How Times Have Changed

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Re: How Times Have Changed

Postby JW IN VA » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:24 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
cowboy43 wrote:Remember when it was the custom for someone to sit up all night with the dead. Never did know why that was done.

Don't remember it, but it was started long, long ago to keep rats/rodents from desecrating the body.

That's the reason I was told,too.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:55 am

Son of Butch wrote:
farmerjan wrote:I was baby sitting for neighbor kids when I was 11 and 12. My mom was a stay at home mom, so I had someone to call in an emergency. When I was 13, some friends had a premature baby and when they came home and all got settled and doing good although tiny, I was asked to be their regular sitter. Talk about trust. I always felt very priviledged that they liked/trusted me that much. I also used to get all the kids from 2-4 couples who were friends, all together at one house so the parents could all go out or just get together at a different house for a night "without the kids". Thought nothing of having anywhere from 3 to 8 kids. They minded me, we took my horse out to ride, we did funstuff, and They would want me to stay longer. Sure, they tried me, but I was responsible for their welfare and I took it seriously.

Today, holy cow, not ever happening.

Sure it does, just a couple months ago in the news about mother leaving a baby, and 3 year old with 8 year old babysitter while making a crack run and forgot to come back for 2 days.

Wellllllllll, it might be happening, but not in the context I was referring to.... I meant that today not many responsible adults would feel comfortable with having a 13 yr old taking care of a premie like I did. OBVIOUSLY, the "mother" you mentioned above, which is a term I would use very loosely, more like she was the oven for the incubation period.... was not a responsible one ...duh... I mean to go out and buy crack.... I know it happens, but I still have a hard time wrapping my head around people who use drugs. Maybe because of all the ones they have tried on me for pain, like from my car wreck in 1989, and the feeling of being disconnected that made me feel so out of control that I HATED, I cannot see the allure of drugs. Maybe I am a control addict... but I want to know what I am doing when I am doing it.... not be floating off somewhere in LALA land.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:57 am

cowboy43 wrote:Remember when it was the custom for someone to sit up all night with the dead. Never did know why that was done.

That is still a custom that is done at least by some here in east KY.
1 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:06 am

Ky hills wrote:

Laws here have stopped that unless you want to pay someone with a mortician license to be at the house.
When my BIL died in Oklahoma cost a fortune to get him home.
I told them my cousin and I would come and get him. Cousin is a licensed mortician. Oklahoma wasn’t having it because he wasn’t licensed in Oklahoma.
Had to fly him in to Houston.
Long way from my grandpa’s funeral and the casket in an old truck to the cemetery.
1 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:29 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Ky hills wrote:

Laws here have stopped that unless you want to pay someone with a mortician license to be at the house.
When my BIL died in Oklahoma cost a fortune to get him home.
I told them my cousin and I would come and get him. Cousin is a licensed mortician. Oklahoma wasn’t having it because he wasn’t licensed in Oklahoma.
Had to fly him in to Houston.
Long way from my grandpa’s funeral and the casket in an old truck to the cemetery.

I am kind of surprised that that isn't the case here too, but frequently folks will have the body brought to a church and family and friends will stay the night there until the service the next day. It looks like to me that it would cost more to take the body from the funeral home to the church than to have a visitation service at the funeral home, I don't know. Also most are buried in family cemeteries, graves dug by hand by family members.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:52 pm

When I was 8 years old a friends just walking sized baby pulled a pan of boiling water off the staff on to himself. Horrible burns over most of his body. For a couple of years when I wasn;t at school I was his primary caretaker, feeding, changing, bandages, bathing and comforting him.
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:10 pm

Things are changing in ways, we haven't discussed. Plenty of late teens, and early 20's, that have never: swung a hammer, no idea whatsoever how an internal combustion engine operates, not even the softest of electrical skills. Dad doesn't get out in the driveway, and put a starter on, while junior watches any more. You hire everything done.
The further each generation gets from the farm, the less they understand about agriculture. My kids brought in the craziest Biology assignment I've ever. They have to prepare a non gmo, all natural lunch, and bring it to school. Some idioc comment on the assignment, that said (methane "aka cow farts"). I've been debating all day, to Esther set up a parent teacher conference, or offer to come guest speak.
1 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Things are changing in ways, we haven't discussed. Plenty of late teens, and early 20's, that have never: swung a hammer, no idea whatsoever how an internal combustion engine operates, not even the softest of electrical skills. Dad doesn't get out in the driveway, and put a starter on, while junior watches any more. You hire everything done.
The further each generation gets from the farm, the less they understand about agriculture. My kids brought in the craziest Biology assignment I've ever. They have to prepare a non gmo, all natural lunch, and bring it to school. Some idioc comment on the assignment, that said (methane "aka cow farts"). I've been debating all day, to Esther set up a parent teacher conference, or offer to come guest speak.

I agree, and think about it often that the further removed from the farm each generation gets, the less understanding of common knowledge they have. Therein likely lies the reasoning or lack there of that ridiculous biology assignment. All of this all natural non gmo stuff is admittedly over my simple head. In my logic I would say that the assignment is part of a slanted/biased agenda either by way of the curriculum itself and or the teacher. If you know other parents of children in that class maybe there would be strength in numbers.
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Things are changing in ways, we haven't discussed. Plenty of late teens, and early 20's, that have never: swung a hammer, no idea whatsoever how an internal combustion engine operates, not even the softest of electrical skills. Dad doesn't get out in the driveway, and put a starter on, while junior watches any more. You hire everything done.

Cows are demonized, yet idling cars, trucks, taxis, planes, etc in NYC, LA, etc are all fine. :bs:

I remember being in high school after Columbine and kids still brought guns to school and left them in their vehicles. All the administration knew, I don't know how they couldn't have, and we had a 0 tolerance policy, yet nothing was ever said or done. I can't imagine that happening today. I also remember using library books to write reports, not the internet.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:51 pm

My dad tells a story of going to elementary school in the early 50s. He said a nurse would visit the school from time to time to give shots. He said there was one boy who always ran off and wasn’t seen the rest of the day. There was no search or alarm sounded.

I asked what if he had gotten hurt. Dad said it would have just been on him for running off.

Can you imagine the different reaction if that happened today?
1 x

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:35 pm

Back then there was this opinion that you were responsible for your actions and looking out for things around you.If a car slid on the ice and hit you,you were questioned about why you were that close to the road when it was slick.If your gun went off in the parking lot and blew out the window,you were questioned about why that gun was loaded and the safety off.Plus,you would be paying for it-not your parents.
It was called personal responsibility and it plus common sense is a rare commodity in some circles today.
Seems like farmers,loggers,heavy equipment people or anyone else who has to work to keep this country going do have kids who grow up with this idea.
I am happy both my children have taught their kids these things along with a work ethic while showing them what a loving ,responsible parent is.They also have jobs which they take seriously and pay their own bills.We're here in a pinch but don't need to worry.
End of rant.I just get aggravated with the idea of"it's everyone's fault but mine" or "I should be able to do whatever,whenever and someone else should make it happen".
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Return to “Coffee Shop”