Thanksgiving Meal

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Thanksgiving Meal

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:51 am

Not much on an old dry turkey. We usually have roast, and country ham. Dressing looked forward to however.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:29 am

TN Cattle Man wrote:One deep fried turkey... one conventional turkey... All the fixen's (love me some giblet gravy)!! And we always have my wife's homemade Banana Pudding (still warm from the oven)!
love banana pudding hot or cold,,even in between... Grandma use to put pineapples in it too ,at times... Love fruit salad too with pecans...
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:40 am

We don't make turkey anymore. Nobody really likes it and once we realized they were just eating it for tradition we went to just making a ham. Dressing for sure. Whatever else is there will be fine. My wife makes a good pumpkin pie cheesecake I look forward to every year.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:50 am

We brine the turkey (Alton Browns Brine) for about 12 hours and then throw her on the smoker. It turns out so yummy whether you cook it in the oven or smoke it but we love our smoker.

Pecan Pie, green bean casserole, REAL Cranberry sauce, a cornbread corn casserole, 10 containers of coolwhip (7 for pre-gaming, ha!), and deviled eggs (jalapeno)
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:53 am

I really don't know.

I've been in Little Rock now for a week and most likely will be putting my twin brother into hospice care in the next 24 hrs. It's been a long fight, and he's tired, really tired.
2 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:52 pm

Growing up, we usually had, country ham, turkey, dressing made from cornbread, biscuits, turkey broth, with gravy, mashed potatoes, oyster casserole, broccoli casserole. For dessert fruit salad( fruit cocktail mixed with whipped cream, egg white dressing topped with marshmallows, pumpkin and or pecan pie.
Nowadays, we will have some version of those things not all of them as our family gatherings are smaller. Sometimes we go to friends homes for Thanksgiving meal, still great food and fellowship.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:57 pm

greybeard wrote:I really don't know.

I've been in Little Rock now for a week and most likely will be putting my twin brother into hospice care in the next 24 hrs. It's been a long fight, and he's tired, really tired.

Hate to hear that GB been down that road. Prayers to bring your family peace and comfort.
1 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:49 pm

Hate to hear that, I can't imagine, you have our thoughts and prayers.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:58 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:We brine the turkey (Alton Browns Brine) for about 12 hours and then throw her on the smoker. It turns out so yummy whether you cook it in the oven or smoke it but we love our smoker.

Pecan Pie, green bean casserole, REAL Cranberry sauce, a cornbread corn casserole, 10 containers of coolwhip (7 for pre-gaming, ha!), and deviled eggs (jalapeno)

That sounds good,,every thanksgiving the last few years I think that I'll never be able to eat another meal....
0 x

ropinranger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ropinranger » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:07 pm

We've been using the "oil less fryer" for the last few years, after a side by side taste test with a peanut oil fried turkey in which the oil less one tasted just as good, if not better, and was more moist throughout. We inject the turkey the night before, season it, and then put it in the oil less fryer, with mesquite wood chips, and we have yet to have any areas of the turkey that weren't moist, and tasty.

For the rest of the meal, it's usually dressing, mashed potatoes with giblet gravy, cast iron skillet cornbread, english pea salad, deviled eggs, sweet potatoes, chocolate meringue pie, pecan pie, fruit salad, and coconut meringue pie...
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:15 pm

Sorry to hear that...God bless him...
0 x

wlamarparmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wlamarparmer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:27 pm

Enjoy the traditional turkey feast, this year only wife and I so gonna let someone else cook. Growing up in 50's SE Ala, deer and turkeys hunted to extension (reintroduced early '60's). Thanksgiving was a family hunt and cookout. All men and boys went small game hunting in morning. come in compare what game gotten then split up go for other game in afternoon. Nighttime cook in cast iron wash pot around campfire usually squirrel, rabbit, young raccoon, quail, usually some catfish. A chicken or two if hunting not good. Always hush puppies and ladies did other sides. Never knew turkey/dressing as Thanksgiving tradition until I left home.
W. Lamar Parmer, DVM
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:30 pm

Sorry to hear that. We will be praying for you and your family during this difficult time.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:36 pm

wlamarparmer wrote:Enjoy the traditional turkey feast, this year only wife and I so gonna let someone else cook. Growing up in 50's SE Ala, deer and turkeys hunted to extension (reintroduced early '60's). Thanksgiving was a family hunt and cookout. All men and boys went small game hunting in morning. come in compare what game gotten then split up go for other game in afternoon. Nighttime cook in cast iron wash pot around campfire usually squirrel, rabbit, young raccoon, quail, usually some catfish. A chicken or two if hunting not good. Always hush puppies and ladies did other sides. Never knew turkey/dressing as Thanksgiving tradition until I left home.
W. Lamar Parmer, DVM
my ex is a vet from GA...her parents were originally from Blakely....
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:08 pm

Sorry about that GB. I hope that things go as peacefully as possible, my thoughts are with you.

Ken
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”