Puerto Rico

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Puerto Rico

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:59 am

The POTUS must think I owe a Puerto Rican some money...well he's wrong, I don't.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10 ... t-out.html

He might be worse than the last POTUS at giving our tax dollars away. Living in paradise is great, especially when someone else is paying. Helping is folks out is one thing, relieving the debt is another. Sounds like another wall street bail out, and another POTUS that needs impeachment to me.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Puerto Rico

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:17 am

True Grit Farms wrote:The POTUS must think I owe a Puerto Rican some money...well he's wrong, I don't.

He might be worse than the last POTUS at giving our tax dollars away. Living in paradise is great, especially when someone else is paying. Helping is folks out is one thing, relieving the debt is another. Sounds like another wall street bail out, and another POTUS that needs impeachment to me.

This is much more complicated than you portray Grit.
A US territory that we won't let become a state or give autonomy too.
Under a US territory all sovereign rights and management fall under the Federal government.
This crap pile didn't happen under just one administration, it has been growing since the Spainish American War!
We have literally kicked cans down the road till there is no road.
PR's debt was going to have to be dealt with hurricane or not, the territory was going to default.
4 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:17 am

I've been scratching my head on this Puerto Rico deal.
Maybe someone has the time to explain what it means to be a us territory. ?? Do they pay taxes to the USA.???
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:20 am

True Grit Farms wrote:The POTUS must think I owe a Puerto Rican some money...well he's wrong, I don't.

Puerto Rico said they were going to pay the debt back....right after we climb out of our national debt. The world economy is all smoke and mirrors...sooner or later, the smoke clears and the mirrors crack...then shyt will get very real, very quickly.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:22 am

callmefence wrote:I've been scratching my head on this Puerto Rico deal.
Maybe someone has the time to explain what it means to be a us territory. ?? Do they pay taxes to the USA.???

Yes they pay taxes but have no voting representation in Congress or the Senate.
Best explanation I can give is they are foster children wards of the state.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:27 am

Caustic Burno wrote:

Thanks CB
That doesn't sound like a fair shake .
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:09 am

Caustic Burno wrote:

OR the bas tard child at the family reunion.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:17 am

bball wrote:

Puerto Rico said they were going to pay the debt back....right after we climb out of our national debt. The world economy is all smoke and mirrors...sooner or later, the smoke clears and the mirrors crack...then shyt will get very real, very quickly.

Real bad, real quick. It is coming. Don't know when, but it is coming.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:16 am

I am sure there is a lot more to it than this hillbilly understands but seems to me if their taxes are less that what we are spending on them its time to let someone else take care of them for awhile. Where does it end ???
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:22 am

BRYANT wrote:I am sure there is a lot more to it than this hillbilly understands but seems to me if their taxes are less that what we are spending on them its time to let someone else take care of them for awhile. Where does it end ???

Spain doesn't want them back one of our prizes for winning the Spainish American War.
They have voted for statehood they have rebelled for freedom and we grant none of it.
This monster has been created by us.
What we have is Americans with only partial rights.
4 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:27 am

I don't know the particulars and understand every detail but I do think they need to get a grip with all this spending/debt wiping off. Its hard to tell someone your not helping them at all but your charging some taxes from them.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:29 am

They started going downhill economically a whole lot worse when they kicked the USN out of Roosevelt Roads and Vieques island.
Thousands of jobs and millions of $$ lost to the PR economy. Choices made...choices have repercussions.
Ya asked for it..ya got it there toyota..
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/03/natio ... -rico.html
http://www.peoplesworld.org/article/nav ... erto-rico/
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:35 am

greybeard wrote:They started going downhill economically a whole lot worse when they kicked the USN out of Roosevelt Roads and Vieques island.
Thousands of jobs and millions of $$ lost to the PR economy. Choices made...choices have repercussions.
Ya asked for it..ya got it there toyota..
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/03/natio ... -rico.html
http://www.peoplesworld.org/article/nav ... erto-rico/

Out of all our permanent inhabited territories they can't get their economy under control. It never has functioned.
It looks like any other colonized country by Spain
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:28 am

Here's a good table that shows taxes paid to the federal government by state. Puerto Rico is included. Looking at this chart, it makes me ponder what would happen to the economy if California was lost. Yes, we'd lose a lot of revenue, but I think we'd also lose a lot of money spent out. Also, we'd lose Hollywood, Silicon Valley and a whole host of farms, but I honestly think we'd survive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_t ... _Year_2015
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:06 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:Here's a good table that shows taxes paid to the federal government by state. Puerto Rico is included. Looking at this chart, it makes me ponder what would happen to the economy if California was lost. Yes, we'd lose a lot of revenue, but I think we'd also lose a lot of money spent out. Also, we'd lose Hollywood, Silicon Valley and a whole host of farms, but I honestly think we'd survive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_t ... _Year_2015

Might want to consider which states are "net givers" and which are "net takers" before you decide to kick out CA (or worse yet, NY). This chart shows which states get far more back from the federal gov't than they kick in, and which pay in way more than they get (and the gradations between, of course): https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... rs/361668/
The chart further down, showing % of residents on SNAP, ought to raise an eyebrow. Maybe two unless you're Spock. ;-)
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”