Why is it?

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Re: Why is it?

Postby Rafter S » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:24 pm

TCRanch wrote:Well, Dave, maybe I'm complicated but after managing the ranch by myself for essentially a year (prior & after my husbands surgery) he wanted to get me something fabulous for Christmas. He actually found a pair of gorgeous diamond earrings that I liked but what I really want is a small, maybe 14' bumper pull stock trailer because I absolutely suck at backing up that big-azz gooseneck and it's a pain when you only need to haul a couple cows/bulls/whatever. And there's a flannel shirt I really like from LL Bean. Over the years my priorities have changed. BTW he's getting ridiculously expensive recliner.

The others are right about shorter trailers being harder to back. It's a matter of geometry. When you turn the steering wheel you get more reaction from a shorter trailer.

I had a job years ago where I drove a truck with a 24-foot bed, pulling a trailer that was just barely long enough to hold a skid steer. That little short trailer would get jacknifed beside that long truck in a heartbeat. After getting used to that I can back anything.
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:06 am

I'll give y'all a hint. Most women aren't nearly as into jewelry as the ads would want you to believe. What I would actually love is a tech consultant on retainer!!!
We have pretty much given up on getting each other "big" gifts and instead take a nice vacation. New Zealand in two months! Combination 25th anniversary and Christmas presents to ourselves
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:49 am

Workinonit Farm wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:My wife would prefer tools. Seems like I won one.

While I do like jewelry, I prefer something that I can use. One of the better gifts my husband has given to me was a cordless drill. I loved the vacuum cleaner he gave me a few years ago (yes, really). He even gave me a blender one time. I was very happy to get all of those gifts! He has also given me a couple of very pretty necklaces. A few years ago, he gave me a great set of heavy-duty jumper cables. The gun case was a nice idea as well.

I guess I'm one of those odd ones.

Yes! I wanted an Oreck in the worst way so that's what I got one year. Named her Fifi and the bonus hand-held with the attachments is Fifi's Lil' Sister. 12 years later I still love her :heart:
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:54 am

Rafter S wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Well, Dave, maybe I'm complicated but after managing the ranch by myself for essentially a year (prior & after my husbands surgery) he wanted to get me something fabulous for Christmas. He actually found a pair of gorgeous diamond earrings that I liked but what I really want is a small, maybe 14' bumper pull stock trailer because I absolutely suck at backing up that big-azz gooseneck and it's a pain when you only need to haul a couple cows/bulls/whatever. And there's a flannel shirt I really like from LL Bean. Over the years my priorities have changed. BTW he's getting ridiculously expensive recliner.

The others are right about shorter trailers being harder to back. It's a matter of geometry. When you turn the steering wheel you get more reaction from a shorter trailer.

I had a job years ago where I drove a truck with a 24-foot bed, pulling a trailer that was just barely long enough to hold a skid steer. That little short trailer would get jacknifed beside that long truck in a heartbeat. After getting used to that I can back anything.

So practice must make perfect and I (fortunately?) haven't had enough practice backing the stock trailer. Y'all are making me re-think my wish list.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:56 am

TCRanch wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:My wife would prefer tools. Seems like I won one.

While I do like jewelry, I prefer something that I can use. One of the better gifts my husband has given to me was a cordless drill. I loved the vacuum cleaner he gave me a few years ago (yes, really). He even gave me a blender one time. I was very happy to get all of those gifts! He has also given me a couple of very pretty necklaces. A few years ago, he gave me a great set of heavy-duty jumper cables. The gun case was a nice idea as well.

I guess I'm one of those odd ones.

Yes! I wanted an Oreck in the worst way so that's what I got one year. Named her Fifi and the bonus hand-held with the attachments is Fifi's Lil' Sister. 12 years later I still love her :heart:

That's the best present I've ever bought my wife, sometimes I think she loves those vacuum cleaners more than me.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:14 am

boondocks wrote:I'll give y'all a hint. Most women aren't nearly as into jewelry as the ads would want you to believe. What I would actually love is a tech consultant on retainer!!!
We have pretty much given up on getting each other "big" gifts and instead take a nice vacation. New Zealand in two months! Combination 25th anniversary and Christmas presents to ourselves

True. And it depends on your lifestyle. Before we "retired" & lived in the city I wore jewelry every day but now I only wear it if I go into town and quite often not even then. Last year we got smart phones as our gift to each other.

