Smart TV

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Smart TV

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:27 pm

I know, but that is our fault for voting those people in that give them that money. Don't blame the companies for taking advantage of that. I feel the same way about illegals. We elect the people that allow that stuff to go on, don't be mad at the illegal for taking advantage of it.

Prior to 2015 there was no regulation and we survived. Have faith in the market to fix itself with out govt intervention. :D
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:29 pm

Well I have read up on it. I dont know what's gonna happen but I do know that if prices get crazy or if I have to buy certain packages to use the net the I'll just quit using it. Same as I did cable
2 x

melking
GURU
GURU

Postby melking » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:51 pm

I like being able to throw things from my computer up onto my "big screen" I watch some youtube blacksmith videos and the like and it is good to have them bigger.
0 x
One thing you will never hear a southern boy say....Duct tape won't fix that, except, even duct tape can't fix stupid. It can, however, muffle it.

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:28 am

bball wrote:One more thing to consider Brute: AT&T, Verizon and several other providers accepted over 1.5 billion in govt dollars to help create 'their' infrastructure to provide services to rural areas.. we know where that govt money came from don't we.

Yet here I sit...

About forty miles from not one but three good sized metropolitan areas in three differennt directions....using my phone with two bars ...because we do not have reliable internet in the house
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SmokinM » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:07 pm

They will fix this just like they did healthcare. :bang: :bang: :bang: They gave the insurance companies a monopoly on that by eliminating an open market. Don't know why they call it a marketplace when you can only buy from one provider. They have a reason they want more control over the internet and companies to run it. They have your best interest at heart ask any Indian.

I hear you Pdfangus I sit 500' from a tower with one bar on my phone. 10 minutes to Richmond and right off the main drag and it will take five minutes for this to post.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:18 pm

Voted to undo 3-2. Sorry , no link.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SmokinM » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:36 pm

Yep it's done, welcome to the reservation folks. Your provider now controls what you see and how fast you see it.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:13 pm

You don't think this will increase the competition? Guy sent me a link to another programming option today called MyLifeTV. I'm thinking the market will see an increase in this kind of programming options.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:36 pm

slick4591 wrote:You don't think this will increase the competition? Guy sent me a link to another programming option today called MyLifeTV. I'm thinking the market will see an increase in this kind of programming options.

I doubt it now. Just envision what car racing would be like if you gave Dale Earnhardt Jr. control over the accelerators of all his competitors.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Carpenter2n
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Carpenter2n » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:50 am

I don't know, seems like most of the stuff the opponents of repeal are worried about, is still illegal under other existing laws.....

http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/14/msnbc-anchor-loses-net-neutrality-debate-with-former-fcc-chairman-video/
0 x
I started out an expert then spent the rest of my life learning all the things I didn't know....

Breathing is highly underrated!

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:32 am

Carpenter2n wrote:I don't know, seems like most of the stuff the opponents of repeal are worried about, is still illegal under other existing laws.....

http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/14/msnbc-anchor-loses-net-neutrality-debate-with-former-fcc-chairman-video/

I don't know either but if we are already protected then why all the fuss over getting rid of this added protection?

As to the link showing the MSNBC anchor losing the debate I have to wonder whether he lost the debate or did he simply accomplish his objective? Afterall, MSNBC is owned by Comcast which is one of the main beneficiaries of the removal of net neutrality. Of course some will say MSNBC is a completely neutral news agency and would never put out fake news or try and rig elections nor would they ever do anything that would give them an unfair advantage delivering their message especially if it kept competition out. But like I say, I don't know and only time will tell.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Carpenter2n
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Carpenter2n » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:43 pm

I too am suspicious of agendas...only on both sides of the equation.

I confess I've never watched MSNBC, but they seem quite proud about their leftist proclivities.
(disclosure: I don't actually have broadcast or cable television service. Internet only)

I think the primary concern amongst [non corporate] supporters of repeal has to do with innovation and capitalization within the industry and the effect the excessive burden the new regulations have had on potential competition. They were trying to regulate a problem and that didn't actually exist but (perhaps unintended) threw up all kinds of barriers to innovation and competition. We haven't seen any new providers on the horizon in the past 3 years. For many consumers (maybe most?) prices have gone up, speeds have slowed or remained stagnant, and throttling has become the norm. As cited in the article above, the kind of site and content blocking they're getting hysterical about is still illegal. But at the same time, does anyone believe that Google, for example (an opponent of repeal) doesn't already filter and block content on their sites according to their own interests? The repeal of existing regulations doesn't preclude regulations in the future that are less convoluted but more market and consumer driven. :2cents:
0 x
I started out an expert then spent the rest of my life learning all the things I didn't know....

Breathing is highly underrated!

Return to “Coffee Shop”