Being honest about Thanksgiving

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: Being honest about Thanksgiving

Postby slick4591 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:34 pm

The Cowboys game is airing on CBS and we have DISH TV. DISH and CBS are in a contract dispute so we can't get the game on DISH. I think my popularity might have come up a notch when I reminded everyone we have antenna service too. Looks like I'll have a few hanging around a little longer than normal. I should learn to keep my mouth sometimes. :lol:
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:35 pm

This is the first year in 20 years that I didn't cook and spent the day alone.
I bought a precooked turkey breast and sides that taste like a$$, but I have a lot to be thankful for and had several to invite me over to their home for dinner. That really made me happy know I've got good kind friends.

Happy Thanksgiving
3 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:19 pm

slick4591 wrote:The Cowboys game is airing on CBS and we have DISH TV. DISH and CBS are in a contract dispute so we can't get the game on DISH. I think my popularity might have come up a notch when I reminded everyone we have antenna service too. Looks like I'll have a few hanging around a little longer than normal. I should learn to keep my mouth sometimes. :lol:

I switched to Direct TV about a year ago. Best move I ever made. Be thankful for those around you. Loneliness is a terrible thing.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

melking
GURU
GURU

Postby melking » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:29 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to all you all! :cboy:
2 x
One thing you will never hear a southern boy say....Duct tape won't fix that, except, even duct tape can't fix stupid. It can, however, muffle it.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:40 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
There should be a law against mentally ill people buying firearms.

;-)

Anybody in town on black Friday should be considered mentally ill...

It only gets worse, I have to go back to Macon again tomorrow, Academy isn't open today. Dicks Sporting Goods has 22 long rifle ammo on sale, 1000 rounds for $40. dollars starting at 6 tonight. And Mossberg 12 ga pump gun for $180. There's lots of good deals on ammo this Black Friday.
Ron, I've had to pass 3 different mental evaluations and assessments for different things in my life, and faked my way through everyone so far. It just goes to show, your not as safe as you think you are.
:tiphat:

You are a good man Charlie Brown, there is
just no market for good men! Have a great Thanksgiving. I hope your dad is there. I miss my Dad and Mom more on Thanksgiving than any other day of the year.

Having said that, I still think you are crazy. Lol
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:25 pm

3waycross wrote:
slick4591 wrote:The Cowboys game is airing on CBS and we have DISH TV. DISH and CBS are in a contract dispute so we can't get the game on DISH. I think my popularity might have come up a notch when I reminded everyone we have antenna service too. Looks like I'll have a few hanging around a little longer than normal. I should learn to keep my mouth sometimes. :lol:

I switched to Direct TV about a year ago. Best move I ever made. Be thankful for those around you. Loneliness is a terrible thing.

Oh, I'm very thankful. Spent over 10 years single and had some very lonely times. I like what I have now much better.
2 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:38 pm

Bigfoot wrote:In theory, it's a great holiday, but my family is so jacked up, I just can't enjoy it. I know that sounds petty. I know that sounds immature. Probably a good example of seeing the speck in someone else's eye, and missing the board in my own.

Got a whole generation here in their early twenties. Not taking any classes, and not working anywhere. Just sit in the house all day everyday. I guy here looks to be about 25. He's dating my niece. Seating is at a prime, and his ignorant butt is laying on the couch staring at his phone. Said he had his rifle in the truck, did I mind if he went hunting later?-------Yeah I do.

We got pathological liars, drunks, and thieves. Somebody normally ask to borrow some money. Maybe we can skip that this year. I intentionally left a gate open this morning, but my heifers hadn't found it yet. When they do, that should buy me hour and half of freedom.

How's yaws day going?

Your heifers find that gate?
2 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Last night I got to thinking about what I am thankful for.
First thing that came to my mind is that I am not in second grade and don't have to color a stupid turkey and leaves.
I messed up coloring my leaves and when the teacher saw it she slapped the daylights out of me.
Freedom is a wonderful thing. :banana: :clap: :banana: :clap:

I wish the best to all and especially to little kids.
3 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:08 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:In theory, it's a great holiday, but my family is so jacked up, I just can't enjoy it. I know that sounds petty. I know that sounds immature. Probably a good example of seeing the speck in someone else's eye, and missing the board in my own.

