If you run over a dog???

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Re: If you run over a dog???

Postby Rafter S » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:30 pm

Years ago I fed horses for a guy that had a Doberman. The driveway was about 1/4 mile long, and I was driving a compact pickup at the time. This dog loved to run along in front of me down the driveway, and finally move over as I drove faster and then chase me. He was doing this one day and I wasn't paying much attention until all of a sudden I couldn't see the dog any more, and then immediately felt the truck bucking as I rolled him up underneath. I stopped the truck and got out to check him. He had a little hide knocked off his hips and shoulders, and appeared to be sore, but otherwise unharmed. After that he still chased other people, but when I fired up that little truck he'd go lay down in front of the garage until I was out of sight.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:37 pm

Rafter S wrote:Years ago I fed horses for a guy that had a Doberman. The driveway was about 1/4 mile long, and I was driving a compact pickup at the time. This dog loved to run along in front of me down the driveway, and finally move over as I drove faster and then chase me. He was doing this one day and I wasn't paying much attention until all of a sudden I couldn't see the dog any more, and then immediately felt the truck bucking as I rolled him up underneath. I stopped the truck and got out to check him. He had a little hide knocked off his hips and shoulders, and appeared to be sore, but otherwise unharmed. After that he still chased other people, but when I fired up that little truck he'd go lay down in front of the garage until I was out of sight.
best way for em to learn..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:45 pm

Few years back there was a dog"""pit bull""that terrorized the neighborhood...and chasing cars was his forte. Was driving my ton one day and he was biting at my front tires.. He'd been use too running cars and standard trucks, and hadn't calculated for the extra rear wheels, they got him..back end came plumb off the ground..a round of thumbs up from the locals...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:05 pm

dun wrote:
Bright Raven wrote: It is the owner's responsibility to train and manage their dog.

True,but just like kids and cattle a dog will sometimes do something they shoudln;t

good answer dun, makes my blood boil to hear these people any time a subject like this comes up talk the bad boy talk like some say ''just run them over''. I won't run over a dog or a cat ,and I hate cats, but it may be some little kids that love them like some on here love their cows.
2 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:14 pm

Bad time to tell this story, but many years ago, I was traveling home from a roping at night. I had a fairly new truck, and halogen head lights hadn't been on the market long. Even though you were driving on dim, people thought you were on bright. Seemed like every other car flashed their lights at ya. I was approach a curve, while meeting someone. They flashed their lights at me, but I assumed they didn't know I was on dim. Soon as I passed them, there was a pack of dogs in the road eating something. I mean like 8-12 dogs. I had a bumper pull trailer on a half ton truck. I couldn't do much swerving or breaking. I hit that pack of dogs head on. One or two might have escaped unharmed, but not many. Terrible sight in my side view mirror, when I looked back.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:04 pm

BRYANT wrote:
dun wrote:
Bright Raven wrote: It is the owner's responsibility to train and manage their dog.

True,but just like kids and cattle a dog will sometimes do something they shoudln;t

good answer dun, makes my blood boil to hear these people any time a subject like this comes up talk the bad boy talk like some say ''just run them over''. I won't run over a dog or a cat ,and I hate cats, but it may be some little kids that love them like some on here love their cows.

The way I look at it is I'm going to avoid hitting them if I can, but I'm not going to wreck my truck doing it. I've hit a few, and I think the only time I stopped was just down the road from my house. A miniature Dachshund ran out in front of me and there wasn't a thing in the world I could do except hit it. I stopped and picked it up and put it in the back of my truck, and went and knocked on the door. I was sure glad the lady of the house answered the door and not one of her three small children. I felt bad enough as it was.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:50 pm

In your situation Bigfoot, I probably would have kept going. There's nothing you can do to help the dog and you could have done to help the situation. However if abe I probably would have stopped if I could have. At least to own up to it.
0 x
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
Ghandi

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:21 am

Was bringing my bull home last month and the same thing happened , dog ran across 3 lanes of traffic in the middle of town . Nothing you can do period .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Return to “Coffee Shop”