Congrats on 25 years! Post pics of New Zealand!
1 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:27 am

We don't get each other anything because we are spoiled and have everything we want that we can afford already. I don't mean to brag but I can back anything pretty darn good....except a very short trailer. My FIL has a 4x8 that is a pain. You can't see it in the mirror until it is way out of whack. A short stock trailer would be easier than a flat one because it is tall so you could see it better
1 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:45 am

We usually get some small things, I usually end up with a bunch of books, but nothing spectacular. The things I need get bought.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:26 am

Bestoutwest wrote:We usually get some small things, I usually end up with a bunch of books, but nothing spectacular. The things I need get bought.

My wife no longer wants any jewelry and many years ago forbid me from ever buying clothes for her again.
(I'm colorblind and fashion dumb so she had 'probable cause' for issuing that order.)
She wanted (and got) one of those dang Kuerig coffee makers for her birthday last month and wants (gasp) 'over-the-shoulder boulder holders' for Christmas, which she will definitely have to go get herself. (Them things ain't inexpensive btw, especially in her size. TMI? )

Me? I just want a couple of GOOD everyday belts. Been losing weight like crazy since I started my diabetes regimen a year ago and exercising, and the belts I have are all worn out anyway. (holes torn out and/or leather cracked) The last one I bought at a boot shop wasn't any better than the ones they sell at Walmart and cost 3x as much. Been wearing a military type web belt lately, but don't much like it.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:47 am

Craig Miller wrote:We don't get each other anything because we are spoiled and have everything we want that we can afford already. I don't mean to brag but I can back anything pretty darn good....except a very short trailer. My FIL has a 4x8 that is a pain. You can't see it in the mirror until it is way out of whack. A short stock trailer would be easier than a flat one because it is tall so you could see it better

My boat trailer disappears without the boat when your backing down the ramp. I bought a Rampage backup camera that uses WiFi to your iPhone.
Pretty cool attach with magnets can use it on the tractor as well. That is real neat for an old neck full of titanium and cadaver bone when backing up to implements.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/rampage-bac ... gI-4PD_BwE
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:00 am

greybeard wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:We usually get some small things, I usually end up with a bunch of books, but nothing spectacular. The things I need get bought.

My wife no longer wants any jewelry and many years ago forbid me from ever buying clothes for her again.
(I'm colorblind and fashion dumb so she had 'probable cause' for issuing that order.)
She wanted (and got) one of those dang Kuerig coffee makers for her birthday last month and wants (gasp) 'over-the-shoulder boulder holders' for Christmas, which she will definitely have to go get herself. (Them things ain't inexpensive btw, especially in her size. TMI? )

Me? I just want a couple of GOOD everyday belts. Been losing weight like crazy since I started my diabetes regimen a year ago and exercising, and the belts I have are all worn out anyway. (holes torn out and/or leather cracked) The last one I bought at a boot shop wasn't any better than the ones they sell at Walmart and cost 3x as much. Been wearing a military type web belt lately, but don't much like it.

Check out these guys, they don’t use holes. https://grip6.com/products/buffalo-belt
And bras are expensive no matter the size. I’ve been there when my wife has bought some and my jaw dropped.
1 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:42 am

TCRanch wrote:
Rafter S wrote:

So practice must make perfect and I (fortunately?) haven't had enough practice backing the stock trailer. Y'all are making me re-think my wish list.

I would definitely rethink your wish list. At the very least, borrow or rent a shorter trailer and try it first. I think you'll see what we're talking about.
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Logar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Logar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 pm

In my case she wants a new (to her) 3/4 tonne, extended cab, long box, 4x4 truck.

Preferably one with no electronic "crap" - so I am looking for one to get rebuilt from the ground up.

Even better if it has a standard transmission.

Hmmmm................

I would not mind one of those either.

*******personal note.

I do not care if the lady is tall or short, over weight or rail thin, old or young, model beautiful, or homely as an old fence post.

If she is driving, has a hat on, is carrying and has her dog in the other front seat............

There is nothing sexier than that lady at that moment. Love it when my old gal pulls in with her truck.

Best to all.
2 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:13 pm

I'm getting a new 3/8's impact air ratchet for Christmas this year, after 35 years,my old one is a little tired.......come to think of it,so am I.....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:20 pm

Logar wrote:In my case she wants a new (to her) 3/4 tonne, extended cab, long box, 4x4 truck.

Preferably one with no electronic "crap" - so I am looking for one to get rebuilt from the ground up.

Even better if it has a standard transmission.

Hmmmm................

I would not mind one of those either.

*******personal note.

I do not care if the lady is tall or short, over weight or rail thin, old or young, model beautiful, or homely as an old fence post.

If she is driving, has a hat on, is carrying and has her dog in the other front seat............

There is nothing sexier than that lady at that moment. Love it when my old gal pulls in with her truck.

Best to all.
if she's ugly ,,I hope she's got the hat screwed down tight..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Return to “Coffee Shop”