Coyotes

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Re: Coyotes

Postby Ky hills » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:04 pm

callmefence wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Coyotes get a bad wrap fluffy is in a lot more danger than a calf.
A yote is an opportunist along with being a coward. Your calves are in greater danger from Rover that kills for fun and Mr Coyote comes by to dine at Lubys.
The coyote wants to grab his meal and run that makes poultry and pets on the menu not something guarded by a 1200 pound mom.
You can see coyotes almost any evening in the pastures, they don't bother calves .

If your not running sheep or goats and your cattle got a little ear. Youve got nothing to worry about from the coyote.

https://youtu.be/4D-456BT0A8

I haven't had any coyote predations, since we got rid of the sheep and goats, also the cows are now Angus and Hereford, some with a little ear.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:35 pm

One thing I found out early on,you don't want a regular yard dog with you around Brahman cattle... They'll go through you,,to run that dog outa their comfort zone...dog ran behind me to get away.had to dive outa the way before I got freight trained...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:52 pm

Ky hills wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Coyotes get a bad wrap fluffy is in a lot more danger than a calf.
A yote is an opportunist along with being a coward. Your calves are in greater danger from Rover that kills for fun and Mr Coyote comes by to dine at Lubys.
The coyote wants to grab his meal and run that makes poultry and pets on the menu not something guarded by a 1200 pound mom.
You can see coyotes almost any evening in the pastures, they don't bother calves .

I would be more likely to agree with your statement that coyotes don't bother calves, based on my more recent experience with cows and calves, but years ago we did have some coyote predation on young calves. I have heard of others around here having issues too. I have often wondered if each herd of cattle is different. At the time we having the most trouble, we had registered Charolais. The first instance was a heifer had a calf and it was up and nursing, next morning the calf was pretty much a gutted carcass. Had two more heifers due, so we put them in the barn, after two or three days of calving turned them out, they were both killed within a day or two as well. I think you are right about the cow guarding the calf , that is the difference maker, those heifers probably didn't stay close enough to their calves. I think it was sometime after those instances I watch the cows come over the hill flying and put a coyote under the fence. In recent years haven't had any trouble with them getting calves, but they put me out of the sheep and goat business. The only predation issue of calves that we have had in recent times have been by buzzards.
It used to be very common to see dogs running through the country, but since the coyotes have been around, hardly ever see any dogs running through.

I at one time had a vendetta against yotes. A farm we had in ca central valley I have seen them trying to rip the calves while be born from the cow. Here I see them pass through the pastures, cows go on alert and the yotes just keep moving. Not unusual to hear several sizeable packs at the same time around here. No predation from them yet, and it;s been almost 18 years on this one farm.
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:57 pm

I've been around coyotes a lot. They come out and eat mice and rats when I am mowing the pastures. They've never bothered my calves. I would have declared war.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:16 pm

Grandfather had a cow and calf penned up in the barn. Coyotes came in to get the calf, the cow wound up stomping the coyotes but killed her calf in the process. It was a bad deal, I remember that one. One time it was either coyotes or dogs that ran some young ones off the edges of the drop offs in the ravines, after they broke the legs falling off the "cliff", they were eaten alive.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:19 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:I've been around coyotes a lot. They come out and eat mice and rats when I am mowing the pastures. They've never bothered my calves. I would have declared war.

My dog likes to run them out the brush when I ride the pastures on ATV. I kill any I ever see. I don't go as far as the guys on the deer lease in east Tx. They would ride down all the logging roads and throw chunks of raw chicken meat with trebble hooks in the middle of it. It would rip the intestines of the coyote or whatever else ate it and they would die a slow miserable death. That's just not a very selective way of taking them out.
Last edited by BK9954 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:08 pm

The yotes here get the odd free range hen.. for the most part they understand our deal.. stay away in the daytime or you get shot.. At night they come walking all over the place, never had any problems from them. They've watched me run the baler from the edge of the field, about 50 ft away from me. If they eat some fawns, I'm OK with that, deer cause more damage here than the yotes.

Protective cows is probably the best deterrent.. My friend's herd had some longhorns/corriente cows.. 3 yotes came in, my buddy shot 2, the cows killed the other one before it made it to the fence.
I don't have a dog, and my cows will see anything.. Most of the time they stay calm, they seem to know the usual visitors, but do get worked up quickly about the strange ones.. cougars, grizzlies.. thankfully that's very rare.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:08 am

We have them here and have seen them in a pack getting calves a couple of times. One neighbor came up to check his cows that were calving and they were coming at the cow from several sides and the calf was just born, wet, and she hadn't had time to barely get up and try to lick it. We had one that hung around the barn area where we were calving some old cows and it never bothered them, but the next year we lost 3 calves within 12 hours of birth and heard the coyotes every night til we got someone to come in and hunt. As soon as the nighttime noise stopped, the calf loss stopped.
They are a real problem in some of the suburbs now. We shoot every one we see now, a friend got bit and it was rabid....so no free passes. Have had some rabid foxes, and one farmer had a cow that went nuts and turned out it had rabies.
1 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:25 am

Neighbor few miles away ranch is Coyote Hills Ranch and the name fits.
Every evening we have a chorus howls and I see them and signs of them all the time.
I've never had a problem with them and to my knowledge none of my neighbors have either.
The last couple of years we've been plagued with an over abundance of rats and rabbits. I think the coyotes are being to whittle them down some.
0 x

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:30 am

I have a fall calving herd. A few years ago I couldn't tag calves because the cows were so aggressive towards me. They had never been that way in previous years. Someone suggested I put a donkey with them. I put a mammoth female donkey with them and haven't had any problems since. This group of cows are in close proximity to a heavily wooded creek. We've had more frequent sightings of mountain lions and I'm thinking there was a cat in the area that had them really nervous. Lots of coyotes around here but they are opportunists. Used to be a lot of guys hunted coyotes and they did more damage than coyotes. Fences were cut, gates left open, some stole baby calves under the guise of hunting. I figured they actually created a superior line of coyotes with their hunting. They only killed the stupid, sick or old ones, leaving the young, strong, smart ones. I have read that if you have a pack of coyotes and they don't bother your animals, leave them alone. If you disrupt their group, you open it to new members which changes the dynamics and they may come after your calves,etc. Worst nightmare is a coyote/domestic dog cross. They're bigger and nearly fearless of humans.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:25 am

I hear them every night but they make a big circle around my place. I assume they're after fawns and rabbits, but both may be at a minimum after this last flood event.
To my knowledge, I've never had a problem with them as far as calves go.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:03 am

Yup. I have watched coyotes walking thru cows bedding under trees digging up stuff to eat. Cows didn't pay any attention to them.

I'm sure if you get a couple mature coyotes to group up they could do some damage but I think that's rare. Any half azz momma should be able to fight them off.

They are be nice on fawns though as are bobcats.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:30 am

Who was it here that had to get a rabies shot a couple year ago because of a rabid cow? Skyhightree perhaps?
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:22 pm

Nesikep wrote:Who was it here that had to get a rabies shot a couple year ago because of a rabid cow? Skyhightree perhaps?

Yes, it was Sky. I guess the old medicine man was off at a powow or on some other kind of sabbatical.....
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:29 pm

If my memory serves me correct skunk and coons were number one and two carriers of rabies.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Return to “Coffee Shop”