Another view of big burl

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Another view of big burl

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:34 am

OOPS....double posted....So here's a different view.. Had to switch to skidder because skidsteer couldn't lift it..
Image
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5683
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Another view of big burl

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:01 am

Here is a burl for the record.
Image
2 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Another view of big burl

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:49 pm

Oh my, not sure how'd you tackle that one....
Spent 2 days inventing a way to cut our burl and it worked. I need to get a video editing program for the computer I have to get a full video of how we did it...but here are the slabs we cut today. There is some left to cut up, but we were pooped and it was getting dark out. Was tons of work, but its done. Now we wait until they are dry and ready to work....

Image
We went burl hunting Saturday and found more, not as big, but nice sized ones. They seem to happen in areas, if you find one you'll find more. We found one on a bois Darc tree, there aren't many of those I think. Most are on post oaks here. While looking we found a 100+ ft sycamore just growing in the middle of nowhere in the woods. Planning a project with that wood, but for now it will be left standing....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5683
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Another view of big burl

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:07 am

cowgirl8 wrote:Oh my, not sure how'd you tackle that one....
Spent 2 days inventing a way to cut our burl and it worked. I need to get a video editing program for the computer I have to get a full video of how we did it...but here are the slabs we cut today. There is some left to cut up, but we were pooped and it was getting dark out. Was tons of work, but its done. Now we wait until they are dry and ready to work....

Image
We went burl hunting Saturday and found more, not as big, but nice sized ones. They seem to happen in areas, if you find one you'll find more. We found one on a bois Darc tree, there aren't many of those I think. Most are on post oaks here. While looking we found a 100+ ft sycamore just growing in the middle of nowhere in the woods. Planning a project with that wood, but for now it will be left standing....


Looking forward to the video so I know how you cut it. I imagine that wood is like sawing through a knot.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Another view of big burl

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:52 am

I spent hours on a video only to find out the program I was using wants money to finish the video...lol...i'm such a knob. ANywho, i'll figure a way to get the video they wont let me have......but may be a little longer to get online....but its made, I just need a little more time due to being so busy lately.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5683
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Another view of big burl

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:56 am

cowgirl8 wrote:I spent hours on a video only to find out the program I was using wants money to finish the video...lol...i'm such a knob. ANywho, i'll figure a way to get the video they wont let me have......but may be a little longer to get online....but its made, I just need a little more time due to being so busy lately.


I was wondering. Thought you were probably busy. I only have a hobby operation and it keeps me hopping.

:lol: :lol:


PS: just a joke, son. Just a joke. :cboy:
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Another view of big burl

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:00 am

We've set our cow business on hold, its our vacation time. So we've switch to working on our wood hobby. I'm usually exhausted after a day of hobby wood working.
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5683
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Another view of big burl

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:05 am

cowgirl8 wrote:We've set our cow business on hold, its our vacation time. So we've switch to working on our wood hobby. I'm usually exhausted after a day of hobby wood working.


I would like to put my hobby operation on hold now and then. How does that work?
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Another view of big burl

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:19 am

We have dry cows now that spend the day standing around hay bales. Our son is in charge of feeding which gives us a lot of free time this time of year. The end of January I'll be back out on my 4 wheeler keeping a eye out for new early calves. Since hay is being put out daily I only check the herds once a day but sometimes I slack off until they start showing. We took off a few days to go marsh fishing. We may do another road trip before calving season and after we finish our redo of the house. Helps having a employee
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14984
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: Another view of big burl

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:45 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:We've set our cow business on hold, its our vacation time. So we've switch to working on our wood hobby. I'm usually exhausted after a day of hobby wood working.

With as many head as y'all run, don't see how you could put them on hold..
0 x
a liberal is a man, that will give away everything he doesn't own..

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Another view of big burl

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:50 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:We've set our cow business on hold, its our vacation time. So we've switch to working on our wood hobby. I'm usually exhausted after a day of hobby wood working.

With as many head as y'all run, don't see how you could put them on hold..

We don't have that many and we have a employee.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
ga.prime
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4607
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am
Location: So. Cent. Ga.

Re: Another view of big burl

Postby ga.prime » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Not being critical, but Cowgirl8 is a workaholic and a ratchet jaw.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Another view of big burl

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:29 pm

OK, impatiently waiting for my video to upload..taking FOREVER
Its bad, really bad cutting, pasting, i'm no Spielberg...but, if someone wants to see how we did it and is crafty they'll get it. Not for a beginner to learn from...But then again, how many people get the chance to cut into something like this.....very few.
It would work well with root balls....getting a good cut from the base of the tree with lots of roots.....would be a great way to cut that. Hope yall watch. Don't worry about me trying to con yall into watching my youtube so that i'll make money. If you want to see how we cut a burl, watch, if not don't.....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do


Return to “Coffee Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 12251HD and 3 guests