Got a whole generation here in their early twenties. Not taking any classes, and not working anywhere. Just sit in the house all day everyday. I guy here looks to be about 25. He's dating my niece. Seating is at a prime, and his ignorant butt is laying on the couch staring at his phone. Said he had his rifle in the truck, did I mind if he went hunting later?-------Yeah I do.

We got pathological liars, drunks, and thieves. Somebody normally ask to borrow some money. Maybe we can skip that this year. I intentionally left a gate open this morning, but my heifers hadn't found it yet. When they do, that should buy me hour and half of freedom.

How's yaws day going?

Your heifers find that gate?

Never did.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Ryder wrote:Last night I got to thinking about what I am thankful for.
First thing that came to my mind is that I am not in second grade and don't have to color a stupid turkey and leaves.
I messed up coloring my leaves and when the teacher saw it she slapped the daylights out of me.
Freedom is a wonderful thing. :banana: :clap: :banana: :clap:

I wish the best to all and especially to little kids.

LMAO. That took some thought.
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:20 pm

Got up this morning, cool, sunshining and a good south breeze. Fed the heifers and show steers, then got the dog and the gun and drove to where some birds were a month ago. Dog first pointed a group of doves feeding in the rose bushes. Then ended up finding a covey of 8. After hunting the singles and shooting one we headed home.
Me and Dad fried a turkey, and the son in laws helped mom set up all of the tables and chairs. Ate the meal, fed again, and now I'm sitting here type this.
The Lord has blessed me more than I could ever write in a thousand books.
2 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:32 pm

So very thankful this year! Husband is making remarkable progress after his surgery ("remarkable" is subjective; up to 2 years full recovery). Had a wonderful time with my family - no drama, at least not that I was aware of. Thankful my parents are still doing well in their 80's. Turkey & ham were horrible but the sides & dessert, bring 'em on! And I'm thankful my husband only slightly rolled his eyes when I rescued yet another kitten someone had dumped near the ranch, adding to the 20+ we already have at the barn. But zero rats & none of the tractors, machinery or implements have been chewed to pieces/destroyed so it's justified, right?

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Going ok, all things considered, except I pulled/hurt something in my lower back taking a ham out of the oven this morning, and it's gotten progressively worse over the day. Dunno how/why..just twisted the wrong way I guess--it was a pretty small ham too. Can barely walk up the steps now

Thanksgiving is a 4 day eating event here.
Ate too much at my sister's place today..stayed too late last night at my other sister's playing a domino game called Mexican Train. Mexican food supper always precedes Thanksgiving Day in my family--tomorrow will be BBQ Friday, and Saturday is pot luck leftovers day.

Missed my brother of course, but we got the family's 1st great grandchild same day as his funeral. One goes....one will come to take his place is what my grandmother always said.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:15 pm

Drove 200 miles to western Ky, to be with my only living aunt and uncle, their daughter in law and granddaughter. Aunt and uncle are 89, and 90, and have always been extremely active and independent until the last couple years. They are currently in an assisted living home, and uncle has caretakers with him and will soon be too dependent to be at that place. It is heartbreaking to see them so feeble and frail. Uncle didn't even hardly know me, and didn't recognize my wife.
We had a nice dinner and visited a while, then 200 miles back home. Most of the way back, I thought about how they had worked to be in a very well off position, but now you would never know it unless factoring in the care facility that they are in. Makes me realize how blessed we are just to be up and able to get around, and the importance of making the most of our time while we can.
2 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:05 am

Things like this make me count my blessings. My kids are in high school and college, and they haven’t given me a negative item to worry about in years, and then it didn’t amount to a hill of beans. My daughter hadn’t went boy crazy yet, so no weird boys to bring around. I am truly thankful.
1 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”