we need rain

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

we need rain

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:59 pm

I sure hope this winter ends up like last and on into the summer. The past couple years we've had our droughts in the winter and wet times in the summer. Works out great.....
But I don't like checking ponds daily. And when I traveled west, I saw that ponds that way were drier. If you have no water, you have no cattle....
Is anyone else getting low on water?
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Re: we need rain

Postby J&D Cattle » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Awful dry here too. We had several ponds go dry on one rent farm and had to move the cows and calves to pens in a lot. We were already planning on selling those cows in a couple of weeks but hated to move them across the road to a spring pond as they aren't that easy caught. We could funnel them off a hill and down a road where they were.

Bought a farm the other day and winter water already has me concerned. May be drilling a well sooner than expected.
0 x
J & D Cattle

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:21 pm

We had ponds dug this summer....I keep going by them to see if they are filled yet, but oops, we've had no rain...
My loony sister in law once asked how we fill new ponds....I was speechless....
Had a guy buy some hay from us, although I really don't want to sell now.. We bale his place and it made a ton of hay. He bought 100 bales to add to it. It has me wondering if he's heard a long range forecast...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:55 pm

We got our winter oat pastures up ok. Lots didn't. But water is getting to be a issue. I'm gonna have to move some cattle in on my hunters if it doesn't rain soon.
I don't see this system coming giving enough to fill tanks. I'll take whatever we can get but it's gonna take a bunch to get any run off.
As cg8 mentioned. I've seen them this low going into summer. I'll take my drought in the winter as well.
0 x
Everyone wants to have a place. Only a few are willing to put in the work it takes.
Red

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:04 pm

It's dry here. Nothing significant since the hurricane.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:13 pm

We had probably the driest November I can remember, but we had pretty good rain yesterday and last night, and 80% -90% forecast for the next couple of days.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:20 pm

We've been sitting on a good chance with about 1/3rd inch total...but they just upped it to almost an inch for over night. We have so much rye coming up everywhere, we just need a tad to keep it alive....The dalis grass is still green here and there are some trees with leaves still....I love the warm, but would like to see it wet for a while...
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:40 pm

I've already lost what little rye and wheat I had sprout. Plenty of water in the tank and I'm hooked up to the local water system. With that said... we got a mist this morning and have cracks 2 to 3 inches wide. I'm also watching a lightening storm up around the Red River.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

snoopdog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby snoopdog » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Dry here , wheat not doing anything , pond getting really low. Bought totes the other day, need a pump, more hay and fortitude . And prayers .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:14 pm

We desperately need rain! The ponds are still okay in the pastures but the Watershed Dept drained the lake 4 feet to do erosion repairs on the spillway. It's a 60 acre watershed, our main source of water for the cattle during the spring/summer/fall, and it's now at drought level. The cement structure in the pic is the overflow and you can clearly see "normal" water levels.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:27 pm

We're in really bad shape here I've planted 3 times so far and lost most of it because of the lack of rain. We had a good summer for growing hay and should be alright, and having water for the cows isn't an issue I pump it to them out of wells.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:29 pm

My ponds are 18 to 24" low. They are dangerous for cattle and the duck hunters putting out decoys. My winter grass mix is doing very well considering the lack of rain. The soil was damp about two inchs down when I planted it and we had a rain about a week later. Not much since then. I've had calves on it for the last two weeks. We've had some foggy heavy dew mornings that has kept it going I guess? This old black soil does hold some moisture.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Yep...coulda used the rain they said we would get three weeks ago....still waiting.

Rafter...guess the rain you got was what tracked south of us.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:13 pm

It’s dry and ponds are way down hate to put cows on a tank but may have to we don’t get heavy rain with run off. Poor oats are just a few inches up they could use a drink.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:17 pm

Cows could chew through mine in a few days. Ryegrass is still hanging on but it’s hurting.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Return to “Coffee Shop”