Interview with the Texan who stopped the massacre

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Re: Interview with the Texan who stopped the massacre

Postby ChrisB » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:16 pm

callmefence wrote:It's ashamed so many would worry about being sued.
Those two men don't have any coward in them. They didn't hesitate to step up and I doubt their very worried about being sued.
Good luck with finding a lawyer to do it.
Texas also has pretty good frivolous lawsuit laws.

Come on Fence, you know lawyers better than that. When have ethics ever kept a lawyer from trying to make a buck?
2 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:23 pm

ChrisB wrote:
Those two men don't have any coward in them. They didn't hesitate to step up and I doubt their very worried about being sued.

Come on Fence, you know lawyers better than that. When have ethics ever kept a lawyer from trying to make a buck?

In fact, some would jump at the chance. You don't have to live in Texas to practice law there.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
ChrisB wrote:

In fact, some would jump at the chance. You don't have to live in Texas to practice law there.

In Texas you lose , you pay both sides...
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:58 pm

Yes, good luck with that........
as of 2007:
SECTION 4. Section 83.001, Civil Practice and Remedies
Code, is amended to read as follows:
Sec. 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY [AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE]. A defendant who uses force or deadly force
that is justified under Chapter 9 [Section 9.32], Penal Code, is immune
from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from
the defendant's use of
force or deadly force, as applicable

(Ch 9 [section 9.32] refers to the qualiers of Texas "castle Law in defense of another person--see Slick's previous post)
Can he still be sued? Of course, as that is a constitutional right but it will never make it into court. 1st judge it goes to will throw it out based on the above. Won't even have to defend himself, the state will do that for him in defense of their own legislation.

And the Texas Attorney General has already spoke his mind on the shooting and the defense.
https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/arc ... -shootings
Last edited by greybeard on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:08 pm

greybeard wrote:Yes, good luck with that........
as of 2007:
SECTION 4. Section 83.001, Civil Practice and Remedies
Code, is amended to read as follows:
Sec. 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY [AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE]. A defendant who uses force or deadly force
that is justified under Chapter 9 [Section 9.32], Penal Code, is immune
from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from
the defendant's use of
force or deadly force, as applicable

(Ch 9 [section 9.32] refers to the qualiers of Texas "castle Law in defense of another person--see Slick's previous post)
Can he still be sued? Of course, as that is a constitutional right but it will never make it into court. 1st judge it goes to will throw it out based on the above. Won't even have to defend himself, the state will do that for him in defense of their own legislation.

Assuming this use of force falls within those legal limits. It this point, it appears it might.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:10 pm

See my last line above. (a late edit)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:32 pm

ChrisB wrote:

This jughead would represent Charles Manson, if there's a buck to be made... Folks in Huntsville will be glad to ship him to y'all https://www.google.com/search?q=bruce+g ... VC_4Wwt7BM:
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:20 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Might not have been a smart thing giving an interview. His actions might promt some form of litigation. I doubt it but it could happen. More likely a civil case if the shooter's family sees a way to collect on it. I doubt any legal counsel would have supported him giving an interview.

This would be extremely difficult to do in Texas. While the shooter never entered the home or property of the "hero" who intervened... Texas does have the castle law. Someone trying to throw a civil suit on a Texan who saved lives by taking someone else's, is untouchable, so to speak.

Yes. Texas would be a difficult venue for a civil case. But that does not influence the potential of a civil suit if someone decides to pursue it and even if the outcome is crystal clear, there is a cost associated with legal services. The use of lethal force does not come without consequences. The author of Use of Lethal Force in the State of Montana includes a caution in his book, always assume every case where lethal force is used will result in litigation if not in criminal court, in civil court. Therefore, he advises that a public statement not be given without legal representation. I do believe this Hero is enjoying the attention. Good for him, one of life's pleasures.

Edited to add: Castle law would not be applicable in this case.

In Indiana, a third party is awarded a tag for a violent aggressor. In short, if I were to witness you threatening someone, let alone shooting up a church, I am well within my rights to use force. This is a lawsuit happy country, and it makes me sick. That man did something heroic.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:29 am

Black gun enthusiast get ready.

Sadly, U.S. Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn of Texas is one of the first Senators to surrender to Dianne Feinstein and her pals at Gun Control Inc.

In fact, Senator John Cornyn is leading the charge for a REPUBLICAN push for gun control.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:45 am

Caustic Burno wrote:Black gun enthusiast get ready.

Sadly, U.S. Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn of Texas is one of the first Senators to surrender to Dianne Feinstein and her pals at Gun Control Inc.

In fact, Senator John Cornyn is leading the charge for a REPUBLICAN push for gun control.

It's not black guns it's all guns. The politicians and anyone else with armed security want no guns in the public hands. Control the guns, control the people. I feel I need my black guns to protect myself and family from government over reach before I'd need it for self defense.
My dad told me yesterday he's to old to fight anymore legal battles, but he'd still fight for this country. He's 91 years old and still willing to fight for the US of A. He surprised me and I was a little taken back.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:49 am

Fence we both know there are scum bag lawyers under every turd just hoping they get a chance to sue this man. They may not get all they want but they know they'll usually get something and that's all that matters to them. They never worry about tomorrow.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:58 am

True Grit Farms wrote:

It's not black guns it's all guns. The politicians and anyone else with armed security want no guns in the public hands. Control the guns, control the people. I feel I need my black guns to protect myself and family from government over reach before I'd need it for self defense.
My dad told me yesterday he's to old to fight anymore legal battles, but he'd still fight for this country. He's 91 years old and still willing to fight for the US of A. He surprised me and I was a little taken back.

The problem is your 1 in a 100K.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:31 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

What's that supposed to mean? Those aren't that bad of odds considering what your fighting for. We're not all going to lay down and play pansy at this stage of our lives.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:37 am

as many as say they will likely wont..

but there are so many that only a portion needs to...

it wont be good in the unlikely event ever happens
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:24 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:It's not black guns it's all guns. The politicians and anyone else with armed security want no guns in the public hands. Control the guns, control the people. I feel I need my black guns to protect myself and family from government over reach before I'd need it for self defense.

What's that supposed to mean? Those aren't that bad of odds considering what your fighting for. We're not all going to lay down and play pansy at this stage of our lives.

It's not you gentleman that the anti gun folks are concerned with. They know they will NEVER take your guns or change your line of thought. This is a slow, steady play. They know they will win over time by changing thought over generations; sadly it works. They could never enforce or make a direct gun grab because this would unite too many to a common cause and even sway the fenceriders...so you pervert, redefine, and passively attack the 2nd Amendment, so that younger generations don't fully grasp it's importance. Then, you have govt sponsored voluntary gun collections (funded with taxpayer dollars), limited ammo availability, etc etc.. They know they won't get your guns from you or me, they're banking on or grandkids turning them in willfully, especially if we see a major economic event...trade those guns for bread and cheese....
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Return to “Coffee Shop”