr old) son's cow had her second calf. She was supposed to be a fall calver, but didn't settle. I told the boy when I palpated her that if she were mine, I'd think about getting rid of her. He told me that she wasn't for sale, and that he'd rather her calve in the spring anyway :-)

3 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:15 am

My set of twins.. they're doing well.

6 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

farmboy80
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby farmboy80 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:15 am

farmboy80 wrote:Image
First calf of the year. Heifer out of angus cow and a limousin/angus cross bull. Born in the rain.

Heres a better picture.
1 x
God, Family, Friends, Cattle. The order of the last two is debatable!

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Lazy M wrote:My oldest (11yr old) son's cow had her second calf. She was supposed to be a fall calver, but didn't settle. I told the boy when I palpated her that if she were mine, I'd think about getting rid of her. He told me that she wasn't for sale, and that he'd rather her calve in the spring anyway :-)

Yesterday my youngest (7 yr old) boy's cow had her second calf. Another bull calf. The 2 are making bets with each other about which one will be bigger when we sell them.. My money is on the youngest.. His calf's sire is a sim, the older boy's calfs sire is an angus.. We'll see.

2 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:42 am

K&S Cattle wrote:Image

1st set of twins 2-17-18, both are great!

Woke up this morning to find a 2nd set, but one didn't make it. May never have another set of twins, but it's been a fun and Blessed(even though we lost the one this morning) calving season so far. Two more to go and we will be done.

one thing I liked about the sonogram pregnancy work.....

we now know which cows are pregnant with twins and there will be no surprises at calving....
2 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:12 pm

First calf from our Hereford bull that we bought for heifers. The mama is a sim angus

3 x

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:06 am

Late to the party here... love this time of the year as everyone is excited to see calves they have been eager to see for several months. On the plus side we had a really good conception rate with our AI group and this may be the tightest calving window we've had in a long time as we had calves that would have been conceived just days after turning out the herd bull too. We were expecting to calve 17 this year and only have 4 left to calve with 3 of the 4 due this month and the last one some time in April which would be over a full month up from that cow calving in late May last year. That being said we also had some bad luck too. Had a stillborn because a 1st calf heifer had a calf that was backwards that we weren't able to get out in time and it's a shame because she had plenty of milk to raise the calf. Had to pull a calf off an 11 year old cow and sell as a bottle calf because the calf just would not take to the teat well but would take a bottle so the cow will be going to town too as she's at the point she isn't weaning as good of calves as she was in her prime. And yesterday found a cow in heat we had confirmed bred by the vet at 120+ days this fall so apparently she slipped a calf sometime this winter. As the neighbor told me once, you can't take it personally when things like this happen as you can't control how a fetus develops in a cow or what happens when the cows are banging around at the hay feeder that might have contributed to it. A perfect example is we've had mother nature deal us some blows over the years too as there nothing you can do when you check cows after a bad thunderstorm and find 2 of your best cows and a calf all dead from a single lightning strike and have to round up a now orphaned calf to bring home. It's just part of raising cattle and you have to take the good with the bad.

So enough of dwelling on the bad, here is some of the good...

First calf of the season on Feb 21. Revolution 4R daughter with a FTF Prime Product bull calf. Very vigorous calf, he was already up and nursing before we found them and got the pair in the barn.

Really like this heifer calf born yesterday. She is by of our 936 son out of probably our best Revolution 4R cow. We have a full sister we kept from last year who we really like too.

4 year old cow due to calve soon. She was posing so well here we had to snap a picture. She's the first daughter out of a Revolution 4R son we bred and I would love to have a few more like her as her 1st 2 calves had and average weaning ratio of 112. Her 1st calf is a daughter due to calve soon that is one of the best heifers we have raised recently and last year's calf was a bull who was one of our top 2 bull calves and sold quickly in our sale pen.

4 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:33 am

1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Franke » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:17 pm

Just a couple of our calves so far

2 x

farmboy80
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby farmboy80 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:50 am

Good looking calves Franke. What bred are they?
0 x
God, Family, Friends, Cattle. The order of the last two is debatable!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:09 am

Udder just keeps getting worse every year. Mom should make a good hamburger.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Franke » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:20 am

farmboy80 wrote:Good looking calves Franke. What bred are they?

The blaze face is a built right PB Simmental and the other two are flushmates OMF commander X OMF long cut 3/4 Simmentals. Thanks
1 x

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:31 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Image

Udder just keeps getting worse every year. Mom should make a good hamburger.

Its a wise man who knows when to cull due to udder. Too many problems come from bad uddered mommas.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”