Good Folks at a Bad Time

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Good Folks at a Bad Time

Postby Rafter S » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:44 am

My father-in-law hasn't been doing well, so they called in hospice yesterday. He didn't want to die in the hospital, so the hospice team moved heaven and earth to get him moved from the Tomball hospital to a 7-person care facility in Magnolia yesterday afternoon. We couldn't have asked for better people throughout that ordeal.

Then this morning while I was getting dressed for work my wife got the call that he was gone. I drove her there, and we waited until the hospice nurse got there to pronounce him dead and call the funeral home to come get him. We left then, because my wife didn't need to be there to see them load him, but everyone was a big help, especially to my wife.

She wanted to go by her father's house to check on some things, so we headed that way. Stopped at the IHOP between Montgomery and Conroe for breakfast. Of course my wife was on the phone with various people the whole time. Apparently she was overheard, because shortly before our food arrived our waitress stopped by our table and said that a young lady who had been sitting two or three tables away (and who neither of us had noticed) had covered our check. The waitress had also overheard, and stopped by our table later to offer her prayers and condolences. In spite of what you'd think from the news that we're bombarded with, the world is full of good, compassionate people.
9 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Good Folks at a Bad Time

Postby Nesikep » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:52 am

Good to hear, My condolences to you all.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:58 am

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your FIL. Hospice is a Godsend!

As for the IHOP encounters, not enough of this kind of thing is talked about, both in the news or on social media. I agree with you, there are still MANY good people out there, doing their good things, daily.

You and your wife have my condolences.
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:05 pm

Yes, sorry to hear that, God bless y'all through it....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:19 pm

Sorry to hear his passing Rafter, but uplifting to hear of the actions of those in IHOP.
Remembering your 'baby on the way' thread, I've often found it true that one leaves the world and our families & another comes in to take his place.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:38 pm

Sorry for your family's loss. There are still good people in this world the news just doesn't talk about good things.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:01 pm

Sorry to hear that. Hospice is an amazing organization with amazing people. They do not get the credit they deserve.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:16 pm

Sorry for your loss and prayers of comfort for your family. Hospice was a great help when we brought my dad to my house from the hospital. Those people are the best.
1 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:11 pm

I really appreciate all the prayers and condolences. He was very fortunate. He was 88, and still living alone and driving wherever he wanted to go up until about a month ago.
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

farmboy80
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby farmboy80 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Like everyone has been saying, there's still good people out there. You just don't hear about them. For two reasons : if they do something good for the right reason they don't want the credit, and the news don't cover the good things.

My thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:17 pm

Sorry for your loss and there is some folks out here that were raised correctly and I like seeing and hearing about it.
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:55 pm

Rafter, I seen lots of the same after Hurricane Harvey. People everywhere helping people. I think it's a TX thing because I'm pretty sure it ain't that way here. Sorry for your family's loss.
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:15 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Rafter, I seen lots of the same after Hurricane Harvey. People everywhere helping people. I think it's a TX thing because I'm pretty sure it ain't that way here. Sorry for your family's loss.

I have very little experience with people outside Texas, but I'd hate to think that's just a Texas thing. Maybe it's a little more prevalent in Texas. I've heard that holding the door for other people isn't routinely done in some places, but it's common here. I've even heard that in some places ladies are offended if a man holds a door for them, but I'm as likely to hold the door for another man as for a woman. To me it's just the polite thing to do.
3 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:57 pm

Rafter S wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:Rafter, I seen lots of the same after Hurricane Harvey. People everywhere helping people. I think it's a TX thing because I'm pretty sure it ain't that way here. Sorry for your family's loss.

I have very little experience with people outside Texas, but I'd hate to think that's just a Texas thing. Maybe it's a little more prevalent in Texas. I've heard that holding the door for other people isn't routinely done in some places, but it's common here. I've even heard that in some places ladies are offended if a man holds a door for them, but I'm as likely to hold the door for another man as for a woman. To me it's just the polite thing to do.

There are nice people everywhere but I travel from Florida to Canada and west to the Rocky's. Good people helping each other most places, some much more than others. Most of my work is in wildfires and disasters so I see the best in people. You should be very proud of your fellow Texans.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:05 pm

Sorry for your loss.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Return to “Coffee Shop”