Hurricane Florence

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: Hurricane Florence

Postby farmerjan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:27 am

Latest trend looking like it is turning a bit south and will come to land NC/SC and head more due west and get more of Ga..... we are still looking at alot of residual rain and wind...Maybe not so much water surges...
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:45 am

Pretty good news for NC and Va, not so much for SC, Ga, Tenn, and Ky.

A good model view at the following link. Let the page load, and each of the little numbered squares on the upper right turn white.
Click on each of the squares (one at a time) to see where the storm will be at that forecast hour, about where the most severe wind and rain will be located and precipitation per hour..
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

For instance, as of this morning, the current modeling for next Monday Sept 17 shows it to be visiting Raven.

1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:54 am

1982vett wrote:3 hurricanes and 2 tropical storms in the Atlantic. Don’t know what they are calling the rainmaking thing that’s been out and around the Texas coast the past week or two.

Relief as long as it stays like it is.
It could become O Crap pretty quick with the water temperature.
2 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:10 am

I have been be nice plenty of people off telling them if they don't like it move off the gulf coast... we depend on these storms. Its not my fault they bought a house in a swamp.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:15 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
1982vett wrote:3 hurricanes and 2 tropical storms in the Atlantic. Don’t know what they are calling the rainmaking thing that’s been out and around the Texas coast the past week or two.

Relief as long as it stays like it is.
It could become O Crap pretty quick with the water temperature.

Image Rainy across a lot of the country this past week
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:19 am

Brute 23 wrote:I have been be nice plenty of people off telling them if they don't like it move off the gulf coast... we depend on these storms. Its not my fault they bought a house in a swamp.

I hope you never see the full effects of one. Two sided coin there Brute you probably would like the other side.
0 x

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:20 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:
NonTypicalCPA wrote:
boondocks wrote:

:lol: My dad used to throw us on the back of his motorcycle every time there was a report of a tornado in the vicinity. To go find it, not get away from it. (He was good at finding trouble in more ways than one).

I told my wife that I want to see a tornado once in my lifetime. It’s pretty boring here in Michigan-other than about 75” of snow every year. But given the choice, I’ll take boring over hurricanes and tornadoes.
it won't take but one to change your whole perspective....

I'm with Alacowman here...I've seen hurricanes and tornadoes. Could live a great life never seeing either again. You see the devastation of these storms and realize peoples lives are forever changed...it isn't some carnival ride. I may be spared the worst now that the path is changing...but my thoughts and prayers are with everyone who is in the path. Heck just some of the posters on here went through be nice last year. These things are nothing to trivialize. Prayers to all!!!
5 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:40 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:There is a huge difference between 100mph and 125+mph. There can be a 30 mile difference between total devastation and minor tree damage as it comes on shore depending on wind speeds.

Carla made landfall today in 1961.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc13.com/ ... t/1503768/

Y’all keep an eye on the mb’s that tells the real story.

I've heard the stories about that one.

I was 11 when Carla hit Port O'Conner/Port Lavaca and this was 'my' 1st hurricane. . We lived just East of Houston at the time, about 8 miles from Houston Ship Channel where it makes the turn at Lynchburgh Ferry crossing..44 air miles from the Gulf of Mexico but we lived on the high side of the river that flows into the ship channel. I had snuck out of the house thru the garage that day, to see what it was like. Wind was not all 'that' bad, but the rain stung me in the face like dozens of little bees. A tree was already down in our neighbor's yard, and all the houses looked so strange with plywood over the windows. A tornado had already hit the neighboring town of Channelview.

I have a healthy respect for these type storms, but am (and always have been) fascinated by them. Fascination usually wins.

We drove down toward the ferry landing as soon as the rain abated. Didn't get there. Flood water was still over the road where you start down the hill to Burnet Bay and water 1/2 way up the utility poles......as the crow flies, a full 125 miles from where Carla made landfall.
She was a monster.

Could have been worse and for Galveston, Ike was. (The Carla water mark at Stork Bar & Restaurant in Galveston is about 4' above the sidewalk)

Imageupload photos for a link
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:12 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I have been be nice plenty of people off telling them if they don't like it move off the gulf coast... we depend on these storms. Its not my fault they bought a house in a swamp.

I hope you never see the full effects of one. Two sided coin there Brute you probably would like the other side.

