Pen Designs

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Re: Pen Designs

Postby BRYANT » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:34 am

When I was growing up our lot was made out of some pallets that Grandpa had gotten from some place. The things were about 6' tall and 8' long and weighed what seemed like a ton, our working shoot was a piece of and old high line pole cemented in the middle. You rope them and snub to the post, that's a lot of fun on them rank Brahman cross cattle. GOOD OL DAYS
thought this might be interesting to some while on the subject of corral building.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

farmboy80
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby farmboy80 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:45 am

WalnutCrest wrote:If I'm smart enough to figure out how to do it, I'll try to post some hand-sketched drawing of some facilities I'm considering building (as money and time allow). We just bought a new place that has some marginal-quality pens that either need to be ripped out and redone so they're more efficient for what we do (the guy we bought from mostly had stockers and a few old cows he'd coax a calf out of once in a while if he was able to get someone out to AI them). I don't like the pens and I don't like their location, but leaving them where they are (and redoing them) is probably tons cheaper than moving them where I want them (by the blacktop road for advertising, mainly).

I like thinking about this sort of stuff ... thanks for starting the thread. :)

I don't know about your area, but around here if you put it by the road you're asking to get them stolen. Easier access for you = easier access for cattle thieves.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:00 am

Here's one I built a few years ago at a rent pasture. If I was doing it over I'd make the alley 10' instead of 12', but other than that I like it. I have about 20 cows there, but it would work fine with more.

0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:15 am

BRYANT wrote:When I was growing up our lot was made out of some pallets that Grandpa had gotten from some place. The things were about 6' tall and 8' long and weighed what seemed like a ton, our working shoot was a piece of and old high line pole cemented in the middle. You rope them and snub to the post, that's a lot of fun on them rank Brahman cross cattle. GOOD OL DAYS
thought this might be interesting to some while on the subject of corral building.

Ours was a tree for the 1st couple-3 years, then we graduated up to the post. Glad we started off with polled herefords...
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:37 am

Like I said it'll be 10' between post on corral and 8' in the alley/tub area. I plan on putting a 8' gate in the alley before the chute that opens in and will turn an unwanted cow back in the corral. I'll also probably angle the corners so as there's no pinch points.
0 x

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:05 am

Ky cowboy wrote:Image
Like I said it'll be 10' between post on corral and 8' in the alley/tub area. I plan on putting a 8' gate in the alley before the chute that opens in and will turn an unwanted cow back in the corral. I'll also probably angle the corners so as there's no pinch points.

That looks like it ought to work. How many cows are ya thinking you will put through it? I personally like cattle going through the chute into another corral, it never seems to fail that if they are still contained I can catch every one of them without a problem, but if they are free to the wide open, one always gets through on me.

On your corners, I don't have anything against it, but in my experience it doesn't seem to matter if the corners are angled off or if they are square, if cattle are going to ball up, they're gonna do it no matter. In a situation if they have somewhere to move, like an open corral, they are going to move, but if you're trying to get them down an alley in a tub thats when they generally lock up.
0 x

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:15 am

Rafter S wrote:Here's one I built a few years ago at a rent pasture. If I was doing it over I'd make the alley 10' instead of 12', but other than that I like it. I have about 20 cows there, but it would work fine with more.

I like the amount of gates that you have on that set up. Looks like they would work well through there. Do you like the way they flow down the bottle neck "tub" area?
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:46 pm

customcattle wrote:
Rafter S wrote:Here's one I built a few years ago at a rent pasture. If I was doing it over I'd make the alley 10' instead of 12', but other than that I like it. I have about 20 cows there, but it would work fine with more.

I like the amount of gates that you have on that set up. Looks like they would work well through there. Do you like the way they flow down the bottle neck "tub" area?

They do fair. Some of mine are so tame they just stand there, and I keep forgetting to buy new batteries for my Hot Shot. And you can't have too many gates in a working pen.
Last edited by Rafter S on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Around 50 head at the most
0 x

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:52 pm

Ky cowboy wrote:Around 50 head at the most

I like it. What is your plans for sorting cattle though? Just as you run them through the chute? I'm a big fan of a long alley so I can get a bunch in and sort them out of the alley.
0 x

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:37 pm

We don't do a lot of sorting. What is done will be done with the gate in the alley, allowing them back in the corral. The corral is between 2 pastures so I can turn out in one or the other
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:03 pm

Whatever I do, I suspect it will involve one of these cornerless tubs as the centerpiece --- I just love that you can sort out of each of the pieces of the pie (they make 90s, 120s and 180s) into a pen in the back of the tub, then re-gather out of that pen back into the tub ... sorting heifers from bulls ... mamas from babies ... bulls into one area then another ... gathering, organizing, shipping, etc.

https://www.lagind.com/crowding-tubs

LDEnterprises owns one (on my recommendation, even though he knows I don't own one yet) ... maybe he can chime in on how he likes it.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:01 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:Whatever I do, I suspect it will involve one of these cornerless tubs as the centerpiece --- I just love that you can sort out of each of the pieces of the pie (they make 90s, 120s and 180s) into a pen in the back of the tub, then re-gather out of that pen back into the tub ... sorting heifers from bulls ... mamas from babies ... bulls into one area then another ... gathering, organizing, shipping, etc.

LDEnterprises owns one (on my recommendation, even though he knows I don't own one yet) ... maybe he can chime in on how he likes it.

I like that tub,probably the best design I've seen wish I could afford/justify it just not there yet.
0 x

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:49 am

WalnutCrest wrote:Whatever I do, I suspect it will involve one of these cornerless tubs as the centerpiece --- I just love that you can sort out of each of the pieces of the pie (they make 90s, 120s and 180s) into a pen in the back of the tub, then re-gather out of that pen back into the tub ... sorting heifers from bulls ... mamas from babies ... bulls into one area then another ... gathering, organizing, shipping, etc.

I like the idea of that tub. I do have a couple questions for somebody who has one or been around one, is does it make the tub weaker? Any place in a corral set up where there is a gate, that is the weakest point. My other question in watching it operate is would you have to have somebody else running your sort gates? It looks to me like you would have to be in the tub with cattle in order to run those sorting gates. I really like the design, and for somebody with a weekend or two free it wouldn't be that difficult to duplicate, except for maybe the crowd gate on the crowd gate...?
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:01 pm

One of the places I have been looking at has no pens. The rancher friend I have been helping said the good news is you can build it the way you want it. The bad news is you have to build it.
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”