Coyotes

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Coyotes

Postby BFE » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:59 pm

Ky hills wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:But you don't actually know for sure,it was coyotes that did it...

I feel very certain it was coyotes, I don't know of any other animal that could or would do that specific way. If it was domestic dogs they would have been more maimed up something awful, had that happen to several goats when I was a child.
My mother saw a coyote get a lamb and carry it off in the evening while it was still daylight, we tried about every kind of prevention possible from electric fence to guard dogs and donkeys. The guard animals worked ok as long as they stayed with the sheep.

I read in Farm Show about a guy who hangs strips of bacon on his hot wire fence. He claims it trains the coyotes to keep away, says it doesn't take very long and the bacon will dry up after they get trained.
0 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:28 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:If my memory serves me correct skunk and coons were number one and two carriers of rabies.

Around here #1 is bats, skunks and coons are 2 and 3
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:01 pm

dun wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:If my memory serves me correct skunk and coons were number one and two carriers of rabies.

My first set of Rabies shots was from a bat bite. My recent 'boosters' (2 of them) were from a feral cat.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:25 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
dun wrote:

My first set of Rabies shots was from a bat bite. My recent 'boosters' (2 of them) were from a feral cat.

What the what?? A bat?!? You gotta tell that story. :shock:
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:28 pm

Knock wood, they coyotes are obnoxious and even poop on our driveway when the dogs are in at night, but we've never had a problem with them going after our calves. They did, however, completely destroy a 14 pt buck my husband shot & couldn't find for 6 hours.
1 x

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:36 pm

I ran a small snare line a few years back on a grown up fence row and caught 6 or 7. The snares where really cheap (pre-made) it was something fun to do in the winter, but we kill all we see
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:39 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:
dun wrote:Around here #1 is bats, skunks and coons are 2 and 3

:lol2: :lol2: Yeah.......... a bat. :lol2: Funny now, not so much back then.

Back around July of 1999, was out on the back deck chatting with a friend, looking up at the sky, thought I felt one of those big-a$$ moths in my hair, and I kind of swatted to get it out. Later on, when I got out of the shower, drying off, I noticed 2 perfect little punctures on left wrist. Sat there in bed, trying to figure out what they were, then it dawned on me that it wasn't a 'moth' at all but a bat! I couldn't believe that a bat had actually gotten tangled in my hair. :lol2: I always thought that was one of those old wive's tales kinda thing. NOPE! It really does happen. :shock: Next morning went to the doctor, he confirmed bat bite. Wanted to know if I "still have the bat" :roll: "no, it flew away". :lol2: So, he said he had to treat as if the bat were rabid. :| Better to be safe than sorry, made sense to me.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:55 pm

:hide: Wow you must have that beehive 70's teased up.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:48 am

Workinonit Farm wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:

:lol2: :lol2: Yeah.......... a bat. :lol2: Funny now, not so much back then.

Back around July of 1999, was out on the back deck chatting with a friend, looking up at the sky, thought I felt one of those big-a$$ moths in my hair, and I kind of swatted to get it out. Later on, when I got out of the shower, drying off, I noticed 2 perfect little punctures on left wrist. Sat there in bed, trying to figure out what they were, then it dawned on me that it wasn't a 'moth' at all but a bat! I couldn't believe that a bat had actually gotten tangled in my hair. :lol2: I always thought that was one of those old wive's tales kinda thing. NOPE! It really does happen. :shock: Next morning went to the doctor, he confirmed bat bite. Wanted to know if I "still have the bat" :roll: "no, it flew away". :lol2: So, he said he had to treat as if the bat were rabid. :| Better to be safe than sorry, made sense to me.

I 'bout lost it when a huge locust got stuck in my pony tail; a bat in my 'do would require an exorcism. Yikes!!!
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:37 am

I caught a bat a few years back on a hula popper fishing at night down at my pond. He hit it about 1/2 thru the cast. It was a mess getting the nasty critter off that treble hook. Rats with wings.
Last edited by greybeard on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:42 am

greybeard wrote:I caught a bat a few ears back on a hula popper fishing at night down at my pond. He hit it about 1/2 thru the cast. It was a mess getting the nasty critter off that treble hook. Rats with wings.

Never caught a bat on a hula popper tons of bull frogs.
I bet that was interesting.
2 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:16 pm

Caustic Burno wrote::hide: Wow you must have that beehive 70's teased up.

My mother had one of the Dolly Partons back then.. We where at the cementary where my grandpaw is buried.. Folks where target practicing above us with a 22.. One went right through her mop.. She walks up there cussing them the whole way . They threaten to shoot her again if she didn't leave..danged hillbillies meant it to...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:10 am

0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Return to “Coffee Shop”