Why I kill every Coyote

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Why I kill every Coyote

Postby BK9954 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:50 am

Got woken up this morning by the kids screaming about a coyote behind the house. I look out and one is chasing 4 calves ranging from 2 weeks to 3 months old. All the cows, alot of brahman blood, standing there watching. Maybe they're desensitize because I have two dogs, or see coyotes all the time. This one was bigger and darker then normal, maybe a dog mix, don't know. I yelled and he left, then came right back and started stalking my guinea fowl. Either way shot him at 50 yards, lots of blood but the trail went cold, I am assuming he won't be back. My buddy saw a coyote trailing the cows while he was bow hunting my place, I didn't think much of it. Now I have more concern. Our place is thick with them, sometimes 300 yards behind the house, packs howling and yipping at night. Anyone here trap them?
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Old Hat
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:21 pm
Location: SE TX

Re: Why I kill every Coyote

Postby Old Hat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:35 am

I've never tried trapping them but do put lead in them every chance I get!
0 x

User avatar
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy
Posts: 14246
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Why I kill every Coyote

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:13 am

They come out on the edge of the fields when I am mowing. Rats, mice, and rabbits run out and they come out and pounce. When I get to their side of the pasture they go back to the fence.

I’ve never seen one attack calves. They absolutely will take goats and chickens.

There are coydog hibrids. I hear they are terrible. I’ve never seen them.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21352
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Why I kill every Coyote

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:17 am

backhoeboogie wrote:They come out on the edge of the fields when I am mowing. Rats, mice, and rabbits run out and they come out and pounce. When I get to their side of the pasture they go back to the fence.

I’ve never seen one attack calves. They absolutely will take goats and chickens.

There are coydog hibrids. I hear they are terrible. I’ve never seen them.




I am still not sure about this one.
Image
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY

Re: Why I kill every Coyote

Postby Ky hills » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:32 am

BK9954 wrote:Got woken up this morning by the kids screaming about a coyote behind the house. I look out and one is chasing 4 calves ranging from 2 weeks to 3 months old. All the cows, alot of brahman blood, standing there watching. Maybe they're desensitize because I have two dogs, or see coyotes all the time. This one was bigger and darker then normal, maybe a dog mix, don't know. I yelled and he left, then came right back and started stalking my guinea fowl. Either way shot him at 50 yards, lots of blood but the trail went cold, I am assuming he won't be back. My buddy saw a coyote trailing the cows while he was bow hunting my place, I didn't think much of it. Now I have more concern. Our place is thick with them, sometimes 300 yards behind the house, packs howling and yipping at night. Anyone here trap them?


That sounds almost identical to how it is here. Back when I raised dairy calves, had a group of 4-6 month old calves that got spooked over any little thing, one night, they went through 2 fences. Not long after that a farm hand and I were trying to get them up and saw 2 coyotes stalking around them. Another time was penning the sheep up for the night, and one followed them up, and was belligerent, I was afraid if I left to go get my gun it would get a lamb. He literally was so focused on the sheep that he would not fun off, I was hollering and trying to scare him off, 2-3 times he would start to run but then turn and come right back, finally thought to throw rocks at him. He finally left, but I couldn't believe how determined he was. Haven't lost any calves to them for a few years, but last year had a probably 3 month old calf with a gash behind it front leg.
No idea if it could be due to coyotes bothering them or not, but have had several cows come up crippling over the summer, and now a calf. Not uncommon to have 1 cow come up lame a year, with the hills rocks and mud, but this year it's been 5 cows and currently a calf is limping. One morning found 2 cows limping. For a while during the summer there was black bear activity in the pasture where the cows were. Previously the only bear signs had been in a hayfield with no cattle.
0 x

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8479
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Why I kill every Coyote

Postby slick4591 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:39 am

I had to lock up all the chicken because of them. I was losing one a day for a while. Never could get out there in time to shoot one.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6366
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Why I kill every Coyote

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:42 am

I would be selling some cows in the near future.

