Sous vide

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8661
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Sous vide

Postby slick4591 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:25 am

I haven't taken a Servsafe or any other government indoctrination in 10 years, so I didn't know. Makes sense as European standards are lower than here. I keep telling myself that I'll get into sous vide cooking one day but never make the order.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23511
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Sous vide

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:32 am

slick4591 wrote:I haven't taken a Servsafe or any other government indoctrination in 10 years, so I didn't know. Makes sense as European standards are lower than here. I keep telling myself that I'll get into sous vide cooking one day but never make the order.


I think you'd love one but its a lot different than what we are taught and to use one safely you really need to have some understanding of food safety so its definitely not for everyone.

You can cook nearly anything with it but IMO the biggest difference you will see with its use is when you cook real lean meats like chicken breasts.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4992
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Sous vide

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:31 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
slick4591 wrote:I haven't taken a Servsafe or any other government indoctrination in 10 years, so I didn't know. Makes sense as European standards are lower than here. I keep telling myself that I'll get into sous vide cooking one day but never make the order.


I think you'd love one but its a lot different than what we are taught and to use one safely you really need to have some understanding of food safety so its definitely not for everyone.

You can cook nearly anything with it but IMO the biggest difference you will see with its use is when you cook real lean meats like chicken breasts.

Have you tried a venison ham muscle yet?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4282
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Sous vide

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:34 pm

I have pork chops going in it right now... Should I look up what temp to cook them to or trust someone here to guide me...lol Actually I had my son set it up, he cares about me..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8661
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Sous vide

Postby slick4591 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Whole muscle pork is safe with @ 145F. That's something you can check out for yourself tho.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23511
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Sous vide

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:56 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:
slick4591 wrote:I haven't taken a Servsafe or any other government indoctrination in 10 years, so I didn't know. Makes sense as European standards are lower than here. I keep telling myself that I'll get into sous vide cooking one day but never make the order.


I think you'd love one but its a lot different than what we are taught and to use one safely you really need to have some understanding of food safety so its definitely not for everyone.

You can cook nearly anything with it but IMO the biggest difference you will see with its use is when you cook real lean meats like chicken breasts.

Have you tried a venison ham muscle yet?


Yes, it does good on deer. Not as big of improvement on deer or beef as you can get on chicken though simply because you can get by cooking deer and beef at lower internal temps and be safe.

Here is a venison sirloin tip roast I cooked this way at 131F for 6 hours in blueberry wine and butter with garlic and rosemary then seared and sliced for sandwiches. Had the texture of a good steak.

Image
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23511
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Sous vide

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:11 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:I had planned to use it yesterday but remembered husband had a fire meeting. I'm going to town today so i'm going to pick up some pork chops. Aldi has really nice thick ones..


So how did they turn out?
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.


Return to “Coffee Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jltrent and 4 guests