Smart TV

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Smart TV

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:38 pm

Its gonna be interesting to see what the big companies do if they repeal net neutrality.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:42 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Its gonna be interesting to see what the big companies do if they repeal net neutrality.

This is a VERY real issue with significant implications for anyone who uses the web.
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:41 pm

They have already said in a couple years enet will be floating around every where. It has already started in large cities. It will fan out from there.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:47 pm

bball wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Its gonna be interesting to see what the big companies do if they repeal net neutrality.

This is a VERY real issue with significant implications for anyone who uses the web.

I have seen a couple things on this with no explanation. What is it?
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:50 pm

callmefence wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:
J&D Cattle wrote:To not have to replace my existing TV's we bought an Amazon Fire TV device and love it. We have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Sling TV, and HULU I believe. All are still way cheaper than Dish or Direct.

You can also modify the stick and do a few things which may not exactly be legal but it sure is nice knowing you, in your own way, are boycotting Hollywood.

I just don't know if I could sleep with something called a" illegally modified Amazon fire stick " in the house.
:D

Isn't the wall that Trump is building going to keep all those illegals out?

Ken
1 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:09 pm

Craig Miller wrote:
bball wrote:

By removing this regulation they are giving a monopoly control over how the internet traffic flows. As it stands they cannot throttle back things like Netflix or Youtube or make you pay extra to prevent choppy internet service of these alternative media choices.

Personally, I like these other choices because I think it wrong to be forced to pay $30/month just so they can afford to pay NFL players huge salaries. Of course, these companies say they would never do this but if you recall these were the same companies that fifty some odd years ago offered us cable television and promised that if we went to cable television we wouldn't have to watch those three 30 second commercials that interrupted your viewing every 15 minutes.

It will be interesting to see if they keep their word and see how short people's memories are.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:14 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:
You can also modify the stick and do a few things which may not exactly be legal but it sure is nice knowing you, in your own way, are boycotting Hollywood.

I just don't know if I could sleep with something called a" illegally modified Amazon fire stick " in the house.

Ken

Yep, the wall is going to fix everything and Mexico is even going to pay for it. Its the art of the deal you know.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:33 am

Jogeephus wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:
callmefence wrote:

Ken

Yep, the wall is going to fix everything and Mexico is even going to pay for it. Its the art of the deal you know.

What news are y'all watching. I've heard nothing about being the wall being called firestick.
Don't even make sense. You know good and well DT gonna put TRUMP on it.
0 x
Always take care of your credit. When you need it. It will take care of you.

Tennessee Tuxedo

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:27 pm

bball wrote:

I have been reading up on that deal since I saw it on here. That is a tough one. There are very legit reasons for both sides on that deal.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:05 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:
bball wrote:

By removing this regulation they are giving a monopoly control over how the internet traffic flows. As it stands they cannot throttle back things like Netflix or Youtube or make you pay extra to prevent choppy internet service of these alternative media choices.

Personally, I like these other choices because I think it wrong to be forced to pay $30/month just so they can afford to pay NFL players huge salaries. Of course, these companies say they would never do this but if you recall these were the same companies that fifty some odd years ago offered us cable television and promised that if we went to cable television we wouldn't have to watch those three 30 second commercials that interrupted your viewing every 15 minutes.

It will be interesting to see if they keep their word and see how short people's memories are.

This is about as good a summation as I have seen.. I have read where they talk of having internet 'packages'. If a site you wish to view isnt in your package, youre SOL...

I prefer to maintain net neutrality because I feel the web is one of the last resources to seek out objective truth and news without a taint or spin...if providers 'regulate' what we have access to; well, I don't feel that's a good thing.
0 x
-Anais Nin

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:17 pm

I don't like it either but if you believe in free market its not really fair to those companies. Technically if AT&T owns that gateway and you choose to do business with them you should have to play by their rules. If enough people get upset with At&T, Verizon, Comcast, etc for these package deals some one will come in and offer an alternative. That's how Netflix, Hulu, etc were all born.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:41 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I don't like it either but if you believe in free market its not really fair to those companies. Technically if AT&T owns that gateway and you choose to do business with them you should have to play by their rules. If enough people get upset with At&T, Verizon, Comcast, etc for these package deals some one will come in and offer an alternative. That's how Netflix, Hulu, etc were all born.

Forgive me if I don't feel sorry for AT&T, Verizon, Comcast and all the other big dogs...i prefer not having them dictate what I have access to on the internet, or the worse case scenario, the insane price gouging that could be on the way.
Your point about free market is a fair and valid one. Its a challenging proposition attempting to manage something as fluid and intangible as the web, especially on a global scale such as it is. I'm paying $100/mo for internet at home, on top of the AT&T bill for the cells. It's already insanely priced. I can't imagine what will happen to prices when net neutrality is overturned on the 14th.
0 x
-Anais Nin

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:30 pm

bball wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I don't like it either but if you believe in free market its not really fair to those companies. Technically if AT&T owns that gateway and you choose to do business with them you should have to play by their rules. If enough people get upset with At&T, Verizon, Comcast, etc for these package deals some one will come in and offer an alternative. That's how Netflix, Hulu, etc were all born.

Forgive me if I don't feel sorry for AT&T, Verizon, Comcast and all the other big dogs...i prefer not having them dictate what I have access to on the internet, or the worse case scenario, the insane price gouging that could be on the way.
Your point about free market is a fair and valid one. Its a challenging proposition attempting to manage something as fluid and intangible as the web, especially on a global scale such as it is. I'm paying $100/mo for internet at home, on top of the AT&T bill for the cells. It's already insanely priced. I can't imagine what will happen to prices when net neutrality is overturned on the 14th.

Every time you give the government the ability to make things "fair" its always at a cost.

There is a lot of discussion on here about how much things cost and if it is fair or not. AT&T and the companies put up a lot of money to build the infrastructure we all enjoy. They should reap the rewards. If you don't like it... by all means start your own company. I don't want the government showing up one day and saying beef can only cost $X. That's not how a free market works.

Enet is a luxury that the government took control of. I think if you had designed a product or did a service and the government stepped in like that you would not feel the same way.

Un-doing this should actually help the small start up get in and it should work out better in the long term for the customer.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
bball wrote:

Every time you give the government the ability to make things "fair" its always at a cost.

There is a lot of discussion on here about how much things cost and if it is fair or not. AT&T and the companies put up a lot of money to build the infrastructure we all enjoy. They should reap the rewards. If you don't like it... by all means start your own company. I don't want the government showing up one day and saying beef can only cost $X. That's not how a free market works.

Enet is a luxury that the government took control of. I think if you had designed a product or did a service and the government stepped in like that you would not feel the same way.

Un-doing this should actually help the small start up get in and it should work out better in the long term for the customer.

The govt already dictates the price of beef, beans, corn and other commodities through trade agreements, import, export, and tariffs.
I truly am not one for govt interference. I am for free market (as much as that fantasy is allowed to exist). It will be repealed on the 14th, and if the providers go nuts with pricing, be prepared for 'we the people' to cry out on high to govt to save us from the monsters. Its what we have been conditioned as a people to do. Thought it was interesting that Comcast removed (from their website) their promise not to increase prices after the vote for the 14th was announced.
0 x
-Anais Nin

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:45 pm

One more thing to consider Brute: AT&T, Verizon and several other providers accepted over 1.5 billion in govt dollars to help create 'their' infrastructure to provide services to rural areas.. we know where that govt money came from don't we.
0 x
-Anais Nin

Return to “Coffee Shop”