Another view of big burl

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Another view of big burl

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:34 am

OOPS....double posted....So here's a different view.. Had to switch to skidder because skidsteer couldn't lift it..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Another view of big burl

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:01 am

Here is a burl for the record.
2 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:49 pm

Oh my, not sure how'd you tackle that one....
Spent 2 days inventing a way to cut our burl and it worked. I need to get a video editing program for the computer I have to get a full video of how we did it...but here are the slabs we cut today. There is some left to cut up, but we were pooped and it was getting dark out. Was tons of work, but its done. Now we wait until they are dry and ready to work....

We went burl hunting Saturday and found more, not as big, but nice sized ones. They seem to happen in areas, if you find one you'll find more. We found one on a bois Darc tree, there aren't many of those I think. Most are on post oaks here. While looking we found a 100+ ft sycamore just growing in the middle of nowhere in the woods. Planning a project with that wood, but for now it will be left standing....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:07 am

cowgirl8 wrote:Oh my, not sure how'd you tackle that one....
Spent 2 days inventing a way to cut our burl and it worked. I need to get a video editing program for the computer I have to get a full video of how we did it...but here are the slabs we cut today. There is some left to cut up, but we were pooped and it was getting dark out. Was tons of work, but its done. Now we wait until they are dry and ready to work....

We went burl hunting Saturday and found more, not as big, but nice sized ones. They seem to happen in areas, if you find one you'll find more. We found one on a bois Darc tree, there aren't many of those I think. Most are on post oaks here. While looking we found a 100+ ft sycamore just growing in the middle of nowhere in the woods. Planning a project with that wood, but for now it will be left standing....

Looking forward to the video so I know how you cut it. I imagine that wood is like sawing through a knot.
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”