Selling old cows

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Selling old cows

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:01 am

1982vett wrote:I sold a bunch last March In the 65 to 75 cent range. They were bringing 48 to 53 today.

Why is the cow market down so much? Is it the dairy cull?
0 x
Stocker Steve

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NolanCountyAG » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:35 am

Brute 23 wrote:
NolanCountyAG wrote:I hauled a trailer load to the packer Tuesday, some of them would eat out of my hand. But for $1.28/# it's worth it to get rid of them if they aren't producing.

What packer was that? It would be worth the drive. :shock:

Texas packing in San Angelo. Just opened not long ago. Must be trying to get customers back from lone star packing. They were 20 cents higher than lone star Tuesday.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:11 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
1982vett wrote:I sold a bunch last March In the 65 to 75 cent range. They were bringing 48 to 53 today.

Why is the cow market down so much? Is it the dairy cull?

Don’t know if it’s dairy specific, but I’ve heard their is a lot of cows going to market and prices for these cows usually are weak this time of year. Ya gotta kill an open cow don’t cha know...... ;-) :mrgreen:
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:31 am

November is usually the lowest cull cow pricing, but we are down from last November and speculation is that it will be lower yet in 2018...
I think I only have one open, but I have about 15 bred culls that were getting green chop corn. Don't need teeth for that.
1 x
Stocker Steve

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:06 am

Sold a couple from .35-.45 last week. They were pretty poor. Got a couple more with more condition that might break .50 but that's still dang low.
0 x
J & D Cattle

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:15 pm

sell the old cows and dont think twice about it.i look at selling my cows once they are 10yrs old.because at that age or older you run the risk of them getting sick and dieing.
0 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:10 pm

Some times it just don't make sense. 600 lb steer will bring $900. 1200 lb open cow will bring $600. Old (large) cow pairs bringing $800 to $900 don't look like a bad deal.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:47 pm

J&D Cattle wrote:Sold a couple from .35-.45 last week. They were pretty poor. Got a couple more with more condition that might break .50 but that's still dang low.

Ever try feeding some cull cows?
0 x
Stocker Steve

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:40 pm

We lost our oldest cow last week ... two days before her appointment with the butcher.

She was 23. The flavor on that ground beef would have been sublime ... alas.

Thanks for everything, Cassie. I hope your 9yr old granddaughter can keep on ...
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
J&D Cattle wrote:Sold a couple from .35-.45 last week. They were pretty poor. Got a couple more with more condition that might break .50 but that's still dang low.

Worm them. Fix their rumen bacteria and get them something to eat that's not to difficult to deal with (i.e., no round bales wound super tight).
0 x

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:58 am

Stocker Steve wrote:

I haven't. With just a handful it wasn't worth having them standing around in the way to me at this time. We didn't have much in them when we bought them as well.
0 x
J & D Cattle

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:56 am

I have bought a few thin cull cows in the past during the late winter and kicked them to spring grass. Helps take off the spring flush of grass and nothing gains like an open cow. That and a heavy cow brings more per pound than a thin cow. So you not only get the gain but increase value on the weight that was originally purchased. I learned to be careful not to buy real old cows. They don't gain weight nearly as well.
2 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:10 am

Bigfoot wrote:I some times feel like a slime ball, when I read threads like this. I have never felt any emotional attachment to a cow. She did her job, and I have to do mine.

I'm with you BF. I've only been doing this for 7 years but they all have a price or a reason to leave. I don't like leaving money on the table.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Dave wrote:I have bought a few thin cull cows in the past during the late winter and kicked them to spring grass. Helps take off the spring flush of grass and nothing gains like an open cow. That and a heavy cow brings more per pound than a thin cow. So you not only get the gain but increase value on the weight that was originally purchased. I learned to be careful not to buy real old cows. They don't gain weight nearly as well.

We needed cash flow so we gambled on some with an "O" for old on the tag last year and calved them out. They were wore out before we got them home but luckily all calved and raised a calf. One died a couple months ago but the low price we gave and the good calves they raised will net us a nice return. We will gamble again on most of them for one more calf and pick up some additional SS or BM cows soon. Probably steer clear of "O" though going forward.
0 x
J & D Cattle

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:41 pm

A couple of approaches that have worked for us with older cows:

1 -- Buy old (8-12 yr old cows) 3rd trimester cows. Calve them out, turn out with a bull for a very narrow window, cull all opens at weaning time via butcher (grassfed ground beef at good prices) or sale barn, based on the volume needed (if any) by the beef marketing operation, and possibly keeping the top half (?) of the heifer class (using our current-weight as a percentage of hip-height-at-weaning-projected-to-mature-weight ratio; all of which is easy to determine w/ a spreadsheet and a frame score chart and the accompanying formulas) and sell the rest of the heifers and all of the steers via the highest market (off the farm to others wanting to raise good grassfed beef, sale barn, veal market at local restaurants, etc.).

2 -- Buy old (8+ year old) open and very thin cows ... worm them, fix their rumen (often really thin cows have really crapped out rumens and need good gut bacteria to have a shot at fixing themselves), then feed them until they are rounded a bit over the hips, then, depending on market, our need for cash, and the off-the-farm beef demand, beef them, breed them (to sell after they've entered at least the 2nd trimester), or just flip them as fatter-open-cows.

Also, often before making animal-specific keep / cull decisions, we'll take a good look at the teeth and let that be whatever tie-breaker we would have otherwise needed. Excepting teeth-related decisions, typically, calm animals stay longer, as do deep / wide / shorter animals.
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”