Reasonable time to procure cattle

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Reasonable time to procure cattle

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:18 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Luckily our cattle are in a different pasture and did not get mixed.

Guess I'm just kind of down on people as a whole. My neighbors in town block my drive way, park in the yard, barking dogs, then this... it seen like people as a whole are just lazy or stupid.

Many people, these days, are incredibly inconsiderate and have no manners. Their attitude is one of being all about themselves.

That's a better way to describe it.

I actually have family that won't talk to us right now because they were asked not to bring their dog in to a family owned home. :???: I was was shocked that had to be said out loud... much less that it would cause issues.

My battle is a lot of people say... don't worry about that stuff... it's not a big deal... etc... but at what point are you just as bad for allowing it and not speaking up?
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

melking
GURU
GURU

Postby melking » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:35 pm

Brute 23 wrote:19th. Replied 4 days later via text.

I happen to know the guy is not out of town but even so, I would think a person would call and say... I'm out of town, as soon as Im back I will be there.

I know this won't be popular, but as far as I am concerned that is 2 days past a trip to the market.
0 x
One thing you will never hear a southern boy say....Duct tape won't fix that, except, even duct tape can't fix stupid. It can, however, muffle it.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:05 pm

melking wrote:

I happen to know the guy is not out of town but even so, I would think a person would call and say... I'm out of town, as soon as Im back I will be there.

I know this won't be popular, but as far as I am concerned that is 2 days past a trip to the market.

In Texas that’s a jail term for rustling.
If the owner doesn’t get it only the Sheriff can remove an estray.
Texas has some very strict estray laws and remedies.
0 x

hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU

Postby hillbilly beef man » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:52 pm

I would say a couple of days weather permitting. I did keep a couple of my neighbors three weeks one winter till the snow melted enough to get a truck to my pens.
1 x
There is no education in the second kick of a mule.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:08 pm

A guy down the road had a similar problem with a neighbor. He had the neighbor's scrub bull get into his place. He caught it in his corral and called the neighbor. After about a week he called and told the neighbor that if he wasn't there in about 30 minutes that he would open the gate and send the bull down the road. It took the neighbor about 15 minutes to show up with a trailer.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Dave wrote:A guy down the road had a similar problem with a neighbor. He had the neighbor's scrub bull get into his place. He caught it in his corral and called the neighbor. After about a week he called and told the neighbor that if he wasn't there in about 30 minutes that he would open the gate and send the bull down the road. It took the neighbor about 15 minutes to show up with a trailer.

Shame it took threatening to put em in gear...those type need cattle like a Eskimo needs ice water....
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:41 pm

I got a plan for next time. We got another lazy neighbor in the NE corner. Next time one of the neighbors' cows gets in our place I'm going to run them in to the other neighbors place and let them have a contest to see who's the laziest.
3 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:44 pm

Guess I'm lucky because I've never gone more than a few hours without a neighbor showing up to retrieve usually their bull. The exception was a couple horses, had no idea who they belonged to and the owner was at a funeral but still got in touch & picked them up that night. A friend of mine lives in OK but has leased land within a few miles, his brother lives relatively close. One of his steers ended up near the ranch so I just put him in with my heifers, told him to pick him up whenever it was convenient. His brother was here within 30 minutes to help me move the portable corral, owner/friend was here in less than 2 hours.

Brute, I feel for you. And not just about the inconsiderate neighbor!
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:49 pm

I'm a pushover with my neighbors. Whatever it is I consider it my problem to resolve... But I've been blessed with neighbors that feel the same way. I think if I were feeling like I was being taken advantage of I might ask/tell them that I'll haul them back to them and charge enough that it doesn't happen again.
0 x

rnh2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rnh2 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:43 pm

Old gentleman I know got tired of his neighbors bull coming to visit so he hauled it to the sale barn. Then he told the neighbor what he had done and that the check was in the mail. The neighbor took it well saying he needed a new bull anyway.
0 x
If you're too dumb to be anything else you can be a expert

melking
GURU
GURU

Postby melking » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:39 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
melking wrote:

In Texas that’s a jail term for rustling.
If the owner doesn’t get it only the Sheriff can remove an estray.
Texas has some very strict estray laws and remedies.

Probably the same here in Florida, I just deal with this scenario on a regular basis and it goads me.
0 x
One thing you will never hear a southern boy say....Duct tape won't fix that, except, even duct tape can't fix stupid. It can, however, muffle it.

Cucumber35
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Cucumber35 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 pm

A friend of mine with a dairy had the neighbors ugly mutt of a beef bull show up in his dry cow lot one day. Stopped down where he thought it might have came from and talked to the neighbors wife who confirmed it was most likely thiers. Said husband would be there to get it the next day, think it ended up being three days later or more when they finally came and got it. A couple weeks later it was back again, same story, will be there in the morning. No apology or anything either time. Another 3-4 days go by and my buddy was tired of feeding it, got it loaded finally (Crazy SOB) and hauled it down to the neighbors and dropped it in their corral (no one home). Two days later it was back a third time, this time in a different lot with some of his show heifers. Finally got the Crazy thing loaded up again, except this time it went the other way at the end of the lane and to the sale barn. He held on to the check for awhile before cashing it but never heard a word about it.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Did they come get it yet brute?
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:54 am

It's been over a week since I have heard from the guy, again. He was suppose to check his cattle and let me know if he got them all back. Last he said he thought he was missing 6 or 7 still but was not sure.

I have been tied up at work the past couple weeks but hopefully this weekend I'll get back over there to check around the tanks for tracks and poop.

What worries me is there was yearling bulls and heifers with the cows. I dont need any maverick steers running around on this place.

I guess I'm about to have to get nasty. We turn the cattle back in to the pasture where his got in at after deer season. I want to be 100% sure his are out before we turn ours back in so if we wants to come in and play cowboy ours are no where near that mess.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:47 pm

To follow up on this I never heard a word back from the guy. I finally ran in to him in town a couple days ago and asked him if he had all his cattle back.

He said he had not been back over there to check and that they had his brand on them so he was not worried about it. :shock: He asked if I had seen any more.

I told him... naw, they either made it to the highway or the neighbors by now.

He looked at me funny.

I told him we have fence down between us and the neighbor in the back. We are planning on rebuilding it after deer season.

He said... well y'all have cross fences between there don't y'all.

I replied... Yes, several. We have them all opened up from the highway to the back for deer season. We closed them up when we first saw the cattle but after 2 weeks we opened them back up. We figured since you weren't worried about them neither should we. :)

He looked at me... I looked at him... and he walked off.
5 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”