Drone

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Drone

Postby Cross-7 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:59 pm

I'm not very tech savvy but I'm shopping for a drone with a 1/2 mile range.
I've found lots of kids toys but I'm having a hard time finding one with that range and good camera quality.

Any recommendations ?
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Drone

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:05 pm

I have a Mavic Pro and it will go about 8 miles. Pretty decent piece of equipment.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:13 pm

I bought one. Took a while to put it together and was I was really excited to send it on its maiden voyage. Made sure it was set to beginner mode and away I sent it. About fifty feet up I wanted it to go left but it took off...and off... with the wife asking where I was sending it... it still went... and the wife now yelling at me to bring it back... it still went until it was out of sight. Fastest hundred I've ever blown.
4 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Cross-7 wrote:I'm not very tech savvy but I'm shopping for a drone with a 1/2 mile range.
I've found lots of kids toys but I'm having a hard time finding one with that range and good camera quality.

Any recommendations ?

:lol2:
I will ask my neighbor what not to buy.
He sunk 1800 in one to sit on the porch and check fence.
He called one day and ask that I keep an eye for his drone.
I ask why he replied the last time I seen it was headed towards your place.
Never did find it.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:55 pm

For about $20 you can get a GPS button and sync it to your smartphone so if you lose it you can find it. Mine was attacked by an eagle or a hawk a few weeks ago and I thought I was about to lose it. The Maveric also has a Home button - or what I call the panic button - and all you need do is push this and it will come home and land right where it took off from. This is handy.

Drones can be very useful.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:03 pm

slick4591 wrote:I bought one. Took a while to put it together and was I was really excited to send it on its maiden voyage. Made sure it was set to beginner mode and away I sent it. About fifty feet up I wanted it to go left but it took off...and off... with the wife asking where I was sending it... it still went... and the wife now yelling at me to bring it back... it still went until it was out of sight. Fastest hundred I've ever blown.

I am sorry but that made me laugh so hard cause that is something that would happen to me.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:04 pm

Jogeephus wrote:For about $20 you can get a GPS button and sync it to your smartphone so if you lose it you can find it. Mine was attacked by an eagle or a hawk a few weeks ago and I thought I was about to lose it. The Maveric also has a Home button - or what I call the panic button - and all you need do is push this and it will come home and land right where it took off from. This is handy.

Amazing photo
1 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:08 pm

wacocowboy wrote:
slick4591 wrote:I bought one. Took a while to put it together and was I was really excited to send it on its maiden voyage. Made sure it was set to beginner mode and away I sent it. About fifty feet up I wanted it to go left but it took off...and off... with the wife asking where I was sending it... it still went... and the wife now yelling at me to bring it back... it still went until it was out of sight. Fastest hundred I've ever blown.

I am sorry but that made me laugh so hard cause that is something that would happen to me.

Me and you both. Laughed my azz off.
2 x
Everyone wants to have a place. Only a few are willing to put in the work it takes.
Red

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:12 pm

The Maveric also has a Home button - or what I call the panic button - and all you need do is push this and it will come home and land right where it took off from. This is handy.

My brother's son-in-law had one. called it home with that home button and it smashed dead center into a utility pole in a wide open field about 120' from where it took off from. Got it repaired, sent it up and first time he tried to get it to rtb, it smashed into the same utility pole again.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:10 am

I did the same thing with a friends. He brings it over, flying it around, saying fly this thing. I kept saying no. Finally I relented.

I was doing pretty good. Sent it up and was flying around. All of a sudden it would not respond. Off it went. We never found that sucker.
1 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:35 am

It's been over a year ago that it happened so I laugh about it these days. It also had the GPS feature but I hadn't synced it to my phone. My wife tells the story and she refers to the last visual of it as a speck of pepper in the sky. :lol:
1 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:05 am

wacocowboy wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:For about $20 you can get a GPS button and sync it to your smartphone so if you lose it you can find it. Mine was attacked by an eagle or a hawk a few weeks ago and I thought I was about to lose it. The Maveric also has a Home button - or what I call the panic button - and all you need do is push this and it will come home and land right where it took off from. This is handy.

Amazing photo

Thanks, I wish I could post a video because its much better especially once I dropped down low and herded them. :lol:
1 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Put it on YouTube Jo, then link it here.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:38 pm

Maybe this will work.

https://imgur.com/CfcJX6X
Last edited by Jogeephus on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Does anyone have anything GOOD to say about them?
I had thought it would be a GREAT way to heat check the herd? LOL
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Coffee Shop”