Sous vide

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Sous vide

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:50 am

We tried this last night with a steak. I've always had trouble getting a steak just right...Worked great!!!...Perfect, tender, juicy....perfect, just perfect...
Its my son's device. He just got it and tried it. Brought it over for us to try. We don't eat steak much because I had trouble cooking them perfect...But now, I might eat it more....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: Sous vide

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:28 am

Going to try chicken in it today...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:29 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:Going to try chicken in it today...

Only way to cook chicken breasts.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:36 pm

My daughter has one and says pork chops are good doing this way. She was told to use duck fat to sear a steak cook in one. I had some duck fat but forgot this when she told me again today....
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:11 pm

Anything is good cooked this way but you will see exponential results when you cook dry meats like chicken breasts this way. IMO, chicken breasts are vile food imposters but cooked sous vide they are moist, tender and delicious.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:33 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Anything is good cooked this way but you will see exponential results when you cook dry meats like chicken breasts this way. IMO, chicken breasts are vile food imposters but cooked sous vide they are moist, tender and delicious.

So, what would I season it with? Or do I cook it through and then do something else with it?
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:25 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Anything is good cooked this way but you will see exponential results when you cook dry meats like chicken breasts this way. IMO, chicken breasts are vile food imposters but cooked sous vide they are moist, tender and delicious.

So, what would I season it with? Or do I cook it through and then do something else with it?

I'll season it with whatever seasoning I want then put it in the bag with a pat of butter and cook it. For aesthetics, you may want to sear the outside of the breast in a frying pan or a grill just to add some color but this really doesn't do much for the flavor but people tend to eat with their eyes also and a pale raw looking chicken breast just doesn't do it for most.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:43 am

Jogeephus wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:

I'll season it with whatever seasoning I want then put it in the bag with a pat of butter and cook it. For aesthetics, you may want to sear the outside of the breast in a frying pan or a grill just to add some color but this really doesn't do much for the flavor but people tend to eat with their eyes also and a pale raw looking chicken breast just doesn't do it for most.

The skin is the best part of the chicken, fried crisp.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:51 am

I had planned to use it yesterday but remembered husband had a fire meeting. I'm going to town today so i'm going to pick up some pork chops. Aldi has really nice thick ones..
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:54 am

True Grit Farms wrote:The skin is the best part of the chicken, fried crisp.

And on chicken breasts the crispy skin is the only thing fit to eat unless its cooked sous vide to around 142F internal temp then you have something worth eating.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:05 am

I could eat a whole bucket of Popeyes chicken skin only...
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:10 am

cowgirl8 wrote:I could eat a whole bucket of Popeyes chicken skin only...

Well I guess your my type of girl after all, who'd of ever thunk it.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:32 am

Jogeephus wrote:

And on chicken breasts the crispy skin is the only thing fit to eat unless its cooked sous vide to around 142F internal temp then you have something worth eating.

Is 142F now considered safe, Jo?
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:57 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:I could eat a whole bucket of Popeyes chicken skin only...

Well I guess your my type of girl after all, who'd of ever thunk it.

I think it would be funny to have a big bucket of chicken sitting on the counter and everyone walk in all excited to see popeyes only to open it up and all the skin is gone and just meat is left...lol....I so have to resist it, so have to resist it...
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:16 am

slick4591 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

Is 142F now considered safe, Jo?

Not at all. I was just hoping Cowgirl would try it and come down with the bloody scours. :lol2: < just joking >

Yes, it is safe. The USDA has their guidelines which are set trying to make cooking idiot proof so they suggest that you cook chicken to 165F. At 165F salmonella will die in 1 second. However, salmonella will also die at 140F if subjected to this temperature for 20 minutes and dead is dead right?

The important thing is that with meats such as poultry is that once the internal temperature gets over 150F all sorts of damage occurs to the protein and you end up with an extremely dry product. In my view, chicken breasts cooked to 165F are only fit for dog food.

However, if you cook the chicken breast low and slow for the proper length of time the result is outstanding and completely safe. Essentially what you are doing is pasteurizing the meat.

Here is some sandwich meat I made using some tricks where I turned huge cheap layer breasts into something worth eating. Without sous vide this process wouldn't have been safe nor would it have been worth eating. Might not be the best photo but I think you can make out how moist the breast turned out.

0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”