Its not Anecdotal

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
boondocks
GURU
GURU

Re: Its not Anecdotal

Postby boondocks » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:20 pm

Dave wrote:That West Virginia death rate is only exceed by 4 or 5 of the most dangerous jobs in the country. There are a lot of jobs that many people consider dangerous that have a much lower death rate.

Just got back 2 weeks ago from visiting the old homelands in WV. Spent several days traipsing around the cemeteries (in very poor rural areas), "visiting" our long-departed ancestors. Kept seeing new graves from the past year to five. A shocking number of people in their late teens to age 50 or so. There were cemeteries where ALL of the fresh graves were either the very young (under age 28 or so), or the elderly. I had to conclude many were likely opiate/heroin/fentanyl deaths. Very sad
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:02 pm

I also cannot see the big draw to drugs for myself. There hasn't been a prescription yet that will even take off the edge of the knee/ankle pain. The hydrocodone, and tramadol and such just make me queasy and a little light headed, that's not my idea of "feeling good". Oxycontin doesn't even register.... meloxicam was like taking m&m's .... seriously, wish sometimes I could find something to take the edge off. I hate the queasy feeling, sometimes it isn't as pronounced if I've eaten first.... but what's the point if I don't get any relief from the pain in the ankle. Yet there are so many that don"t do anything but get high and mooch off someone else..... sometimes I just think that if their life is that unimportant then they need to take an overdose and put themselves and every one else that they cause to suffer out of their misery. Guess that's cold... but I have very little use for anyone who just gives up or doesn't try. I know I wouldn't make a good counselor...
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:10 pm

Rafter S wrote:
dun wrote:When I got my prescription renewed the other day I commented to the doc that I didn;t understand why people took them to get high since all they do for me is take the edge off the pain. I said they affect people in different ways. Then he related his experience. A couple of years ago he had kidney surgery. The next day he took one Norco (the same stuff I use). He said a couple of hours later when he woke up he LOVED everybody. And was calling people he hadn't talked to in years. Decided then and there never again.

I take hydrocodone occasionally when my back pain is worse than usual, but also can't imagine getting hooked on them. Besides the unpleasant effects on my digestive system they make me feel realllly relaxed, but I can't sleep until they wear off.

Was on it a few years ago after shoulder surgery. Definitly eased the sting from surgery, but best of all, it took care of all my other aches too. Didn’t realize that till I stopped taking it.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:54 pm

farmerjan wrote:.... sometimes I just think that if their life is that unimportant then they need to take an overdose and put themselves and every one else that they cause to suffer out of their misery. Guess that's cold... but I have very little use for anyone who just gives up or doesn't try. I know I wouldn't make a good counselor...

I don't know what a "good counselor" would say. Maybe your approach would be a kind of shock treatment. I am startled by your statement that they "need to take an overdose" and put themselves out of their misery. I wonder if you mean that?
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Took hydrocodone a few times in the hospital (I think they called it norco) after heart bypass surgery.
Didn't do squat for the pain but did make me just not give a shat that I hurt.
The morphine I got when I was burned..yes, that worked..but not for very long.
I can see how someone could get hooked on morphine pretty easy.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:04 pm

TexasBred wrote:.good news is that drugs would be much more affordable for all of them. :nod: :nod: :nod:

And with any luck they would all OD and die
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:13 pm

A first cousin on my mother's side is 68. He retired from police service in Indiana and took an after-retirement job as a Railroad Detective. The years of service took a toll on his body and he has arthritis. He has been on opiates for many years. His doctor was forthright that he would become dependent. The alternative is suffering the pain and disability. He says he is absolutely addicted. If he does not take it daily, he said he feels so bad, he cannot function. IDK. I don't take anything but a baby aspirin and some GNC vitamins. I certainly am beginning to feel some joint pains. I would not like to be in his situation.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:44 pm

The drug problems are definitely reaching dire circumstances. I have known several who have died young, and many who have made a mess of their lives due to drugs or alcohol. I think in a lot of cases society ( some tv shows, movies, music, ) seems to glorify or maybe even promote use of alcohol or drugs. I have heard several folks argue the point for legalizing marijuana but I am concerned that it is a door opener to harder drugs. I have a close friend who has really struggled with addictions, and has been clean for a while now. He is a good, hardworking talented man, hopeful that he will continue to stay clean.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:51 pm

Bright Raven wrote:A first cousin on my mother's side is 68. He retired from police service in Indiana and took an after-retirement job as a Railroad Detective. The years of service took a toll on his body and he has arthritis. He has been on opiates for many years. His doctor was forthright that he would become dependent. The alternative is suffering the pain and disability. He says he is absolutely addicted. If he does not take it daily, he said he feels so bad, he cannot function. IDK. I don't take anything but a baby aspirin and some GNC vitamins. I certainly am beginning to feel some joint pains. I would not like to be in his situation.

