Horses or ATV's

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Horses or ATV's

Postby customcattle » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:10 pm

dun wrote:
customcattle wrote:
hillbilly beef man wrote:What's your stocking rate on that 10,000 acre pasture? That would be 5,000 pairs here, just wondering how many head we are talking about two people working.

The stocking rate is about 40 acres per cow. We were in high mountain desert country. It was usually between 250-300 head depending on the year.

Must be pretty lush high desert. Where we were it was a pair per 300 acres.

Haha yeah I don't know if I would say lush, but it's very high in protein what little there is. I don't know for sure, but have heard it can reach up to 21% protein value. I'm not sure they ever summered any cows there. We would trail them from there up the mountain about 30 miles in three days.
0 x

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:19 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I don't think it's really one or the other.... They serve two totally different purposes IMO. It's like comparing a hammer and a crescent wrench. You can drive a nail with a crescent wrench but it's best done with a hammer. You can loosen a nut with a hammer but it's best done with a crescent wrench.

I guess I'm not seeing where they are so different. In this part of the country you go gather cattle and either gather horseback, or ya do what we call "farmer gather" and gather them with a four wheeler. Either way you're getting around and pushing them where ya want to go.

There are rare occasions when ya see somebody cake them in with the cake truck or a bag of feed. That's usually if they are in a calving lot or something
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:12 pm

Nesikep wrote:Neither for me.. Though most of the time they just come when called, a dirt bike is MUCH more nimble than an ATV, accelerates twice as fast, and can follow the cow trails without a problem.

I can relate. I have used feed, but they usually just come when I call. I’ve stood by a gate before when I wanted to rotate pasture with no cows in sight. I start calling, and they usually appear.

I agree about the dirt bike as well. I don’t have either now, but I used to have a dirt bike, and I’ve used ATVs. Personally, I prefer a dirt bike. As you wrote, much more nimble, faster acceleration, they can fit in smaller places, and I just feel like I have more control. I can’t, however, think of one person who has a dirt bike these days. I don’t know what the draw of an ATV is.
0 x

Silver
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Silver » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:19 pm

We use either or. There are places here you can't get to with a horse, and other places you can't get through with a quad. It seems to me if you can't figure out how to move cattle with one you probably can't figure out how to move them with the other.
As far as calling them or leading them with a bucket, you could get pretty lonely here in the bush calling cattle with your bucket in hand. But that's maybe just here.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:08 am

herofan wrote:
Nesikep wrote:Neither for me.. Though most of the time they just come when called, a dirt bike is MUCH more nimble than an ATV, accelerates twice as fast, and can follow the cow trails without a problem.

I can relate. I have used feed, but they usually just come when I call. I’ve stood by a gate before when I wanted to rotate pasture with no cows in sight. I start calling, and they usually appear.

I agree about the dirt bike as well. I don’t have either now, but I used to have a dirt bike, and I’ve used ATVs. Personally, I prefer a dirt bike. As you wrote, much more nimble, faster acceleration, they can fit in smaller places, and I just feel like I have more control. I can’t, however, think of one person who has a dirt bike these days. I don’t know what the draw of an ATV is.

I once had to hop on an ATV having never ridden one to help a fellow herd his horses out of his cows.. I felt like such a bumbling oaf on that thing.. I do have one now, it's nice to carry things on, but that's about it
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Two things come to mind from the wife who owned a ranch in the high desert on the Oregon/Nevada line. She said that she rode for days some times only to come in to the ranch in the evening being able to say, "I don't know where the cows are but I can tell you where they aren't." She also said that a hired hand on the neighboring ranch said if it is more than a mile away and doesn't move I am calling it a rock.
I worked for a ranch up in the Okanogan that ran 330 pairs on 33,000 acres. Lots of timber, rock, broken ground and steep ground. A horse was the only way to gather cattle. Quads were used at times and in places as a good tool. But when it came time to gather cows it was done horseback. Feed could be used to move them once they were in the hay fields at the ranch but it was of no use when they were in the hills.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:09 am

One of my all time favorite lines in a movie....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y62O3NmhqrA
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:52 pm

ATV Because it's low maintenance, gas is cheaper then hay. When my cattle hear my ATV, me calling, or my horn on the truck honking they come in. No need for a horse here. There are times I wish I had one to get into the places my ATV can't do, instead of having to walk it but I would rather walk then have to maintain another animal. Forget who it was but someone here called horses "haywasters". I have used that line ever since. Out here in this terrain an ATV works just fine.
Last edited by BK9954 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:13 pm

I spent this morning helping a friend, his pastor, and pastor's son gather up a small bunch. There was 18 fall pairs and 25 yearling replacement heifers. I got the easy and warm job. I dropped them off and drove the pickup around. It is two miles from the drop off point to the county road where in met them. I have hunted that property. There are two canyons between point A and point B that you aren't driving a quad through. Once at the county road it was another two miles down the road to the property where the corral and loading chute are. There is no way a quad or a grain bucket would work in this situation. But three guys horseback and two good dogs made fairly quick work of it. They were a little cold (25 degrees and there was 3 inches of snow there yesterday) but the heater worked just fine in the pickup.
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”