If you run over a dog???

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: If you run over a dog???

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:14 pm

I had a dog run out in front of me a couple years ago. It was at a house close to work. He darted out in front of me. I could not stop so I called the Sheriff's office and told them what happened, that the dog was injured, if they could send some one. They said they would take care of it.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:33 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I had a dog run out in front of me a couple years ago. It was at a house close to work. He darted out in front of me. I could not stop so I called the Sheriff's office and told them what happened, that the dog was injured, if they could send some one. They said they would take care of it.

That was a good idea no chance of running into a crazy owner.
1 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:09 pm

I would have done what you did.
1 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:42 pm

My sister-in-law hit a dog that came out of a driveway trying to bite at the car tires, she was going maybe 20 mph.
Killed the dog and the dog damaged the front fender to the tune of $400.

She was so dumb... she went up to the house, apologized, gave the owner $100 and paid for her own car repair.
They should have been the ones apologizing and paying for failure in the care, custody and control of their dog.
5 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:43 am

I lived on a gravel road. Almost every dog I had got ran over, or stole if they were a good beagle. I always appreciated when they stopped, but odds are it was a neighbor.

I'd stop if I hit one.

Hitting a dog on a bike can be bad news to the rider.

I don't let my dogs run loose now, and thinking back we never thought of penning our dogs. Everyone had dogs that ran loose, but we were pretty spread out. Sometimes dogs just disappeared.

I think people get too attached to their dogs now. People act like it is their kid. Seems like misplaced affection to me to treat a dog like a kid, irrational even.
7 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:03 am

id be willing to bet unless you know for sure you squashed it that it was gone by the time you would've went back anyways. ive hit 2/3 and never found em..or the hog I hit..but I did find the deer..but not the one my wife hit...

they take quite a beating and run off to die or go home..

not yer fault..not yer problem
1 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:30 am

I would have done the same in your situation and felt the same. In town with stock trailer and didn't know who's dog it was. I'm sure it would have been hard to find somewhere to pull over, hard to figure who's dog it was, and might have got a tongue lashing. On the other hand I appreciate ones who've stopped here and have told me. What ticks me off are the ***** who hit them on purpose (they're out there) and the ones who don't try to not hit them. I'm not saying swerve and run off the road or hit somebody else. There is driving a car under control, brakes on them, and a speed limit for a reason. Probably everyone is going to hit one at some point and most likely everyone loses one to a car at some point. We all should do the right thing and try and be courteous to each other when we can.
1 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:33 am

Little thing took a full on direct hit from all 3 tires on the truck, and both trailer tires. He was in the road motionless, when I looked back. I hope no kid was associated with the dog.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:58 am

Guy hit a dog by a farm I lease. He dug a hole and used a tobacco stick for a marker. Wrote a note saying that he tried to miss but couldn't, nailed the collar with no tag to the marker.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:58 am

I saw my neighbor's daughter swerve to miss my dog who was in the road - which is rare because I make every effort to train my dog to stay off the road to the extent of using a shock collar, which really works.

But I told him to tell her not to put herself at risk to save my dog. I love my dogs but I have to do what is right. It is the owner's responsibility to train and manage their dog.
5 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:59 am

Bigfoot wrote:Little thing took a full on direct hit from all 3 tires on the truck, and both trailer tires. He was in the road motionless, when I looked back. I hope no kid was associated with the dog.

I know what you mean I would feel the same way, but I would advise you not to worry or think much more about it. It ran in front of you, and you couldn't help but hit it, no wrong doing on your part at all. It is a dog owners responsibility to care for and contain their animals.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:14 am

Bright Raven wrote: It is the owner's responsibility to train and manage their dog.

True,but just like kids and cattle a dog will sometimes do something they shoudln;t
2 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:38 pm

My neighbors have some STUPID dogs.. they hear you coming and will hide behind a tree, then dart out in front of you.. The husband knows this, and he hates the dogs.. every one they get is dumber than the last, they seem to learn it! He wouldn't give a rodents rectum if someone hit them, he does try to keep them in, but they always find some hole to crawl out of.

Another neighbor lives at the top of a hill along an S curve on the gravel road.. big german shepherd.. same thing, hides behind bushes then darts out and chases the vehicles.. I had fun with him for a few years.. I'd wait for him, spool up the turbo a little, and drift the corner at full throttle, just showering him with rocks... He still waits for vehicles behind that bush, but he runs home when he sees me coming now!

I think calling the local LEO is the best thing to do after hitting a dog or wildlife... I hit a black bear once with the trailer.. I was doing about 60mph, fresh black asphalt at midnight, you really don't see a black bear until you're 20 feet away from it... I didn't brake, didn't swerve, didn't let off the throttle, He hit every axle, trailer bounced all over the place... wasn't going to stop and say hello to an injured bear.. called conservation officer for him to take care of it.
Hit a deer once, stopped, and just happened to have my .22 with me.. finished it off then and there because I was equipped to do it
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:21 pm

Stop, quickly throw it in the trailer and haul azz keeping your eye open for a Chinese restaurant to sell it to?

:hide: :hide:
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:29 pm

dun wrote:
Bright Raven wrote: It is the owner's responsibility to train and manage their dog.

True,but just like kids and cattle a dog will sometimes do something they shoudln;t
my cattle always do something they shouldn't....
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Return to “Coffee Shop”