Pen Designs

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Pen Designs

Postby Ky cowboy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:26 pm

Trying to fine tune my tub design. How wide should the tub be, I originally thought 12 feet but now I'm 2nd guesing myself
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:02 pm

What do you guys think of this setup I'm considering?

https://ibb.co/jWmZ2m

0 x

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:11 pm

Ky cowboy wrote:Trying to fine tune my tub design. How wide should the tub be, I originally thought 12 feet but now I'm 2nd guesing myself

I think that a 12' tub on the setup you have drawn would be plenty. From what I can see you are looking at a 28' alleyway which would be able to hold 4-5 head of cows, and a 12' quarter tub would hold that many cows. I sometimes think that people get carried away with the size of their tub, as a person shouldn't put any more cattle in the tub than will fit in the alleyway in order to support flow. Generally if cattle have the opportunity to stand in the tub they are harder to load into the alleyway.
0 x

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:17 pm

ddd75 wrote:What do you guys think of this setup I'm considering?

https://ibb.co/jWmZ2m

That setup would work well I think. How wide are your alleys? How long is your working alley? The only think I see that I would want on a set up for me would be some sort pens off the alley as I like being able to sort cattle off and pen them. My wife and I sorted through 70 head this morning sizing calves into three different bunches in about 15 minutes. If we wouldn't have been able to sort and pen them I think it would have taken twice as long and only been able to go two ways.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 am

So, you have working pens off of your working alley?

Can I see that?
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:00 pm

customcattle wrote:
ddd75 wrote:What do you guys think of this setup I'm considering?

That setup would work well I think. How wide are your alleys? How long is your working alley? The only think I see that I would want on a set up for me would be some sort pens off the alley as I like being able to sort cattle off and pen them. My wife and I sorted through 70 head this morning sizing calves into three different bunches in about 15 minutes. If we wouldn't have been able to sort and pen them I think it would have taken twice as long and only been able to go two ways.

alleys will be 12'. Working alley is 10' long
0 x

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:55 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:So, you have working pens off of your working alley?

Can I see that?

I don't necessarily have working pens off the alley, but I have what I call sorting pens off the alley. The gates open into the alley in order to pen cattle off when you are sorting them.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:53 pm

customcattle wrote:

Can I see that?

I don't necessarily have working pens off the alley, but I have what I call sorting pens off the alley. The gates open into the alley in order to pen cattle off when you are sorting them.

Do you have a picture or drawing?
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:30 am

Here's a quick drawing of what I mean by sorting pens off the alley.

You would bring them in to the holding/catch pen, and say you are preconditioning calves still on the cow. You would load the alley and sort heifers into say sorting pen 1, steers into sorting pen 2, and let the cows by, back into the catch pen. Just have one person on each of the sorting pen gates. The cattle already want to go back to the catch pen in this set up so it would just be a matter of sexing the calves and getting out of the cows way so they could go by.
0 x

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:50 am

WalnutCrest wrote:
customcattle wrote:

Can I see that?

Do you have a picture or drawing?

Here is what we have at our place now. It works pretty good for the most part, I wish I had a better way of sorting them out of the chute like when we preg check. But when we sort cattle we will bring in drafts to sort and my wife will run the gate on the pen closest to the chute/budbox area and sort calves into there to hold and let the cows by to the feedlot pen. Once we get all the calves sorted off if we need to then we can sex the calves and pen them in the two sorting pens.

All the corrals are pretty much falling down around our place, and if we are able to get it bought (leased ground right now) we are going to redesign some stuff to make it work better for us.

0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”