Drone

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Logar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Drone

Postby Logar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:41 pm

Be aware that there are some serious and strict rules on where you can fly them and how you can fly them.

Fines in to the thousands of dollars and potential jail time.

The FAA has some heavy capability to make your life miserable if you make a mistake.

If you want to be safe in flying them take a course on the "do's and don'ts" before you spend the cash.
0 x

Logar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Logar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:45 pm

Cross-7 wrote:I'm not very tech savvy but I'm shopping for a drone with a 1/2 mile range.
I've found lots of kids toys but I'm having a hard time finding one with that range and good camera quality.

Any recommendations ?

There are some very good systems out there - it all depends upon your budget.

A decent EO/IR (day/night camera) can be had as well.

You can spend as little as a few hundred dollars to as much as $150K for a quad rotor.

I would suggest you take a course from one of the many operations you can find on an internet search that teach basic rules, regulations and flying before you make a decision.

It might also prevent you from losing your machine on a fly away, paying a huge fine or even going to jail.

My best.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:50 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Does anyone have anything GOOD to say about them?
I had thought it would be a GREAT way to heat check the herd? LOL

I have nothing but good to say about mine. I did a good bit of research on it before buying and the general consensus was you are better off spending some money on a good quality drone because in the end the cheaper ones will cost you more in the long run from the reasons people are listing. Mine has sensors on it to help keep you from running into things. I even ran mine into a pecan tree and it flipped upside down and I panicked and didn't know what to do but the drone did. As it fell toward the ground it righted itself and hovered in a safe spot inside the crown of the tree so I could regain my composure and gradually ease it out unscathed.

I use mine at work and can make georeferenced GIS images and things like that. Its very useful and saves a lot of field work.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:17 pm

My nephew has one and he uses his to check on his cows, hay and brings them to his pens when he wants to feed.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:53 pm

0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:10 pm

Have a friend that has a "Phantom" and loves it but must be a different model as it cost a little over $1,800.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Coffee Shop”