Why I kill every Coyote

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Why I kill every Coyote

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:35 pm

BK9954 wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:I trap, used to anyway, quite a bit. Snares are the most effective, but if they'll catch a coyote, they'll catch your dogs. Same goes for any good K9 set. They are smarter than you think, and have a nose better than a deer.

I have snares and the clam shell foot traps, just never got around to using them, what kind of bait?

Depends on the time of year, conditions, type of set, etc. You won't use any bait with snares, but if you set one, you need to set 50. Cat is the best bait for pocket sets and dirt holes. Combined with a good lure and good presentation, it can be deadly. Hard frozen ground is the easy pickins around here. I like what's called a hay set.....Mound of hay out in the wide open with three well bedded footholds around the outside. One ear of corn in the hay. A little lure in front of each trap, but the mice do the rest for you. You will want your pan to be 3" offset and 8" back from the sweet spot. That'll be what a yote measures from his nose to his front foot. If your traps aren't clean and waxed, they will dig them up and steal your bait.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Desired results.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:58 pm

I had a young coyote sitting amongst the cows and calves early one morning last week. Neither seemed to mind the other. I was unarmed but was curious why there was no fear. It appears the coyote was there for the same reason the dog runs around through the herd, to eat some manure. For some reason they prefer young calf manure.
Coyotes have never been a problem for me but I don't have any chickens or goats. I know they can be a a problem for some. For bait, catch alive a smallish bird. Drive a stake in the ground in a good location and tie the birds leg to it. Put you a couple leg clamp traps around that buried just under the soil. There is nothing like live bait.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:36 pm

One of the snare sets I like is to find a half acre or so opening in a brushy area. Place a dead elephant in the middle of the opening. Preferably one with lots of exposed flesh. Set snares on every little trail leading into the opening. The birds will find the bait and make a lot of noise. That will draw in the coyotes. You will rarely catch one on the way in, but once they get their belly full they aren't nearly so sneak about leaving. Think of yourself. you would be hard to catch in your own house. But on Thanksgiving if someone set a set between the dinner table and the recliner ......

Oh, this set doesn't really require a dead elephant because they are hard to find. But something big enough to prevent them from dragging it off. Smaller bait should be wired down to prevent it from being hauled off. I have used 3 or 4 beavers, a road kill deer, quarters of someones dead cow. Big enough to attract the birds and enough to draw in coyotes again and again.

Make your snare loops 10 inches across and 10 inches off the ground.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks, I've been looking for a use for my dead elephants.
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:45 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:I am still not sure about this one.

Coyote structure but the ears and color aren’t right. A better picture would help.

Based on what I see I would guess it’s a hybrid. I don’t normally kill them. That’s one I would kill.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:20 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:I am still not sure about this one.

Coyote structure but the ears and color aren’t right. A better picture would help.

Based on what I see I would guess it’s a hybrid. I don’t normally kill them. That’s one I would kill.

Here you go got several in this pack ranging from grey to black.

0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:42 pm

Just recently got this young female while deer hunting. We have had trouble with them in the past it's more the black headed buzzard now that's the biggest predator here. The coyotes and bob cats are really beginning to put a dent in the turkey population here.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:56 am

FlyingLSimmentals wrote:Image

Just recently got this young female while deer hunting. We have had trouble with them in the past it's more the black headed buzzard now that's the biggest predator here. The coyotes and bob cats are really beginning to put a dent in the turkey population here.

We need to get some better barb wire in your truck. :lol: Looks like she's furred up decent for being so early.
0 x

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:44 am

Yeah, Fence that's some wire that's been in the barn now for years. Some my Grand Father or Uncle bought years ago. We've been passing on using it for a long time. I'm patching a wire here and there trying to get rid of it.
Yes, she really was a fur ball having that nice coat. Might be an early Winter.
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”