Selling old cows

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Selling old cows

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:51 am

It's getting time to sell some of our original cows for the place I take care of. These are like 03 models. A few of them are starting to show their age. The grass has been good so they are about as good as they are going to get. If we go in to a 4 year drought they probably would not make it or we would take a beating.

Im getting a little sentimental about these old cows. :( I have culled the group over the years for temperament, injuries, etc which is no problem for me... culling for just getting old is tough.

I have been known to pay a buddy to haul bulls so I didn't have to do it. :oops:
Last edited by Brute 23 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Selling old cows

Postby dun » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:57 am

Been down that road, just last week as a matter o fact. It sucks and doesn;t get any easier. Maybe even harder as you get older too.
5 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:28 am

Brute 23 wrote:It's getting time to sell some of our original cows for the place I take care of. These are like 03 models. A few of them are starting to show their age. The grass has been good so they are about as good as they are going to get. If we go in to a 4 year drought they probably would not make it or we would take a beating.

Im getting a little sentimental about these old cows. :( I have culled the group over the years for temperament, injuries, etc which is no problem for me... culling for just getting old is tough.

I have been known to pay a buddy to haul bulls so I didn't have to do it. :oops:

I still have one Brangus cow that I inherited from my father, who died in 2007, and she wasn't young then. I made up my mind last year that she can die on the place even if she lives another 5 years and never has another calf. I've never done that before, and probably won't again, but there it is.
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:27 am

My family is bad about just letting them die on the place... that usually involves me having to shoot them when they go down. I swore I wouldn't do that. I hate doing it plus it doesn't make financial sense.
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:53 am

Brute 23 wrote:I have been known to pay a buddy to haul bulls so I didn't have to do it. :oops:

When we take one in for slaughter, my wife gets all choked up. I've told her not to make pets out of them, but she still does it every time. This years calf is going to be tough b/c she made good friends with him while I was on the couch after my surgery.
1 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:17 am

My deal is not they are pets it's just if they are still around they did their job well. They probably have daughters doing their job too. It's more of a loyalty deal. A lot of those old cows are so easy to handle even when you work them. It's like an old dog... They just know what to do.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:39 am

Brute 23 wrote:My deal is not they are pets it's just if they are still around they did their job well. They probably have daughters doing their job too. It's more of a loyalty deal. A lot of those old cows are so easy to handle even when you work them. It's like an old dog... They just know what to do.

Only one here got to avoid the slaughter line.
After 19 steer calves and you could lead that old Brangus girl anywhere I figured she earned it.
1 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:49 pm

I also hate to do it but really don't see much difference. The slaughter house is a quick painless death. Going through the sale barn is much more painful and stressful plus the multi hour ride to the packers.
1 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:38 pm

bird dog wrote:I also hate to do it but really don't see much difference. The slaughter house is a quick painless death. Going through the sale barn is much more painful and stressful plus the multi hour ride to the packers.

True.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:29 pm

I sold a 15 year old, 1100lb, 7 month bred cow yesterday for 925 at the stockyard. No way will I let one die if I can do that.
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:43 pm

I some times feel like a slime ball, when I read threads like this. I have never felt any emotional attachment to a cow. She did her job, and I have to do mine.
1 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:53 pm

Brute 23 wrote:It's getting time to sell some of our original cows for the place I take care of. These are like 03 models. A few of them are starting to show their age. The grass has been good so they are about as good as they are going to get. If we go in to a 4 year drought they probably would not make it or we would take a beating.

Feel for you. Bad enough to cut good performing cows because of age when you can get a good check to ease the pain, but the check your going to get right now is just going to hurt your feelings more.

I sold a bunch last March In the 65 to 75 cent range. They were bringing 48 to 53 today.
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:32 am

We sold our last show heifer yesterday. It was sad, but it would have been sadder to find her down, half eaten.. or stuck in a pond, or any horrible ways a cow died naturally of old age. I see it as a better way to go, they don't know its coming. But Tator knew something was up, just hope its quick for her....We have her daughter to remind us of her, Tator JR...and her granddaughter Tator Jr Jr......She'll live on
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NolanCountyAG » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:04 pm

I hauled a trailer load to the packer Tuesday, some of them would eat out of my hand. But for $1.28/# it's worth it to get rid of them if they aren't producing.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:32 pm

NolanCountyAG wrote:I hauled a trailer load to the packer Tuesday, some of them would eat out of my hand. But for $1.28/# it's worth it to get rid of them if they aren't producing.

What packer was that? It would be worth the drive. :shock:
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”