Smart TV

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Smart TV

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:09 pm

ga.prime wrote:There's a device which works in conjunction with your laptop that will allow you to watch anything you can pull up on your laptop on your tv. It's perfectly legal. No reason it wouldn't be. My son gave me one two or three years ago and showed me how it worked and I haven't used it since.

The really simple version of that is an HDMI cable.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:16 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
ga.prime wrote:There's a device which works in conjunction with your laptop that will allow you to watch anything you can pull up on your laptop on your tv. It's perfectly legal. No reason it wouldn't be. My son gave me one two or three years ago and showed me how it worked and I haven't used it since.

Probably talking about one of those illegal sites you can go too,but it's recommended you have a vpn and again it's illegal
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:23 pm

Cross-7 wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:

Probably talking about one of those illegal sites you can go too,but it's recommended you have a vpn and again it's illegal

No, I'm talking about what Farm Fence said or something like it that is wireless. Why would it be illegal to look at something on your tv that you can see on your laptop?
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:24 pm

It's a service you subscribe to that illegally broadcast everything.
I assume they intercept the satellite signal and broadcast for a fee.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:28 pm

Cross-7 wrote:It's a service you subscribe to that illegally broadcast everything.
I assume they intercept the satellite signal and broadcast for a fee.

I don't know anything about that. I'm only talking about things you can normally watch on your laptop whether free or through a subscription.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:16 pm

Being deprived of most pay channels, or just having a antenna for so long, Netflix is great. There are so many series we did not get to see that have hundreds of episodes and as long as you don't binge on them, you can go years watching just what you want.... Weeds, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, etc etc, lots of great shows you watch on your time with no commercials... Sometimes our internet is slow so we don't get it in high def, but that doesn't bother me... Our firestick though has gone wonky and keeps turning on...so we have to unplug it until we want to use it.
Have yall heard about the scam going around..You get a call from Dish and they want to upgrade you, then you pay them 150 that you get back.....My mother in law fell for it...ugh. Had to cancel her credit card and change pass words.. I hate these people.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:34 pm

callmefence wrote:I am presently receiving extreme pressure to buy one of these. After a little research I'm intrigued myself.
They've gotten the price down in the fence builder bracket.
And I might be able to give direct TV the boot.
Does anyone have one. What do you have to say about it.

Do one better...get a SmartCast tv.....you might invent some new words setting it up because you use your smartphone as the remote. :cry: but once it’s set up you don’t have to find where ....someone....left the remote. :lol:
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:39 pm

bball wrote:We cut our Dtv package waaay back after getting one. If youre going to use it as a smart tv, make sure you have good wifi available.

We went cold turkey on cable when we moved to the farm. We put up an antenna and get a few channels.

We can watch Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc on a 5 meg DSL connection. Works fine. We watched Netflix and Amazon with a 512 connection, but it was like watching through Vaseline. Hulu would not work.
1 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:05 pm

HDRider wrote:
bball wrote:We cut our Dtv package waaay back after getting one. If youre going to use it as a smart tv, make sure you have good wifi available.

We went cold turkey on cable when we moved to the farm. We put up an antenna and get a few channels.

We can watch Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc on a 5 meg DSL connection. Works fine. We watched Netflix and Amazon with a 512 connection, but it was like watching through Vaseline. Hulu would not work.

Netflix has an auto adjust function that changes the picture quality to the enet connection or you can manually set it to low or high quality. Hulu does not have that so if you have slow enet you have to manually go in and set it to low quality.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:12 pm

how are all you supposed country people having all this fast internet?

I use to be able to get along with a verizon hot spot but lately it is so slow that it is worthless.

local internet service is through century Link and it is also slow enough to be worthless.

If we give DT the boot then we are down to local channels and we are far enough out that we don't get all of them since they switched to HD a while back.

Believe me I would like to give DT the boot...and we don't have any premium channels.
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:29 pm

pdfangus wrote:how are all you supposed country people having all this fast internet?

I use to be able to get along with a verizon hot spot but lately it is so slow that it is worthless.

local internet service is through century Link and it is also slow enough to be worthless.

If we give DT the boot then we are down to local channels and we are far enough out that we don't get all of them since they switched to HD a while back.

Believe me I would like to give DT the boot...and we don't have any premium channels.

Mine is CL too. One day they sent me a post card offering to take me from 512K to 6 Meg at no more cost. I ask why they even bothered to ask.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:30 pm

pdfangus wrote:how are all you supposed country people having all this fast internet?

Ya and how do y'all know so much about techy things? I don't want anything in my house smarter than me and I'm sure that tv is because it says right there in the name that it's smart. We had an antennae for a while but it must have got popped cause it quit working. We ha e a roku now and watch through Amazon and Netflix. Broadband or dsl-whatever its called-internet from centurylink.
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:40 pm

I have Netflix and Hulu, so I cancelled the large package of cable, but I kept a small package for networks and local news. Netflix and such are great, but you can’t get current shows can you? If I want to watch the most recent episode of “The Middle,” for example, that’s not available in Netflix is it?
1 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:27 pm

No. We like NCIS and it's always a season behind
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:57 pm

AT&T has unlimited enet now that will stream any of the movies and you can get a router from them.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Return to “Coffee Shop”