Your tattoo may be a life and death matter

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Your tattoo may be a life and death matter

Postby D2Cat » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:47 am

0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Your tattoo may be a life and death matter

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:00 am

There's no money in letting you die peacefully.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:57 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:There's no money in letting you die peacefully.

Grit,
It's not about the money for the average person at bedside. I can guarantee that. The real concern is making sure you don't screw up and end up in a lawsuit. If there is ANY doubt, we are going to bang on your chest, intubate and flush a crash cart of meds in you to keep you alive...and it ain't for the money.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:37 pm

I saw that article, and I’m glad I’ve never been in the situation where I had to make that decision.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:32 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me!
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:47 pm

bball wrote:

Grit,
It's not about the money for the average person at bedside. I can guarantee that. The real concern is making sure you don't screw up and end up in a lawsuit. If there is ANY doubt, we are going to bang on your chest, intubate and flush a crash cart of meds in you to keep you alive...and it ain't for the money.

I have to agree. My grandmother was totally against a DNR and when she had a massive heart attack at 93 she was technically gone by the time the paramedics got there and they looked my mother & brother straight in the eye and asked, "Yes or no?" They absolutely wanted to say no, let her heart beat the last couple times but they knew her wishes. She couldn't have weighed much more than 90 lbs but with a bruised chest and cracked ribs she did manage to live. For 2 more miserable, undignified days. Those paramedics didn't want to save her because they knew. But they had to. No, it's not about the money.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:38 pm

TCRanch wrote:
bball wrote:

Grit,

I have to agree. My grandmother was totally against a DNR and when she had a massive heart attack at 93 she was technically gone by the time the paramedics got there and they looked my mother & brother straight in the eye and asked, "Yes or no?" They absolutely wanted to say no, let her heart beat the last couple times but they knew her wishes. She couldn't have weighed much more than 90 lbs but with a bruised chest and cracked ribs she did manage to live. For 2 more miserable, undignified days. Those paramedics didn't want to save her because they knew. But they had to. No, it's not about the money.

Mu grandmother had a DNR and was adamant about it being honored. In 97 she asperated and there was nothing they could do. Told me she wouldn't make it through the night. I set by her bed and held her hand all night so she would have me close.
At daylight she woke up and made a full recovery and lived till 06.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:40 pm

TCRanch wrote:
bball wrote:

Grit,

Guess y'all weren't in the hospital when the ER doctor told my granny that if she didn't want to see my pop suffer she'd need to sign a release. This was during the time my mother went and had a cup of coffee. It was all decided to DNR and the pos hospital wanted the insurance money. I have no doubt about what went down, and that's the reason we stayed with my dad to watch my mom die. The medical industry makes nothing off dead people.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:20 pm

After my grandmother watched her mother suffer with Alzheimer's she put in her will a do not resuscitate clause. She got it too, and died of a stroke in a rest home. My brother verbally told me, so when he was on life support and my folks had to make the choice, they asked me if they were making the right decision. I could tell them with confidence and give them reassurance those were my brothers wishes. Many people feel that way.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:07 pm

My dad spent his last 10 days at my house with hospice. He had a DNR and when the time came it was very hard to respect it, but I did. I hope everyone in my family respects mine.
1 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:01 am

BK9954 wrote:After my grandmother watched her mother suffer with Alzheimer's she put in her will a do not resuscitate clause. She got it too, and died of a stroke in a rest home. My brother verbally told me, so when he was on life support and my folks had to make the choice, they asked me if they were making the right decision. I could tell them with confidence and give them reassurance those were my brothers wishes. Many people feel that way.

Glad it turned out well. For others, I would note that a regular will (disposing of your assets) is NOT the place to instruct your family about your medical wishes. A verbal instruction is also not the best approach.
Again, I'm glad it turned out well for you, BK. Others who rely on those approaches are not likely to be as lucky though.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:56 am

Unless things have changed since 2007, in Texas there is more than one kind of DNR order, and they don't necessarily compliment each other. One is for "In Facility" (while in the hospital). The other is for when you are not in a recognized health care facility. If you are going to go the DNR route in Texas, you need both of them.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:33 am

This is a group with good resources and a toolkit to navigate these tricky matters. (As tempting as a tattoo is!).
https://www.compassionandchoices.org
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:31 am

Tuesday I had to get some tests run at the hospital and made sure they were aware I have a do not resus order in my records.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Coffee Shop”