Ancestry DNA test

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Ancestry DNA test

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Just had a convo with my MIL. Everyone in our family has had one. My mother just had one and we suspected native American somewhere in our DNA but found none. I was sitting on the floor letting my 3yr old granddaughter pretend cut my hair and my MIL said, "Something is up, if you don't have a considerable amount of native American in your blood, then you have a different parent." I've been told all my life I look part indian. I was told for years there was indian on my mothers side. But, none was found. The only thing that might make it wrong is if I had been right all along, I was given to the wrong parents at the hospital. Forever I've felt I was born to the wrong family. Could it be there was a mistake at the hospital and I was born to a cowboy father and mother. And, i'm saying this all jokingly of course
But when my MIL asked when I was going to have mine done I told her I don't want in the database. I think its a trick to get that marker on file by feeding on peoples curiosities. Technically, my parents have had it done and a few of my kids have had it done...so, whats the point? Unless I want to make sure I have the right parents...lol
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6462
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: Ancestry DNA test

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:44 pm

If your kids have had it done, and their DNA profiles show no Native American markers, then you have no Native American blood in you. That's assuming that your children are not adopted, which from what I have read of your posts, I don't think your children are adopted.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2746
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Ancestry DNA test

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:51 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:Just had a convo with my MIL. Everyone in our family has had one. My mother just had one and we suspected native American somewhere in our DNA but found none. I was sitting on the floor letting my 3yr old granddaughter pretend cut my hair and my MIL said, "Something is up, if you don't have a considerable amount of native American in your blood, then you have a different parent." I've been told all my life I look part indian. I was told for years there was indian on my mothers side. But, none was found. The only thing that might make it wrong is if I had been right all along, I was given to the wrong parents at the hospital. Forever I've felt I was born to the wrong family. Could it be there was a mistake at the hospital and I was born to a cowboy father and mother. And, i'm saying this all jokingly of course
But when my MIL asked when I was going to have mine done I told her I don't want in the database. I think its a trick to get that marker on file by feeding on peoples curiosities. Technically, my parents have had it done and a few of my kids have had it done...so, whats the point? Unless I want to make sure I have the right parents...lol


It might be worthwhile. You may be related to Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and inherit his Gold Escalator. You could use it to train for the streets paced in gold in your after life.
:lol:
1 x

cattleman99
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: Great White North

Re: Ancestry DNA test

Postby cattleman99 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:06 pm

DNA washes out over time. It's possible you have minute amounts of native blood and your kids don't. You won't know if you don't take the test. Your kids take half your DNA and half their fathers. There is no guarantee they will take the same parts from both of you.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13500
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: Ancestry DNA test

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:17 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:Just had a convo with my MIL. Everyone in our family has had one. My mother just had one and we suspected native American somewhere in our DNA but found none. I was sitting on the floor letting my 3yr old granddaughter pretend cut my hair and my MIL said, "Something is up, if you don't have a considerable amount of native American in your blood, then you have a different parent." I've been told all my life I look part indian. I was told for years there was indian on my mothers side. But, none was found. The only thing that might make it wrong is if I had been right all along, I was given to the wrong parents at the hospital. Forever I've felt I was born to the wrong family. Could it be there was a mistake at the hospital and I was born to a cowboy father and mother. And, i'm saying this all jokingly of course
But when my MIL asked when I was going to have mine done I told her I don't want in the database. I think its a trick to get that marker on file by feeding on peoples curiosities. Technically, my parents have had it done and a few of my kids have had it done...so, whats the point? Unless I want to make sure I have the right parents...lol

For years and I would have betted on it,that Iron eyes Cody was Native American... He was Italian...there's a lot of folks eat up with Indian blood but don't look it..
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Ancestry DNA test

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:31 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:If your kids have had it done, and their DNA profiles show no Native American markers, then you have no Native American blood in you. That's assuming that your children are not adopted, which from what I have read of your posts, I don't think your children are adopted.

I don't think this is true...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12236
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Ancestry DNA test

Postby Nesikep » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:33 pm

I just really don't see the point of spending the money on it.. satisfy some curiosity perhaps sure, but I don't know how accurate it is yet for the different races.
1 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Ancestry DNA test

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:35 pm

My mom looks Asian.. Very small and jet black hair. My friends in school thought she was Asian, called her china lady. My sister looks Hispanic. My brother looked American indian too. But, I looked it the most. I'm assuming there is none there since my mom showed none. She did show N African, what the heck does that mean...lol
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cattleman99
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: Great White North

Re: Ancestry DNA test

Postby cattleman99 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Do some research on what I said. It is true. Enough generations pass and that Italian ancestor no longer shows in your DNA. When you get down under .1 per cent it gets harder to detect. Most human DNA work has been done on European ancestry. It's most accurate. Believe what you want but I am not making anything up here.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Ancestry DNA test

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:56 pm

cattleman99 wrote:Do some research on what I said. It is true. Enough generations pass and that Italian ancestor no longer shows in your DNA. When you get down under .1 per cent it gets harder to detect. Most human DNA work has been done on European ancestry. It's most accurate. Believe what you want but I am not making anything up here.

No, I agree with you. My oldest daughter explained it to me just like you did. She's doing a family tree and now you can go even further with the DNA. We really thought that some would show in my mothers since she looks very ethnic...must just be very very little...if any
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Cross-7
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1855
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: SW OK

Re: Ancestry DNA test

Postby Cross-7 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:59 pm

I know a couple of people that are of Native American ancestry but have no affiliation with any tribe due to not having any decedents on the roles
But I know two kids that have a tiny bit of Cherokee and have had free medical care their whole lives and receivesd help with college tuition through the Cherokee nation.
So I don't think it really matters other than to satisfy your own curiosity
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13500
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: Ancestry DNA test

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:59 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:My mom looks Asian.. Very small and jet black hair. My friends in school thought she was Asian, called her china lady. My sister looks Hispanic. My brother looked American indian too. But, I looked it the most. I'm assuming there is none there since my mom showed none. She did show N African, what the heck does that mean...lol

Egyptian maybe Algeria...you may be kin to Pharo..which would make sense.. :)
Last edited by ALACOWMAN on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13500
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: Ancestry DNA test

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Nesikep wrote:I just really don't see the point of spending the money on it.. satisfy some curiosity perhaps sure, but I don't know how accurate it is yet for the different races.

Curiousity.. Not very expensive now.. Maybe why it ain't accurate..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

User avatar
shaz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1246
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:04 pm
Location: Middle Tn

Re: Ancestry DNA test

Postby shaz » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:07 pm

Grandson told me "My DNA hurts".

Given who his parents are he may have a point.
1 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3145
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Ancestry DNA test

Postby callmefence » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:01 pm

:cowboy: My son had it done..came back pure Texan...
2 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett


Return to “Coffee Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: turklilley and 8 guests