There's a major difference between your cousin and some deadbeat - freeloader that will steal you blind, or possibly kill you to feed their drug habit. I've taken my share of drugs from A to Z for pain, and occasionally still do, but I prefer to just walk the pain out. Diet, exercise, and stress all play a part in pain management. IMO
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:54 pm

farmerjan wrote:I also cannot see the big draw to drugs for myself. There hasn't been a prescription yet that will even take off the edge of the knee/ankle pain. The hydrocodone, and tramadol and such just make me queasy and a little light headed, that's not my idea of "feeling good". Oxycontin doesn't even register.... meloxicam was like taking m&m's .... seriously, wish sometimes I could find something to take the edge off. I hate the queasy feeling, sometimes it isn't as pronounced if I've eaten first.... but what's the point if I don't get any relief from the pain in the ankle. Yet there are so many that don"t do anything but get high and mooch off someone else..... sometimes I just think that if their life is that unimportant then they need to take an overdose and put themselves and every one else that they cause to suffer out of their misery. Guess that's cold... but I have very little use for anyone who just gives up or doesn't try. I know I wouldn't make a good counselor...

Have you ever smoke pot for your ails?
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:33 am

Years ago when I was stationed in sanfrancisco I was class B brown bagging with a young lady whose sister had pretty much turned her brains to mush from drugs. My oldest nephew was starting to experiment so I day I took him for ride to get something from the sisters place. When we left he asked what was wrong with her so I told him. That was the end of his drug fooling around.
2 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:35 am

Bright Raven wrote:A first cousin on my mother's side is 68. He retired from police service in Indiana and took an after-retirement job as a Railroad Detective. The years of service took a toll on his body and he has arthritis. He has been on opiates for many years. His doctor was forthright that he would become dependent. The alternative is suffering the pain and disability. He says he is absolutely addicted. If he does not take it daily, he said he feels so bad, he cannot function. IDK. I don't take anything but a baby aspirin and some GNC vitamins. I certainly am beginning to feel some joint pains. I would not like to be in his situation.

I'm addicted the same way. More of an addiction to being able to function then anything else
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:33 am

Bright Raven wrote:
I don't know what a "good counselor" would say. Maybe your approach would be a kind of shock treatment. I am startled by your statement that they "need to take an overdose" and put themselves out of their misery. I wonder if you mean that?

I have taken some courses (through my employer) in this area. The current movement, after establishing that the person has an interest in changing their lifestyle, is to ask many open ended questions to help them discover the things in their lives that are motivating them to change. What or who do they value?Then, you attempt to help them establish clear, achievable goals. Next, you assist by forming a plan with interventions and behaviors that the person feels they can utilize to achieve these goals. Frequent follow up is key to success. Modifying the plan with successes and failures is paramount in experiencing long term success. This is a VERY abbreviated synopsis.

What I see firsthand in so many situations, when it comes to addicts, is that step 1 (identifying what is valuable in your life enough to motivate you to stop) is the real stumbling block for many. They are so consumed that they quite frankly care for nothing else more than they do the drug/high. Not children, spouse, lover, dog, money or their own life. Without establishing a real motivation, personal to the individual, to stop the negative behavior, failure is inevitable.
Imagine the chemical and electrical hardwiring changes that must occur in ones brain to chose a drug over their child. Very powerful stuff.
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:22 am

Dave wrote:That West Virginia death rate is only exceed by 4 or 5 of the most dangerous jobs in the country. There are a lot of jobs that many people consider dangerous that have a much lower death rate.

One of those dangerous jobs wouldn't be ranching would it?
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:43 am

farmerjan wrote:I also cannot see the big draw to drugs for myself. There hasn't been a prescription yet that will even take off the edge of the knee/ankle pain. The hydrocodone, and tramadol and such just make me queasy and a little light headed, that's not my idea of "feeling good". Oxycontin doesn't even register.... meloxicam was like taking m&m's .... seriously, wish sometimes I could find something to take the edge off. I hate the queasy feeling, sometimes it isn't as pronounced if I've eaten first.... but what's the point if I don't get any relief from the pain in the ankle. Yet there are so many that don"t do anything but get high and mooch off someone else..... sometimes I just think that if their life is that unimportant then they need to take an overdose and put themselves and every one else that they cause to suffer out of their misery. Guess that's cold... but I have very little use for anyone who just gives up or doesn't try. I know I wouldn't make a good counselor...

Most of the real addicts mainline the stuff now. They get nothing from taking it orally either.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Coffee Shop”