We live it all the time. We still aren't totally 100% after Harvey. People are moving cattle of the river bottoms right now. We are pinched between the SA River and Guadalupe and can get totally cut off. It doesnt even have to rain locally... just up the river. Ive been on atvs and horse back pushing cattle out where the water was hundreds of yards out in the am and when the last ones were loaded the trucks had to be moved on the black top.

We just do it. We dont cry about it. We know the risk of living where we do.

Im going to run 2 hrs home today after a 14hr day to move cattle out of a creak pasture, probably after dark, just to wake up at 4am and drive 2hrs back to work in the am.

Its part of life on the gulf coast... always has been... always will be.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Here ya go Brute. Invest 95:
0 x

Covet Not!

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

We live it all the time. We still aren't totally 100% after Harvey. People are moving cattle of the river bottoms right now. We are pinched between the SA River and Guadalupe and can get totally cut off. It doesnt even have to rain locally... just up the river. Ive been on atvs and horse back pushing cattle out where the water was hundreds of yards out in the am and when the last ones were loaded the trucks had to be moved on the black top.

We just do it. We dont cry about it. We know the risk of living where we do.

Im going to run 2 hrs home today after a 14hr day to move cattle out of a creak pasture, probably after dark, just to wake up at 4am and drive 2hrs back to work in the am.

Its part of life on the gulf coast... always has been... always will be.

Stay safe and caffeinated!
2 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:10 pm

farmerjan wrote:We are looking at anywhere from 5-15 inches of rain, winds from 35 to 75 all according to how it hits and if it stalls. Nothing like the areas nearer or on the coast but quite significant for this area. It is perfectly calm and still yesterday and today, like the "calm before the storm" saying goes. Kind of erie feeling.

Pretty much the same deal here. At this moment, the sun is out and the mist & drizzle has stopped! Haven't seen the sun in almost 6 days! Now that I see the sun, I'm getting nervous as to what is to come, in a couple of days. We shall see. Apparently it will be going in a more Southerly direction and not be as horrid. We shall see. We are as ready as we can be.

I hope that ll, in the affected areas, will come out of this okay.
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:59 pm

The National Weather Center said Florence will likely be “the storm of a lifetime” for portions of the Carolina coast.

Hurricane Florence’s potentially devastating winds are generating enormous waves as high as 83 feet as it continues to make its way toward the East Coast and insurers predict it will become the costliest such storm to ever hit the continental U.S.

Analytics firm CoreLogic predicts that the damage from Florence could be more than $170 billion – making it the most expensive hurricane to hit the continental U.S. Hurricanes Katrina and Harvey, which decimated parts of the Gulf states and Texas in 2005 and 2017 respectively, cost more than $125 billion. Hurricane Sandy, which hit the Mid-Atlantic and New England areas in 2012, came in at $65 billion, according to the National Hurricane Center.

*Taken from a FOX News Article
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:39 pm

You never know the true $$$$ cost of any storm until years after the fact.
2 x

Covet Not!

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:48 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:The National Weather Center said Florence will likely be “the storm of a lifetime” for portions of the Carolina coast.

Hurricane Florence’s potentially devastating winds are generating enormous waves as high as 83 feet as it continues to make its way toward the East Coast and insurers predict it will become the costliest such storm to ever hit the continental U.S.

Analytics firm CoreLogic predicts that the damage from Florence could be more than $170 billion – making it the most expensive hurricane to hit the continental U.S. Hurricanes Katrina and Harvey, which decimated parts of the Gulf states and Texas in 2005 and 2017 respectively, cost more than $125 billion. Hurricane Sandy, which hit the Mid-Atlantic and New England areas in 2012, came in at $65 billion, according to the National Hurricane Center.

*Taken from a FOX News Article

Harvey wasn’t a bad hurricane as hurricanes go. What made it so bad was stalling out and dumping 55 inches of rain.

Each storm is the worst ever by the media it’s about viewership.
Rita was the most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Gulf. It’s the forgotten storm as the biggest city it hit was Beaumont.
Not taking anything away from Florence
it’s about central pressure, speed and impact point at landfall. The Mid Atlantic just doesn’t get to deal with as many as the Gulf states. Most of the US population lives within 100 miles of the coast making them all costly based on infrastructure damage and population.
The positive is central pressure is not falling signaling strengthening.
2 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”