The fact that you yelled and it stopped then came back makes me believe its more dog than coyote.
3 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6264
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Klickitat County Washington

Re: Why I kill every Coyote

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:08 pm

I had one a couple years ago trying to get a new born calf. The cow would run it off and go back to the calf. And the coyote came right back. It saw me and trotted off a bit. I ran and got a gun. When I came back it was there trying to get to that calf. This time the dog spotted it and took off after it. As soon as the dog came back so did the coyote. This time I got a clear shot. It was definitely pure coyote. I think it was hungrier than it as scared.

I have trapped lots of coyotes back when the fur was worth money. If you want PM and I will answer any coyote trapping questions.
0 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12344
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Why I kill every Coyote

Postby Nesikep » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:43 pm

other than the occasional hen.. I don't have much problem with them.. they have been quite vocal these past few weeks, but they seem to never bother the cows... I shoot the occasional one that gets too bold and comes snooping in the daytime.
1 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 876
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Why I kill every Coyote

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:55 pm

I trap, used to anyway, quite a bit. Snares are the most effective, but if they'll catch a coyote, they'll catch your dogs. Same goes for any good K9 set. They are smarter than you think, and have a nose better than a deer.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Why I kill every Coyote

Postby BK9954 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:I trap, used to anyway, quite a bit. Snares are the most effective, but if they'll catch a coyote, they'll catch your dogs. Same goes for any good K9 set. They are smarter than you think, and have a nose better than a deer.

I have snares and the clam shell foot traps, just never got around to using them, what kind of bait?
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6264
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Klickitat County Washington

Re: Why I kill every Coyote

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:41 pm

Pretty much any kind of meat can work for bait. Slightly tainted but not rotten. Rotten they want to roll on it springing the trap but not stepping in it. With just bait alone you will need to be real close to their travel path. There are scants made to attract them to the area of the set. Bait is just for the final step or three. I had good luck with 1/3 blue cheese, 1/3 sardines. and 1/3 lard blended together. But I have used all kinds of things. Ones that would seem somewhat normal like beaver, muskrat, deer, beef, horse, and chunks of other coyotes. Cat works pretty good. And some off the wall things which worked in the right places like small rock crabs. The primary thing is location, location, location.
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21352
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Why I kill every Coyote

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:52 pm

Dave wrote:Pretty much any kind of meat can work for bait. Slightly tainted but not rotten. Rotten they want to roll on it springing the trap but not stepping in it. With just bait alone you will need to be real close to their travel path. There are scants made to attract them to the area of the set. Bait is just for the final step or three. I had good luck with 1/3 blue cheese, 1/3 sardines. and 1/3 lard blended together. But I have used all kinds of things. Ones that would seem somewhat normal like beaver, muskrat, deer, beef, horse, and chunks of other coyotes. Cat works pretty good. And some off the wall things which worked in the right places like small rock crabs. The primary thing is location, location, location.


By accident I have caught several in hog traps.
Came in to watermelon flavored corn.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

User avatar
jkwilson
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1185
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:02 am
Location: Southern Indiana

Re: Why I kill every Coyote

Postby jkwilson » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:59 pm

Dave wrote: As soon as the dog came back so did the coyote. This time I got a clear shot. It was definitely pure coyote. I think it was hungrier than it as scared.


That's the thing that makes them so dangerous. Day in, day out they'll get a rabbit, or some road kill or whatever comes along, but an old or injured animal or one dealing with hard times will become desperate and try to kill whatever it finds.

I like to make sure the coyotes in my neighborhood know there is a magic stick that means business if they show up in my pasture. May not kill them all, but I put fear into all I see. A 22-250 will reach out and put a touch on them.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Western UP, Mi

Re: Why I kill every Coyote

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:22 pm

I shoot coyotes every chance I get and have a neighbor that traps and hunts them so I never have any real problems with them.

But the real problem is the wolves UP here and you can't legally shoot them unless you want to end up in the slammer. A pack will hunt down even the biggest and meanest of cows without batting an eye. Come calving season when the cows lay down to deliver and can't really get away the wolves will come eat the hind end right off the cow without killing her first, and when they get scared or full they will leave a 1/2 dead cow to suffer.
0 x


Return to “Coffee Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 6 guests