Thanksgiving Meal

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Thanksgiving Meal

Postby wacocowboy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:16 pm

With Thanksgiving next week I was curious how do most people cook their Turkey? I love it fried and smoked is good too but don’t care for that crap that comes out of the oven.

What sides do you like? I love the green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, and deviled eggs. Not a fan of stuffing, cranberry, or that gravy.

Got to love those good yeast rolls with butter and honey.

What is the best pie to finish it off? Pecan, coconut cream, banana cream, key lime, butterscotch, buttermilk or lemon meringue are my favorite but I will eat sweet potato or pumpkin pie with whip cream.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Thanksgiving Meal

Postby NolanCountyAG » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:24 pm

My grandma makes me my own tray of stuffing. Love that stuff. As for pie, I go with chocolate or coconut
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:41 am

Like the ham better...Sides,,sweet tater casserole,Mac and cheese,deviled eggs, corn.. Pecan pie for sure... And pumpkin if there's room left for it...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:44 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:Like the ham better...Sides,,sweet tater casserole,Mac and cheese,deviled eggs, corn.. Pecan pie for sure... And pumpkin if there's room left for it...

Great minds think alike you forgot the armadillo eggs along with the stuffed jalapeños, that might be a Texas thing.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:28 am

Do they grow enough turkeys for every family to get one?

Ken
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:36 am

A green bean casserole is kind of a family tradition here. Having left over turkey stuffing with gravy the next day is
one of the best things ever, and anyone that has ever served dressing with raisins in it needs to be flogged.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:00 am

wbvs58 wrote:Do they grow enough turkeys for every family to get one?
Ken

Worthington, Mn is called the Turkey Capital of the world and Minnesota is known as the Land of 10,000 Lakes
(and 45 million turkeys) :) ranks #1 in the nation in turkey production and processing.

Hormel reported Jennie-O Turkey its' most profitable division with an operating profit of over $4 per bird.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:13 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:Like the ham better...Sides,,sweet tater casserole,Mac and cheese,deviled eggs, corn.. Pecan pie for sure... And pumpkin if there's room left for it...

Great minds think alike you forgot the armadillo eggs along with the stuffed jalapeños, that might be a Texas thing.

No doubt, whats armadillo eggs ?? Just looked it up,, sounds like some good eating...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:21 am

Not big on store bought turkey, rather have ham or a smoked venison ham. This year we're having smoked prime rib of beef. Sweet tater casserole with melted marshmallows on top is the vegetable of choice here. Dessert is what makes Thanksgiving for me, a Kahlua chocolate chip pudding cake is #1, and pumpkin pie a close second.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:26 am

Caustic Burno wrote:

X3.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:41 am

My wife cooks a amazing turkey. Usually two big ones. Also the stuffing with fresh gulf oyster's is a family tradition.
1 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:27 am

Son of Butch wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:Do they grow enough turkeys for every family to get one?
Ken

Worthington, Mn is called the Turkey Capital of the world and Minnesota is known as the Land of 10,000 Lakes
(and 45 million turkeys) :) ranks #1 in the nation in turkey production and processing.

Hormel reported Jennie-O Turkey its' most profitable division with an operating profit of over $4 per bird.

As a youngster I lived just West of Worthington, and went to school there. They had an annual turkey parade. Farmers had hundreds of birds that they somehow got to go down the streets. As youngsters would, we got pea shooters and would do everything we could to get the birds to revolt!

Last time I was there I never saw the billboard outside of town notifying they were the turkey capital, so I thought maybe someplace outdid them.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:23 am

Turkey is not served here as the wife's chicken and dressing remains number one. We will also serve ham. Funny, but faux mashed potatoes are requested by more than half this year and the rest is whatever people bring in.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Txpiney
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Txpiney » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:39 am

All of the above, except I've also got to have a big pot of mustard greens with ham hocks.mmmmm good
1 x

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:48 am

One deep fried turkey... one conventional turkey... All the fixen's (love me some giblet gravy)!! And we always have my wife's homemade Banana Pudding (still warm from the oven)!
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

Return to “Coffee Shop”